Remington R51 review (not mine)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Stromm, Apr 21, 2014.

1. New gun designs have issues, and Remington QC has slipped lately. Like a new Windows release, (I like to get them after the Service Packs have been released!) I'll wait a bit until the bugs are worked out.

2. papataylor

papataylor Member

Typical hate rant.

No the gun isn't snappy. It's as comfortable to shoot as my pocket .25acp,

no the slide bite doesn't happen, I have no idea what this people are doing. They must have weak little child hands.

The gun needs to wear in, as with every machine.

It certainly does have problems, my went back for extraction issues, but these reviews are people being nit picky and jumping on the bandwagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

lklawson likes this.
  3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I stopped reading after he claimed that he was getting "slide bite" from the fragg'n grip safety and the gun is "unbelievably snappy!" Geeze, what's he used to shooting, BB guns? The R51 is the most gentle recoiling compact 9mm handgun I've ever shot, recoiling as soft as (or softer than) any full sized service 9mm.

Seriously, don't bother with a review that starts out with "I made a video review of the gun before I even shot it." :p

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  4. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

Have you guys gotten yours back from Remington yet?

5. papataylor

papataylor Member

No, I'm afraid mine will be gone awhile.

I have an issue with extracting brass casings, which is odd. It's probably a break in thing but remington hasn't provided a proper break-in period.

I sent mine back just to be on the safe side and to get in on any upgrades they're doing to the gun as a result of all the ones sent back.

Because my issue is so minor, I'm afraid it'll be on the tail end of things..

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Remington still has it. I've been trying not to get antsy and call them every other day to pester. So I've only called once just to add some information to my problem description.

I might call again this coming Thur. and check.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'd prefer to wait until the kinks are worked out, I have seen too many poor reviews. I will let the "other" guys be the beta testers and wait for gen 2.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Half of the bad reviews are either by idiots or liars.

That said, there are some "new gun" bugs which need to be worked out. Some may be semi-serious to serious depending on cause and whether or not they're real.

The two big ones are the claims of out of battery firing and "primer flow." I cannot attest to OOB but I can honestly say that rounds I shot through my R51 do show signs of "primer flow." There is some debate over what is causing the "primer flow." It is, apparently, typically a warning sign of over-pressure. Some have noted evidence of what appears to be uncharacteristically rough chambers which might cause brass to "stick" a tad too long and cause slight over-pressure. Some have noted that it appears that the lands begin too close to the shoulder and, particularly with longer OAL cartridges, might be causing bullets to engage rifling too soon (perhaps as early as when the cartridge is seated in the chamber) and that this could potentially cause slight over-pressure (or worse). Some report that, apparently, Remington is hinting that they think it is reflective of a mis-designed Firing Pin.

Whatever the cause, I can report that my brass that I examined had evidence of scuffing on the front 2/3 or so of the brass starting at the case mouth and that the primers exhibited the "pimple with a dimple" (as some have been calling it).

Whatever the case, I'm confident that Remington will make it right and I have many other handguns which qualify as CC firearms so it's not as if I'm "out" of my only option. I knew that I could "afford" to send it back for warranty repair and not be left swinging in the wind.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTzS4sQfn4U[/ame]

10. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Wow..ok well let's start with a Joey trigger...and we'll take it from there :D

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Not the case, I have seen several bad reviews, not isolated and not lying because the failures were on video. I won't bother to post links, but just the fact that TWO members here had to send theirs in for repairs is telling. I won't be even considering one until they work out the many issues I have seen.

12. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

The one R51 my shooting range got in had to go back because the slide wouldn't pull back, no matter how hard you tried.

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

This is the second time I have read about the failure above ^^^^^, just one of the many issues

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Agreed, but the great majority of YouTube "reviews" are people jumping on the band wagon.
    HiPoint reviews are pretty telling in that regards.
    The R51 seems to suffer from 'banana marketing' which means ship a green product to the consumer where it will ripen.
    Microsoft has done that for years.

lklawson likes this.
  15. Usually asinine reviews like these come from fanboys, who have already decided to do a bad review before even shooting a gun. I also was dismayed with his claims of bite from a grip safety. But then he put up a photo of the scratched sleeve which is very obvious HE scratched. Scratches from machining are straight from slide scratching, those are obviously handmade. What a jerk hole.

16. papataylor

papataylor Member

Mine didn't need returned. I could've feed it ammo till it broke in, but if be silly to pass up free upgraded parts don't you think?

There are plenty others who've had fine examples, you just don't here from them as they've got nothing to complain about.

lklawson likes this.
  17. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Like I said, i'll wait for the "have to have its" to work out the kinks and beta test, I might get one in a year or two when they don't have so many issues and don't need "replacement/upgrade parts" two weeks after I buy one.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, it is the case. Half of the bad reviews are either idiots or liars. "Slide bite???" "Unbelievably snappy???" And one reviewer claimed that he was genuinely in fear it would, literally, blow up in his hand. ...and then he continued shooting it on camera. Seriously, if you honestly are afraid it's going to blow up in your hand are you going to keep shooting it? Well, yeah, if you're stupid. ...or if your lying.

Yes, there do seem to be some persistent problems. Yes, mine and several others have had to go back to mom. That, unfortunately, doesn't mean that half of the reviewers know what they heck they're talking about.

As for whether or not to buy one right now, I have had to modify my opinion. I was saying, "sure, go ahead and buy, the design is new so there will be an unusual percentage of new gun glitches but the majority shipped will probably be OK." Now, I've had to change that a bit to more along the lines of, "go ahead and buy one right now if you don't intend to depend on it as your only self defense firearm because there's a decent change it'll have to go back to mom to be fixed. Rest assured, however, that Rem. will make it right but it will just take some time to work the bugs out of the new design."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. panoz77

panoz77 Member

I'm not referring to slide bite or snappy. I have not even seen those reviews.

I am referring to the slide either being extremely hard to pull back, out of battery firing, misfiring and failure to eject.