Remmington 770

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Visper, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

My LGS has a few of these in stock and on sale. $240.00 out the door NIB. Comes with scope package (generic 3-9x40 - no markings on it). They have it in .270 and .30-06.

Now after looking at them today I came home and did some reading. Some say they are complete crap. Others say they get a bad rap.

After playing around with it, it didn't seem as bad as some say. Bolt seemed to have a slight wobble, and tight to close. Nothing I don't think a good bolt polish job and oiling wouldn't fix.

Anyway was wondering if any one here had any experience with them. The price is really attractive...

Any and all input would be appreciated.

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'd spend $60 more for a Savage Axis. It's a better gun in most respects.

That said, the 770 is a good enough gun, and unless you get a lemon, should shoot MOA or so. Fit and finish aren't great, but it will work with some attention to cleaning and polishing. I dislike the new Remington owners' idea of how to treat a respected brand, but the gun is probably worth more than that $240.

3. Visper

Yea, I heard the Savage Axis is a great gun. I cant touch one new for under $350.00+tax (I know he had a few of them there also).

Of course I'm a bargain shopper though and the $240.00 intrigued me!!

Going to sleep on it over the weekend and make up my mind, really depends what other input I get from you guys and I thank you for your input Ajole.

Now I have another question to piggy back on this... I was leaning .270, nice flat trajectory. Should I be? I know the rounds are very comparable but I guess any insight on this would be helpful also.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The .270 and 30-06 are basically twins in the same grain/same type bullet. But the .270 carries more energy after 150-200 yards in it's typical weight, and the slight velocity advantage and BC makes it drop less at range, especially with the lighter bullets that allow even more velocity. However, the 30-06 can shoot a really wide range of bullet weights, and the heavier bullets can do more damage at long range, if you can get them on target.

Both are long action, the .270 kicks about 10-12% less than the 30-06 in the same weight gun.

So, if you plan to shoot 200-500 yards at animals smaller than moose or bear, the .270 will do it perfectly well, and reduces the need to figure hold over or add clicks in the scope at all ranges. Really, the .270 will do the big animals too, but it's nice to have a little extra penetration potential from the big bullet.

The 30-06 let's you shoot bigger bullets for the bigger animals, or load the same light bullets as the .270, but the BC on those light bullets isn't as good as the .270, so they lose speed faster.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  5. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Great thread. I have been in teh deer rifle market for sometiem and you all know my budget is, well, noon existant. I have looked at taht Rmeington 770 several times (never checked one out in person, just saw them in ads and have read about them).

I'll be curious to see what you decide, and your review if you get it.

I am really leaning on savign my pennies and going with the Savage. I would LOVE to save even more and get the Ruger American......but I don't see that happening.

Remember, the cheapest Savage Axis doesn't have the accutrigger. You need to go up to the Axis 2 for that.

6. SWO1

SWO1 Member

I (my grandson) has used one in .243. 1 MOA or better. My neighbor has one in .308 that I reload for. Again 1 MOA (-). I dont like the removable Mag but other than that for the $$ just fine. On both guns replaced the scope that came with them, really cheap and had a hard time sighting in. Changed and no further problems.

7. For the price its a good gun.

it is by no means a 700 which i think is why they got the bad rap. If memory serves me right, they came along before the axis, america etc. One of the first affordable deer rifles. And of course everyone at deer camp compared it to the venerable 700.

Now, It will put a powerful bullet on target, for $240. What more do you want?

Its like buying a hi-point and complain its fat and clunky.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And still usually shoots sub MOA.;)

9. tallbump

Good to know. I just know someone folks don't realize the cheapest level Axis doesn't' have that trigger.

Even my buddy who has been around guns/hunting MUCH longer than me thought it did. His son has the Axis 2 and his youngest has the Rascal.

10. I have an older Savage 110. great shooter in .243. very accurate, but no accu trigger back then

My point. Accu triger is nice, but it sure dosent make the gun, like everyone acts

11. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Take a look at the Ruger American also.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

There is a little adjustment in that trigger..... I'd adjusted mine on my .270 down where it wasn't bad..... Still creepy, but not bad.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Trigger on the RA is very nice.

14. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The only reasons I bought my RA in 30-06 was it was all they had left and it was the last day of the sale and my employee discount coupon expired that day also. It has been great so far, but I still would of preferred a 308.

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    My Dad's 110 is in 30-06, same deal, adjustable, my dad had it set to scary light, but not an Accu-trigger.;)

16. I guess i have just never experienced the difference of a GREAT trigger, to justify it.

Or my guns are all more accurate than i am, with or without a great trigger.

17. Visper

Exactly Ajole, I wanted something simple, and the 270 round gives me that for the ranges I was thinking.

I'll let everyone know if I decide to get it, like I said going to sleep on it over the weekend, I gave my LGS a call today and he's going to put a .270 aside for me.

I understand what everyone is saying about the Savage and the Ruger American (damn nice rifles) but I am looking for something that will do the same job and a lower price point... its easier to tell the wife oh I spent $200.00 (notice how I round down:D) instead of oh I spent $400-500.

eh... we'll see... Any of the 3 would make me happy I would think... more to come as I decide!!

18. tallbump

TO be clear, I wasn't trying to start a debate about the trigger LOL.

I just didn't want to see someone make an uninformed purchase.

When I an finally able to get a deer rifle, I will probably get the Axis the cheaper one, without the accutrigger due to financial reasons.

If I had the $, I would go for the Ruger American Revolution, but hat aint happening LOL

That is the 2014 G&A Rifle of the year

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ga-awards/2014-rifle-ruger-american-revolution/

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Don't get it. Remington won't warranty anything in it. Currently, mine is sitting in the closet in three pieces. They want $150 for a replacement bolt.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Hmmm...that ain't good.