Removing AR gas block front site

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Dane, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    How is this accomplished? I see no drift pins or set screws on this. There is a roll pin holding gas tube. Any suggestions? Need to change a gas tube.

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Theres hundreds of detailed videos on youtube.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

A2 style front sight gas blocks have 3 pins, the low-pro style blocks I've used have two set screws and a gas tube pin. For the gas tube roll pin you can use a punch to take out then slide the tube toward the rear. It should clear the block and be able to be removed carefully.

5. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    It sounds to me like you are setting yourself up for an Adams Arms piston conversion kit. Once you get that front sight gas block off of there, you can use the all-inclusive gas block, piston and carrier to to have yourself a nice piston AR.

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You do not need to remove the front sight housing to remove the gas tube just knock out the roll pin and the gas tube will pull out of the upper receiver through the inside until its pulled out of the front sight housing then pull it out from the front of the receiver. . Reverse to install a new one.

7. Think1st

Florida
    Yeah, but he'll need to remove it if he wants to replace his inferior DI system with a vastly superior piston system like the kind that you are always saying you want to have to repell hoards of zombie coyotes.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I never said I wanted a piston system. The DI system has worked just fine for years and easy to maintain.

Why is he changing the tube? Get something stuck in there or going with a piston system?????

9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

OP said he needs to change the gas tube. Like I mentioned, knock out the gas tube roll pin, slide the gas tube back to free it from the block, and carefully remove the tube. Reverse the process for assembly.

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    They all showed that I viewed knocking out drift pins or taking out a set screw. I see neither.

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida

I will try that, existing tube is bent so it requires changing. Not piston at this time, besides it would still require removing the current gas block front sight.

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Then maybe you should post a few pics of what you're working with, since it seems so different than the other gazillion ARs out there. Maybe we can help if we can see it.

13. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Existing tube is bent.

14. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Here are a couple pictures.

Attached Files:

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    What is this... :D

Attached Files:

16. undeRGRound

INDY
    Your Welcome. Proceed like Rach said, and prolly m00nzy too...
    but I did not take time to translate his jibberish :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

:D

17. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

How did you bend the gas tube? The hand guard protects it.... curious minds want to know. :confused:

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

Have you done all these?

Attached Files:

19. Think1st

Florida
    I know. In fact, I specifically remember you saying that you didn't want one, last year. I was being a wisea$$.

20. bersa2

bersa2 Member

Those taper pins can be a pain, but I did get them out when i changed my gas block. Check the direction of the taper pins, they should push out toward the ejection port. Good luck!