Remington M53

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Feb 23, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The recent talk of the Remington R1 and the R51, a revamped Model 51, reminded me of something I ran across while researching the R51. The short version is that Remington made a version of the Model 51 in .45ACP and dubbed it the M53 first for U.S. Army, then later Navy and USMC trials, circa 1918.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/early-automatic-pistols/remington-m53/

[​IMG]

Apparently it compared very favorably against the M1911 but the close of WWI basically killed any chance of it seeing production in a military contract.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

3. papataylor

papataylor Member

I'm going to have to look into this! Hadn't heard of it before

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Apparently, only one known copy is still in existence, in Remington's museum. The article states that another was known to exist but escaped into the wild in the '30s and was lost track of in the '60s.

If I'm reading the article correctly, the museum example has seen something like 11,000 rounds or more through it in various tests and military trials.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I like that!....... I think there's be a market for it today.

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

It looks a little disproportional, like a .32 or .380 on steroids.
    It vaguely resembles an overgrown PPK.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I packed up my computer, so I'm stuck with phone. That picture, from my little screen, makes it look like there's no safety. Is that the case?

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Looks like a grip safety.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think there would too, though I'm not sure how large a market. .45ACP lovers would have to have one and it appeals to wonks like me.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The grip angle is similar and the stylings seem similar too. I guess sometimes form follows function. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From the article:
    "The civilian Model 51 featured a concealed hammer, grip safety, thumb safety, and magazine safety. To meet military preferences, the M53 used a hammer with an exposed spur – snagging the hammer on concealment garments wasn’t a military concern, and the exposed hammer would allow manual recocking if a round failed to fire. The M53 also eliminated the thumb safety and pinned the grip safety in place, at Navy request (more on the justification for this request in a few days)."​

I haven't found the promised followup article, but I suspect that had the M3 gone into production, the grip safety would have been enabled.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    No thumb safety, huh? That, combined with the lack of an exposed hammer, was pretty avant garde. I'd like to see someone put these back into production, too. It would be a fun shooter.