Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gander Mountain had the Remington 597 VTR with the A2 stock on sale today for 399.99. Regular price is 499.99. I picked it up and held it. It felt real good and looked very nice. I almost put it on lay away. Today was the last sale day. I decided to wait till they are out a little longer and read a few reviews. I have the standard 597 and love it!
Take a look at the VTR
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597_vtr.asp

Aries

·
Registered
367 Posts
another 22 rimfire AR knockoff. more and more of those these days.

SW
Yea. You are right. They also had the Ruger for 200.00 more.
Aries
Ya that ruger SR22 is just blah idk I have a 10/22 with a tapco stock and it does just fine, I don't see the point in the SR22 when you can get a Colt or a M&P15-22 for the same price, and I'm one of the biggest ruger fanboys you'll meet.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I just dont see draw unless your going to use it as a trainer, but then why not get a conversion kit? For a 22 rifle I stand by the Marlin Model 60, no amount of flash and dash is going to make a 22 rifle more than a 22 rifle.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Varmint Target Rifle? in .22lr? not really the perferred varmint caliber as I understand it, granted I use a .22 on p-dogs but it's all I own.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I could see it being useful for getting kids into shooting, without going broke on ammo. By kids i mean kids other then your own. I had a heck of a time getting my youngest brother in law into weapons. My wife's family was always very liberal to say the lease (I am not trying to start anything here) And they grew up wanting nothing to do weapons and for lack of a better term fearing them. I slowly transferred all but her mom and 12year old brother to the good side. Now three of her brothers have permits and carry, The youngest though had a thing for James bond. This entered the excuse to buy a false suppressor for my p-22 now he is hooked as well. Now to work on old mom in law...lol

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I tried a rental one at a local range. I was not impressed with its accuracy at all. I couldn't get it to group better than an inch and a half at 25 yards. My GSG-5 groups half that size or smaller. The reliability and fit were very good. I shot 100 rounds with no troubles. I also was told by the range master that it will not always cycle reliably with sub-sonic ammo. I used CCI MiniMags, these are my go to ammo for testing and general shooting of auto loaders.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Let's see... 597 VTR for $400, or the exact same rifle in a standard stock for $130...

Somehow I doubt that the stock is worth $270.

Oh, and just so you know, the guys at rimfirecentral have had a lot of problems out of the Remington target barrels. The standard "noodle" barrels are as often as not more accurate that the target barrels. Many, many folks over there have been having to send them back to Remington for new barrels (3" to 8" groups at 100 yards is not what I would call acceptable for a "target" rifle, either).

My standard 597 is accurate as all heck now that I have floated the barrel, bedded the stock, filled in the stock's open cells with JB weld to reduce vibration, etc., etc., etc. ::)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.