Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just resized about 3,000 .45 ACP bullets last night, and there are some of the bullets that most of the lube grooves are gone. After I relube these bullets, are the ones with the lube grooves almost gone safe to shoot?

This is my first time resizing bullets, so I have no idea, and the instructions don't say anything about it.

Oh and talking about one monotonous job. I resized all of these bullets at one sitting. Wow, that was boring as hell to say the least.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
hmm..what old are you using? and what lubing method? I use the lee oglive 1 and 2 round nose tumble lube bullets and have never taken hardly anything off of em when resizing with the lee kits......interesting question to say the least....wish i could help ya more.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I have the Lee mold and it drops my bullets out at 0.357 to 0.359, After I re size em, they come out at 0.356.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I use the Lee molds for my 45acp and 9mm and have never had to resize any so I can't help with an answer, just butt in is about all I've done :-[

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am resizing to .452, and I am using the Lee tumble lube .230 grain mold. I don't know why these particular bullets dropped so big, but they did. Like I said, most of the tumble lube grooves are gone on just a handful of these bullets. I can remelt them, but if they're safe to shoot I'd rather do that.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
as long as they chamber, bang away. lead bullets will swage themselves to teh barrel, but it will lead heavier than luber bullets. i shot some 40s completely unlubed and they worked fine, but left alot in the rifling.

SW

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to relube them for sure, I just wanted to know if there would be enough lube on the lead since the grooves are almost gone.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I am resizing to .452, and I am using the Lee tumble lube .230 grain mold. I don't know why these particular bullets dropped so big, but they did. Like I said, most of the tumble lube grooves are gone on just a handful of these bullets. I can remelt them, but if they're safe to shoot I'd rather do that.
The mold might have been to hot with these oversized one were poured. That has happened to me in the past. All the bullets looked ok, but when I sized them some came out as you describe.

FWIW, for the problem went away when I started cycling 2 molds when casting.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't have 2 of the 6 cavity molds, but I do have several of the 2 cavity molds... maybe I should trade the three of them out when casting to keep the optimum temprature for castin....

Thanks Perotter, great advice.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Primal,

If your using a 6 cavity I doubt if it is getting to hot like the 2 bangers can. With the 6 cavity the problem is usually keeping the mold hot enough. I don't know what caused the problem but a to hot 6 cavity probably wasn't it. Maybe alloy temp?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i have 4 lee tumble lube molds the 9mm round nose the 9mm trujicated cone the 38 semi wad cutter and the 40 semi wad cutter they all come out oversized my 9mm's come out as high as 358 but usualy 356.5 or 357 my 38 cal usualy comes out as high 359.5 and my 40 comes out 401.5 or 402.5 i measure every bullet i cast and spin them in the caliper to check for out of round ive never resized a bullet and they all shoot fine espeacialy my 40 i have a jcp 40 and with my cast bullets its a tack driver at 25 yrds the 9mm also shoots well out of both mine and my wifes c9 at 25 yrds also the over sized bullet beleive it or not causes less leading in the barrel

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
6 cavity Lee is what gets to hot for me. Hope Primal tries it & let us know the result. Fixes it or doesn't fix it.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I am casting, I usually keep the temp on my pot around the 7 to 8 mark to make sure that the lead stays hot enough to get a good fill on the mold, but not so hot that it overheats the mold. Once I get the mold hot I usually back it off to around the 6 to 7 mark to just maintain the heat it has. When the time comes to add more lead, I crank it back up to 9 until everything is hot again, and then I dial it back down to keep casting.

I am about to start casting some .40 and some .357 here in the next few days. I'll see how those turn out and let you guys know.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I had the same problem. the mold got hot enough you could see through it with the handles closed.Had to go for a cold one ,and i don't mean another mold.
Yea I have some smooth ones also.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've never used a thermometer but when casting on my 2 cavity 230g for the 45 I run the pot at 5 to 5-1/2 after I get going. On the 6 cavity 124g for the 9mm I run the pot at 6 to 6-1/2. Just found this works best for me with the alloy I'm using. I get good fill with this.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Just wonder what pot are you using? I run my lee production 4 pot at 4-5 and it works great. I also have a little bugger lee pot (not sure of the name) but i holds around 4-5 lbs and is ment for dipping as it has no pour spout. I have to run that thing about 7-8. But it is old and i only use it for melting lead and fluxing the first time. I use a lot of "dirty" lead and found that this method keeps my big pot nice and clean, and its a lot easyer to flux in the little one. I still flux a bit in the big pot just cause i like to flux the alloy every time i melt it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
you guys having trouble with molds getting to hot are you letting it cool at all or just cranking out bullets non stop ? all 4 of my molds are double cavity with the 9mm mold after i get going i can crank out about 30 bullets or so dropping them into a bucket of water as i go once i hit 30 i stop for a min let the mold cool down get my bullets out of the bucket check them over for defects (only takes a min or 2 ) then start over i do this about every 30 bullets when im casting 40's im only good for about 20 to 24 then start over i usualy keep my melting pot on #5 mabye a little over not trying to tell anyone that my way is right and there way is wrong but this is what works for me

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
to keep up with my volume of shooting i have to cast at maximum speed so my molds get HOT. I usually dip the mold slightly into my water bucket to cool it off after every five or so cast cycles. i can cast over 100 bullets before being forced to stop with an overheated mold. my six cavity lee wont overheat even if i cast a whole 10lb pot into it as fast as i can go.

SW

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.