Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a Remington 7400 on Lay-away, the Walnut stock is in excellent condition with a good bore and has a 3-9X40 Leopald scope. It was mark for $270 but I got the final price down to $250. Is there something wrong with this rifle that O don't know about? Just curious why it was so cheap, especially when the scope is worth $150-200 alone?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The 7400 isn't really known to be a phenominal rifle or the most accurate out there. I think that's probably reflecting in the price, and most retailers don't always recognize scopes for anywhere close to what they're worth. I traded a very good condition 7400 in for $170.00 just this past Spring.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reviews I've read said that it isn't a tack driver. I was expecting it to be accurate enough for hunting purposes though. I'll see though, it seems they are hit or miss in accuracy. Does anyone have one in 30-06? If so how's the recoil with 150 grn ammo? I'm hoping it will be good enough for my 12 year old step son for elk Deer/hunting.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Most 7400s shoot about 2 to 3 inch 100 yard groups. That's fine for most deer hunting use. Stay away from any bullet heavier than 180gr and you should be alright. The action does soak up some recoil but I'd consider a smaller cartridge for a 12 year old, unless he is used to the gun and recoil. I always felt uncomfortable starting a kid out with an auto loader. I started my son with a bolt .250 Savage, low recoil and very accurate. The LOP of the 7400 is most likely going to be too long, are you going to cut it down?

Ron M.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I though it would be a pretty stout recoil, I was honestly thinking of going with a either a 7mm-08 or 6.5 swede or the ever popular 30-30.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The 6.5 is a great cartridge and usually very accurate. I've just finished building an AR in 6.8 SPC, this seems to be part of a new trend to milder hunting loadings. A CZ 527 carbine in 7.62X39 is an excellent starting fire arm and cartridge. I've seen a few used ones in the $375 to $400 range. You may also want to look at a Handi rifle in 243 with the youth stock, I've saw an advertisement at Academy for a scoped model for $230. Gander Mountain had the Rossi youth model 410, 22lr and 243 combo for $280.

Ron M.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The price is a bit lower(usu 350-400 lowest for my area)or it's a great deal! I do have a 7400, which is by far the best model, really sets itself apart when compared to the older 740 or 742's. It's just fine for deer hunting at auto ranges and works just fine to point of deer(kick is virtually nothing). I shoot the Carbine model w/ the 18" barrel, and hunt with it when I'm limited in range, not to mention the gun really loves slinging the rem core-lockt 220's, even at 100yds I can keep it under 1.5". Never had a FTF or FTE and I know plenty of guys who have gotten into a trend of treating em like a poor man's BAR w/ the 10-shot clips in the off season.
Good luck to ya this season!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Portland Oregon and there are only two stores where I do business, both only minutes from my house. The rest are either to far and much more expensive. I hope to have it next month sometime, he'll at least have a choice to use an the Mosin, 30-06, 300 savage or 30-30 by the time we hunt though, possibly 6.5X55.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Funny you post this right now. I live over in Hillsboro. I traded a $69.00 Mosin 91/30 and $150 cash for a low use 742 with a Mossberg 4X scope and 20 rounds of .30-06. I took it out to the Tri-Valley Gun Club to sight it in, and it was great. I know that the common wisdom says the Remington auto-loaders have a limited life, but since it's a hunting rifle I thought it was a good deal.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How is the Tri Valley club anyway? I actually live in Tigard and am thinking of joining. Since this state with such large amounts of forest land gives you so little access to BLM land. California had more BLM land accesss than here.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Tri-Valleys Gun Club is fantastic. I used to go a lot, but since I moved over by the Hillsboro airport, I seldom make it over there.

It has: 100yd, 200yd, 300yd, and 600yd rifle ranges, a small bore outdoor range, an indoor .22 and air rifle range (open 24/7), outdoor pistol range, 4 lighted trap fields, 2 lighted skeet fields, a sporting clays course, an action pistol range, a black powder range, a Cowboy Action range, a silhouette range, and two club houses. The club is spread out over 220 acres of land.

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts