Removal of coating on feed ramp(aka polishing the feed ramp)

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by wganz, Sep 15, 2014.

1. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

I'll confess, I don't have my HiPoint JHP yet. A local chain up the road has JHP's for $130 and in a week from the now, the doc is going to release me back to working at the hospital so I'll have the $$$$ to get one. Until then, I'm reading up and enviously watching YouTube videos of those that do.

One of the things that I regularly see/hear commented that the feeding ramp needs to polished to rid it off the factory coating that gets equally applied to it.

My question is: ¿Has anyone tried a spot application of a paint remover to the feed ramp area to remove this coating?

My planned approach is to
    1. disassemble to remove slide to allow easy access to the feed ramp
    2. invert receiver and clamp it upside down so that paint stripper doesn't drip/run down into the frame
    3. spot apply a paint stripper only to the feed ramp area with a Qtip,
    4. remove paint stripper
    5. clean area and inspect
    6. polish with a very fine grit to clean up any roughness exposed after the coating is removed.

If so, what was the results? Linkage to the thread or YouTube video would be much appreciated.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The JHP doesn't usually have problems out of the box like the C-9. Shoot the damn thing first. Most don't need polishing.

3. cope

cope Member

and even if it does need polishing.... your approach seems to be taking the bus to get from your living room to the kitchen

especially since you plan on "polish with a very fine grit to clean up any roughness exposed after the coating is removed."

forget the stripper and just polish with a fine grit..... it will take you an additional 30 seconds without the stripper

its not like you have to grind or rough polish....... it literally took me about 2 mins start to finish to have it shiny silver

600 grit sandpaper is what I used...... very quick job.... then just clean up

of course as cicpup said...... chances are high that you wont need to do anything at all

4. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Dremel with a felt tip and flitz work wonders

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Or simply shoot a couple of boxes of ammo and the paint will wear off on it's own.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    18 HPs, only 1 has had the ramp polished.

And yet they all work just fine.

Seriously, shoot it before you do anything to it. You don't take a brand new car with 0 miles on it and start tearing the motor down to eliminate something your neighbor thought he heard in his car last year.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.;)

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

My Hi Point has been 100% without doing anything to it except buying a couple of extra magazines. Don't try to fix it if it's not broke!

8. BFH

BFH Member

My coating is fairly smooth and seems to be holding. I only have a bit over 200rds through it though. I was gonna polish it but didn't figure I would realistically see an improvement.

After disassembling and a clean and lube. I wish I had done it right out of the box cause the action feels a lot better now. I think it was dry.

9. Mine has worked fine without any polishing for about 1,500 rounds now (most of them lead handloads).

10. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Feed ramp on the JCP doesn't need polishing

I have two JCP's, both with about 500 rounds through them and the feed ramps have developed little flat spots. Doesn't affect function at all, amazingly. In fact there's no FMJ ammo I've yet tried that wont feed.

11. tomwlkr

tomwlkr Member

mine worked fine with FMJ but JHP had problems, usede 550 grit to remove paint and 1200 grit to polish, no more problems, eats anything I put in it

12. As a 1911 owner, I'll tell you that it doesn't take much to help or hurt your feed ramp. 1911's are notorious for having feed problems with hollow points. Mine was no exception. I put 500 rounds through mine before I even tried HP's. Then I took my time and used chrome polish and a q-tip. Just enough to take off rough spots until it would feed right. A little at a time. Then take it and shoot it. If you still have problems, do it again. But break it in first before you do any kind of work on it. Hi-Points, like any other firearm, need a little break in time. It's way to easy to mess up a good shooter and void a warranty at the same time. Just give it a chance first. You might be surprised.;)

13. jcwit

jcwit Member

How do you void an unconditional warranty?

14. Maybe it doesn't void the warranty to polish the feed ramp. I don't know. But if I had to send it back to Mom for a repair, I'd rather send it for a repair I knew I needed. Not for a problem I caused before I even had a chance to shoot it. I'm just saying, shoot it and see first.

15. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Jumper not bad advice at all. The plus is you have to shoot it with at least 500 RDS that is a lot more fun then sitting in your shop polishing a feed ramp:)

16. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Where do people get the idea the first thing they have to do is polish the feed ramp on a new semi-auto firearm? I see it on other firearm forums. Don't polish the feed ramp if it does not need it.

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Some weapons like kel tec still have a rough cut going cross wise so its quicker to polish it the use fmj bullets to wear it down. HP are painted so its not so much an issue.

18. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

Guess that folks here have never heard of a Cajun action job where you put valve grinding compound in a pistol and cycle/dry fire it 1K times while watching TV at night before you fire it to get all the rough spots polished prior to range time. Nor of the Hawaiian rust proofing where they use boiling soapy water followed by a clean boiling water rinse, then coat everything external with silicone car wax and the internals with silicon rod&reel oil to fill the metal pores to prevent rusting in a tropical environment.

You people must not have been around and been experienced. :p

19. jcwit

jcwit Member

I'm not saying you should or should not polish said feed ramp. I'm only pointing out you can not void the warranty by doing so.

My instructions also state to only use high quality commercially manufactured ammunition. But then I shoot my own cast bullet reloads.