Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out last weekend to put a few holes in our props trailer for our airsoft field, to make it look more battle-worn.

I ran through about 50 Federal American Eagle 115-gr FMJ's in the 9mm carbine, and they stuggled to penetrate both sides of the trailer, I had maybe 10 blow through. The rest just crushed up their copper jacket and spalled it through the interior.

As I was looking into a home-defense load that wouldn't overpenetrate, I picked up a box of Remington Golden Sabers.

To test my new loads, I fired five at the trailer, and had five complete blowthroughs, all with very minor expansion.

Am I missing something here, or did these rounds seem to switch their terminal ballistics charicteristics??

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Which Sabers were you using: 9mm Luger GS9MMB 124 Golden Saber BJHP
9mm Luger (+P) GS9MMD 124 Golden Saber BJHP
9mm Luger GS9MMC 147 Golden Saber BJHP

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My carbine was my principal home defense weapon, but I've since switched to a 12ga.

I was looking for a round that would enter, but not leave, a perp, or blow out my neighbors in my apartment, but it looks like the ol' scattergun will be the weapon of choice here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My carbine was my principal home defense weapon, but I've since switched to a 12ga.

I was looking for a round that would enter, but not leave, a perp, or blow out my neighbors in my apartment, but it looks like the ol' scattergun will be the weapon of choice here.
make sure you use 00 buckshot and nothing smaller. with 00 buckshot there is still a risk of penetration into another room/apt. any round that is capable of reaching the necessary vitals will penetrate through walls. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm make sure you go shoot it at distances less than 5 yards to see how little the pattern is. aiming is still very important with the shotgun, most think its just a point and shoot gun. my buckshot at 5 yards is about the diamter of a silver dollar. federal tatical 00 buckshot with flite control wad out of a 18.5" mossberg 500a

·
Registered
799 Posts
there is no magic bullet . If the round will perform well enough to be a good SD round it will penetrate 2x4 and sheet rock. I have seen 00 buck kill a man after being fired through a solid core steel door some of the pellets went all the way through and penetrated the door behind the vic and it was a solid core steel door aswell. Box of truth is a great site but hands on expierence is a great teacher too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.