Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats it take to get a CCW in your state?
In Coffee County Alabama-20 bucks and a background check and 3 days later you get your CCW permit which acts also as a second form of ID. Have to renew every year but dont have to do the background check. From the old thread it seems my state is one of the most lenient I guess you would say about handing them out.

Whats it take in yours?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Michigan

First you must have a class unless you are active military or LEO classes run from 65.00* to 300.00*

Then you must fill out the application and pay 105.00 to get the background check and fingerprinting done.
You also have to have a passport quality picture most counties do that for 5.00

Then you wait up to 90 days (mine took 45 a year ago)

Total out the door for me was 125.00 for the class 105.00 for the permit so 230.00 all told.

Its good for 5 years and then you have to pay the 105.00 again and get the background check again. You do not have to take the class again you just have to sign a document in the presence of the county clerk that states that you have had a minimum of 4 hrs or updating on the laws and that you have shot your pistol in the last 4 months for a minimum of 2 hrs or something like that.

It's a bunch of BS but it is what it is!

* note these are the highs and lows of class pricing that I am aware of!

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Here's the timeline for my NC CCW

May 9 ccw class - $60
May 12 Mental health Background check - $15
May 12 Turn in Paper work
May 22 Pay Fee ($90 for 5 yrs) and Fingerprinting
June 15 Permit at Sheriffs Dept.

That's 34 days from paperwork. $165 for 5 yrs.

Oh Yeah the CCW instructor supplied guns and ammo, so I saved $25 on ammo!

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Missouri

50 dollars for class and up
8 hr class. must qualify with a semi auto and revolver by hitting a silhouette at 7 yds
up to 100 dollars for CCW permit application determined by county sheriff
Must issue within 45 day 3 year permit
50 dollar renewal fee.
150 bucks for me, and my instructor provide weapons and ammo

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ohio is a real engima. Pro-gun democrat governor...some anti-gun republican weenies. The permit is issued after a 10-12 hour class and $55.00 for a license. I don't think party affiliation is a sure thing on the RKBA anymore...it helps, no doubt...but no guarantees.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Do you actually have a blank on the form for "party affiliation" on Ohio?

One more god reason to stay on my side of the River. The only questions on the KY form are criminal record and ID info.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pennsylvania:

background check
Application filled out properly and sometimes walk out with it in 15 minutes...
they have 45 days and sometimes they take it...depends on the county

knighted4

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
AZ- 8 hour class runs anywhere from $30-$100- send in application, fingerprints, and $65 to DPS to run a background check- License good for 5 years. Process used to take ~5 days, but with budget cuts and current run on CCW permits, processing times have gone up significantly ~65-75 days

·
SCAR Owner...sorta
473 Posts
Texas

8-10 hour class with shooting proficency (have to shoot a 175 out of 250 to pass) and a written test. Prices for classes may vary depending on where you go. My class was $135 and included the packet (forms, fingerprint cards ect) fingerprinting, and photos. You can also send off for the packet before taking a class if the one you are taking does not include the fingerprinting and passport photos.

After the class, you take all of your paperwork and send it off with $140 to Austin and wait. You will get a letter in the mail when your information is added to the system and a pin number that allows you to track the status of your application.

Then, barring any unforseen circumstances, your license should arrive in the mail.

I took the class at the end of February, mailed my packet ar the first of March and recieved my CHL in July.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Washington:

$60 for application, background check and fingerprinting, you go in and fill out the paperwork, get your fingerprints taken and they have to get your permit to you in under 30 days as long as you are not a felon or otherwise disqualified.

·
Banned
10,897 Posts
It is county by county in Idaho, but in the county I lived in all it took was 35 bucks and a background check.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Colorado (at least in my county):

$52.50 processing fee for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (pays for background check and fingerprint check)
$60 'processing fee' (pays for forms, ID cards, local criminal history check, admin costs)
Proof of residency
Document demonstrating competence with a handgun (basically a class...in my case $100 if I recall)

Fingerprinting only available 4 hours a week. Oh, and their cheap digital camera needs to be working. Overall, between the office being closed due to weather (on the few days when they did fingerprints), a broken camera for the photo for the ID after getting approved, etc., it took 5 visits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.