Remote Idaho school buys guns to enhance safety

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Hermitt, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

[​IMG]

http://www.khq.com/story/29259938/remote-idaho-school-buys-guns-to-enhance-safety

http://gunsnfreedom.com/idaho-schoo...rom-police-buys-guns-to-protect-students/5294

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!!! ;)

We will see more of this in the future as the libby crowd begins to wake up!
    Hope it's not too late.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

[Moderator Note]While this remains in the subject of School Safety, deterrents to violent attacks, and specific 2nd Amendment material, this sub-forum is as good as anyplace. If it strays too far into unrelated politics, it risks being transplanted to the Politics & Religion sub-forum.

-Kirk {Moderator'n Dude}

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    This is an excellent precedent for a school system to set. At some point, administrators and the teaching staff have to acknowledge that using themselves as human shields to protect their students, while admirable, will not prevent shooters from going after other students after they have collapsed. Perhaps this school's example will inspire other administrations to take similar measures.

I only hope that they drill the procedures for efficiently retrieving the weapons while locking down the students. Facilitating authorized access in a crisis situation could turn into a disaster without frequent rehearsals--away from the eyes of students who may recon their procedures.

5. Retrieve? Simple retrieve from a proper holster on each staff member that is given the green light to carry. There is no time to go to a locker, or safe to get a weapon, anymore than in the home with a a home invasion. The teachers could carry either open, or concealed based on the school district. If open it would counter the liberal indoctrination that guns are evil.

6. Hermitt

I did post here because of the 2A related aspects. (I also don't have access to the P&R sub forum anylonger....)

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    There is no doubt that having the weapons holstered would be the best answer. Unfortunately, the school has decided to keep them in a lock box:

Given the fact that they have imposed this restriction upon themselves, they must train the response drills thoroughly.

8. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hermitt

Hey.... it's a start!

How many schools in Vermont have armed staff? :p

10. cicpup

Vermont
    Cop on duty in every one.

11. Hermitt

That is fantastic that your state can afford that in their budgets. But the truth is that most public schools are cutting academics and elector classes as well as sports because of constant budget cuts. :(

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Funny that I'm setting you off with just a few silly memes.

I was applauding their efforts. Now if we can lose this "gun free zone" nonsense.

13. And what happens if that ONE cop gets taken out? Even with a cop in every school it makes sense to have more than one armed protector on staff.

14. One can only hope. But each state can make laws allowing LAC to carry in schools. IIRC Utah has done that.

15. cicpup

Vermont
    What the hell you asking me for? I didn't make the rules. I'd let the kids carry. Well, maybe not Elementary.

Personally I think the cops are there to ensure bullies get charged.

16. Hermitt

It wasn't my intention to be off-set. ;) and I agree absolutely with the "gun free zone" crap! :indeed:

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think it's been mentioned on HPFF before, but it seems that putting cops in schools has inadvertently turned every unruly kid into a criminal. Before they'd just get detention, suspended, or, at worst, expelled. Now the teachers just pass it off to the cop because they don't want to deal with it. The cop can't give detention; all he can do is arrest 'em so that's what he does.

I was pretty much in favor of the whole "cop in every school" (or more than one) idea but now the Law of Unintended Consequences is letting me know that I was wrong about that.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. cicpup

Vermont
    When my son was a junior in High School him and a couple friends set off a pressure bomb in the school parking lot. Plastic bottle, chlorine tablets and some liquid household chemical. A silly stunt that would have bought me a 3 day suspension at most. But, because they had a cop on duty he found himself in court defending against "Manufacture of an explosive device", "Detonating an explosive device" and "Performing a terrorist act" charges. Thankfully the judge realized it was stupid kids pulling a stupid stunt and he got 6 months probation followed by a sealed record. Oh, he also got expelled and they wanted him in counseling before agreeing to let him back in. We said [email protected] you and he had his GED within a month.

19. IMO they need to redefine why cops are in schools. I support police in schools, but I do not support them being part of the discipline process for non violent juvenile acts. Police are there for safety, IMO, and that is it. Maybe they should be replaced with armed security guards with limited arrest powers.

But the problem is, most schools only have one cop, and if that cop gets taken out, or is on a lunch run, or in court for arresting a student for a prank. Where does that leave the children? Unprotected

Arming the staff just makes sense, if the staff is on board.

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

For making a plastic bottle make a loud noise? Pft. I probably wouldn't have even gotten that. The Chem teacher would have likely been called in to lecture me about the dangers to my eyes of not wearing a face shield while "working" with those "household chemicals." "...and the eye-wash station is over there you idiot."

Maybe I would have gotten detention or a 3-day for wasting their time.

Is this the part of the thread where we trade stories about Dad/Grand-dad taking in his .22LR for show-n-tell or hunting rabbits on the way home from school? (true stories, that)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk