Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pinned in the stupid springy butt plate, much better now that it's solid.
Sandog brought this up and reminded me of something I didn't like about the way the rifle "pulls up". I realized that the springy butt-plate is pointless and increases the length-of-pull by about 1/2". It always seemed like the stock was too big for what it was. I'm not tiny at a hair under 6' tall. Yes, fine, I'm odd.

All removed, reinstalled or eliminated parts are highlighted in the diagram below.

My procedure is as follows:
  • I removed the butt-plate plus all of the plunger screws and stock bolts rear of the aft take-down pin.
  • Then used a flat-head screwdriver to pry the rear of the stock apart just enough to remove the guide rods and springs.
  • The guide rods were reinserted with the sleeves for the plunger screws. [These sleeves are not shown in the factory diagram. An oops for HP.] Then I reinstalled the previously removed stock bolts and put the butt-plate screws (without the butt-plate) back into the guide rods with about two turns to hold them in the threading.
  • I laid the carbine flat (leveled) on its left side and pulled the guide rods as far out/aft as they'd go since the sleeves stop them from coming all the way out.
  • Applied PCV primer and cement to only one flat side of the guide rods with separate Q tips, pushed all three back into the stock and left it sit for a few minutes.
  • Finally the butt-plate was reinstalled. Took out the three barely-in screws, popped on the butt-plate and reinstalled the three screws.
BOOM! It's now a solid plant into the shoulder and is just a bit easier to wield in tight spaces. That's relevant because this is my "bump/crash, WTF WAS THAT?! in the night" gun.

Materials used:
  • Phillips head screwdriver
  • flat head screwdriver
  • 1/8" Allen key (which should have come with the firearm)
  • PVC adhesive (I used the Oatey Handy Pack #30246)
  • (2) Q tips

upload_2020-10-6_23-21-18.png

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
I've never had a problem with the spring stock. It probably has more than one reason for the design. It may be intricate with the recoil function.

Reactions: DevilDog58

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never had a problem with the spring stock. It probably has more than one reason for the design. It may be intricate with the recoil function.
I guess I'll see. That being said, it's a simple blow-back system, so I doubt it. Anyway, I usually hold it pretty tight, so there isn't much that should change.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
There's an aftermarket stock that allegedly will void the warranty. Not the Hightower.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't think its a reliability issue. HP probably figured that an owner would enjoy shooting their little carbine so much that they would spend all day shooting it then spend all night nursing a sore shoulder. Butt plate springs might alleviate the shoulder soreness.
Or not.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HP probably figured that an owner would enjoy shooting their little carbine so much that they would spend all day shooting it then spend all night nursing a sore shoulder. Butt plate springs might alleviate the shoulder soreness.
Have you ever put 42 rounds of 45-70 through a NEF Handi Rifle in about 90 minutes? Did that about three years ago. This 9MM carbine, that weighs about 1.25lbs less, isn't doing shit.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
My thinking is that the springs were put in for receiver longevity and not for comfort.
Kind of the same function your arm performs with a handgun.
Ill bet you that you’ll see slide and frame issues much sooner if any handgun in shot exclusivity in a clamp with no “give”.

Reactions: Merle and Think1st

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how a 6' tall dude finds that the carbine's LOP is adequate. Maybe it's my grape ape arms that make it feel like I'm holding a .22 cricket...
Do you mean to say that you do your Right-Wing Militia training* without wearing your body armor? If you did, there wouldn't be an LOP issue.

*Stated sarcastically in reference to what the media says about gun owners.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
Not overly concerned about that.
Anyway, what does that have to do with anything on this thread? If there's a reliability issue, I just put the springs back in. Meh.
Because you want to be ignorant
My thinking is that the springs were put in for receiver longevity and not for comfort.
Kind of the same function your arm performs with a handgun.
Ill bet you that you'll see slide and frame issues much sooner if any handgun in shot exclusivity in a clamp with no "give".
Thank you. I remembered the name of the stock. ATI.
The spring loaded stock is a design to deter receiver damage. That's why the ATI stock voids the warranty.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Do you mean to say that you do your Right-Wing Militia training* without wearing your body armor? If you did, there wouldn't be an LOP issue.

*Stated sarcastically in reference to what the media says about gun owners.
I'm the one that found the A2 felt a little short even with my body armor on... 78" reach and all that... I can flat palm an 8ft ceiling.

·
Premium Member
21,148 Posts
[QUOTE="Rachgier, post: 2674609, member: ... I can flat palm an 8ft ceiling.[/QUOTE]

Most go-rrillaZ can........

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
You have me by 4". I'd have to go up on the balls of my feet to begin to do that, and I'd only be able to do it with one hand.
My house has 100" ceilings and I can almost palm them with both hands while barefoot. I have reach and height on my side. Lol

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
My house has 100" ceilings and I can almost palm them with both hands while barefoot. I have reach and height on my side. Lol
I can palm the ceiling inside of my truck while sitting down, and I can get stuff out of the glove box without removing my seat belt. Now, that's some reach!

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
I can palm the ceiling inside of my truck while sitting down, and I can get stuff out of the glove box without removing my seat belt. Now, that's some reach!
I have to drop my seat all the way down, slide it all the way back, and recline it slightly or my knees hit the steering wheel, and my head hits the ceiling. driving this '92 GMC Sierra sucks. I got in the suburban for the sensor run and was in heaven again.

Ask @undeRGRound , he and the bull have met me in real life. I'm not a small guy, but I'm not real fat either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm still trying to figure out how a 6' tall dude finds that the carbine's LOP is adequate. Maybe it's my grape ape arms that make it feel like I'm holding a .22 cricket...
I like having my elbows at as close to a 90° bend as possible. I use this as home defense, so having the strongest and most maneuverable arm positions seems like a good idea. My right elbow is as close to me as possible and my left hand is as far forward as possible without touching the actual barrel.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts