Restaurant, bar and food service gripes

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SWAGA, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Liberty's hilarious post on the 'minimum wage ' thread made me think we need a separate thread were we can vent about bad food, bad drinks and bad service.

My wife has worked in the service industry and has no gripes with sending food back which always makes me a little uncomfortable as it kinda sets the atmosphere.

Server didn't make the food after all.
    But sitting at a bar I will send back a beer that's all messed up.
    I'm not a beer aficionado by any means but when I say no fruit or veggies in my beer I'm serious.
    I also know my European beers and that's NOT " how they do it ".
    If I then get a lemon, lime or god forbid an orange slice the heat is on.

It's amazing how many bartenders in that many bars across the USA do not know how to pour a beer.
    The don't flush the glass, they stick their thumb in the glass, pour it wrong, the CO2 pressure is wrong or the temperature is wrong and then they stuff fruit or veggies in it.

I HATE that!!!!

By the way, on occasion I do tip 50% or more if the service is great but the meal is cheap like WaffleHouse or similar. Some great personalities working at WH!

2. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Years ago, I was eating a crab patty dinner at a Red Lobster in Schaumburg, IL. Half way through eating the patty, I discovered a perfectly well preserved, large, french fried cockroach with long antenna, et al - imbedded in the center of the patty.

"Oh, my God!" the waitress exclaimed, after I pointed it out to her explaining why I can't eat anymore.

"I'm so sorry," she said as she went to get the manager.

The manager, a little turppy guy with thick glasses, stomped over and said sternly, "Well, you'll have to pay for the Coca Cola soft-drink."

"You got to be kidding me! Your lucky I don't sue your a$$," I countered as I got up to go out, refusing to pay for the soft drink.

Needless to say, after that experience, I've never gone to a Red Lobster again.

3. Rerun

Rerun Member

Once, in middle of the last century, some shipmates and I were eating dinner salads, laughing and talking about the day's activities at an Italian restaurant near the Granby mall, in Norfolk, VA, when Gary* suddenly started yelling and clutching his face!

He sneezed and a huge mucus covered crouton flew out of his right nostril and onto the table!

We all recoiled away from the nasty thing and then looked at Gary.

Gary wiped his face, looked at us and said, "Damn! If that didn't hurt so bad I might try doing the same to my left nostril. It really cleared out my sinuses!"

Gathering up the gooey wet crouton in several napkins, Gary then walked across the room and threw it into the trash can.

We resumed eating afterwards as the food really was excellent there.

eldar

* Names were changed to protect the guilty.

4. cktvt

cktvt Member

Well, this isn't about bad service or food but it is a restaurant story. I was at a little local diner one day with my kids, and my youngest was just at the age where you could let him go into the bathroom by himslef, but it was a good idea to follow up with some questions. Anyway, he goes in, I hear the toilet flush a few minutes later and then he comes out and sits down. "David" I said in a quiet voice "did you remember to wash your hands?" So in this big loud voice he answers "I didn't need to wash my hands Dad; I just flushed the toilet with my foot the way Grandpa taught me!" :eek: The place was full of parents, gandparents and kids, and evey one of the older ones laughed out load. :p David still likes to tell the story.

5. Rerun

Rerun Member

Back in the last Century, in a past life, I was sitting in my favourite watering hole in Oceanview, VA, watching the Dodgers losing yet Another baseball game on a Saturday afternoon, when Bill*, a regular patron got up from his stool and wandered over the restroom to leak his lizard or whatever.

Several minutes later, the bartender and I were startled to hear Bill yelling from the head. The barkeep wandered over to the door just in time to hear Bill yell again!

The barman asked, "Bill! Are you okay?"

Bill replied, "Everytime I flush, something grabs my privates!"

The bartender opens the door, looks in and says, "Bill! You idjit! You're on the mop bucket!"

True story, somewhere...

;)

eldar

* Really was his name.

6. I don't normally don't complain or send food back because I've seen what some of these people do to 'pay back' rude or obnoxious customers. If the food or service is bad I don't complain I just don't go back. Normally...

A few years ago my wife and I went to a local steakhouse for lunch. Walked in and were seated immediately, no problem, yet. Finally after 10 minutes (I'd happened to look at my watch as we entered the place so I know it was 10 minutes) the waitress stopped and asked what we'd like to drink. Having had time to look at the menu we knew what we wanted and ordered at the same time. She brings our drinks, 20 minutes later our food comes out and that's it. She proceeded to serve the tables around us, repeatedly ignoring my attempts to flag her down and get another drink. She never once stopped to ask how we were doing or needed anything else. Nor would she bring our bill to the table. Finally I saw a young guy at the register and walked over asking if I could pay my bill. He said, "You'll have to wait for your waitress to bring it to your table sir." To whch I replied, in a very loud voice, "Kid, I'm tired of waiting on that _itch. You can take my money or not. Either way I'm leaving."

Not suprisingly they were out of business a few months later.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Local place, opened up and was very good, large portions, a bit expensive but worth it. But good help was hard to keep, things got worse, it changed hands, I had a gift card, so we decided to try it out.

It's an open dining room with a counter. Walked in...and waited. There are 5 empty tables out if the 7, two guys at the 8 seat counter, and two employees walking in and out if the kitchen, dealing with the customers. After 3 or 4 minutes, we went and sat down. Some waitress type finally wanders to the table, says, oh, you found a place to sit on your own.:rolleyes:

She asks if we want a drink. Water, and menus thanks. She brings them. And 15 minutes later we walked out. Never saw her again. None of the three employees I saw chatting by the counter ever said a word to us, though the two tables did finish eating, got checks, and left.

I've never been in a stranger situation at a restaurant. No wonder they shut down a few weeks later.

I worked in food service, fast food to steak houses, breakfast to dinner, prep cooking, head chef, manager. I have no trouble asking them to fix an error, I understand mistakes, I don't mind waiting a bit to get my food right. But I make sure to keep the waitress on my side, she's just the messenger, if she screwed up, she'll be easier to deal with if I'm not attacking her, if the kitchen staff blew it, she'll be the one to make sure they do it right.

In the kitchen I was always irritated by the guy that sent his steak back, that didn't seem to know that medium well is actually still slightly pink. Or the guy that wanted medium rare, cut 1/2 inch into the edge and sent it back for being medium.:rolleyes: But the worst thing was if they mistreated my waitresses. They didn't cook it, don't give them any grief.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Had a similar incident at the IHOP in McKinney Tx about 10 years ago. Wife and I were hungry so we stopped in. We were seated and about 15 minutes later I flagged down a manager and asked when a waitress would be at our table. I explained that we had been there 15 minutes and no one had been to our table at all, no water or utensils. The manager said "What do you want me to do about it" with a pissy attitude. I in turn said in a raised voice "apparently nothing if you have to ask". At that I got his name off his name tag and left with my wife.

As soon as we got home I logged on and sent an email to IHOP with the store info and managers first name along with what happened. They apologized and asked what it would take to get me back in their restaurant. I told them to fire that a$$hole manager. They didn't and I have not set foot in a IHOP since.

9. Rerun

Rerun Member

While wasting time at a bar on Ocean View Ave in VA one Saturday afternoon, I was watching a Mutual of Omaha animal disaster show along with the barkeep and another patron.

The other patron got up, paid the tab and left. Several long commercials later, the show resumed. I ordered another 'Mother Superior', paid for it and pulled the prune out and ate it.

About this time, the door opened and a stunning redhead with dazzling Kelly green eyes, wearing a tube top and Jordache Jeans entered the bar. She took a table in the center of the room and motioned to the bartender.

The 'tender draped a towel over his left arm, picked up a menu and walked to her table. After a brief conversation, he returned to the bar and made her drink - a Manhatten Iced Tea. He brought it to her table and then resumed his duties of polishing glass.

I couldn't help but flirt with her. Our eyes met, I winked, and she nodded me over. I went to the barkeep and had him make two Iced Teas. I then sauntered over towards her.

She smiled demurely, then, suddenly she sneezed. Her right eye popped out of its socket and in bounced off the table and onto the floor directly towards me!

I placed both drinks in my right hand and swiftly scooped her errant eye with my left. I straightened my shirt and then walked over to her. She was blushing furiously.

I said, "I believe this belongs to You...". She replied, "Yes, thank you."
    As soon as I handed her eye to her, she turned her back, wiped it clean and replaced it in the eye socket.

She turned back to me and asked me to join her.

We ended up at her place that night and then after a wonderful evening spent talking and practicing deep breathing exercises, she made a wonderful breakfast for us.

Over Danish and coffee, I said, "Carolyn, I'm not trying to make light of our evening together, but, why me...?"

Carolyn replied, "Oh, I don't know," smiling coyly, "you just caught my eye...".

eldar

10. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

On a layover in Philadelphia I went down for breakfast in the Holiday Inn restaurant before my crew was to meet in the lobby to take the hotel courtesy van to the airport. I was seated by the hostess and noted I was the only customer in the restaurant. I waited and waited but the waitress never came to my table. Then I heard the waitress hobnobbing with the hostess for a long period of time complaining how airline crews never leave her good tips. Oh well, I patiently kept reading my magazine. After 25 minutes I decided I had to leave because it was nearing departure time for the van and even if the waitress came now, I wouldn’t have enough time to eat.

As I was just about to get up to leave, the waitress finally came over and asked, “Can I get you anything else?”

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

gag, :( :(

Attached Files:

12. cktvt

cktvt Member

OK, one more restaurant story – but this time it isn’t funny, it’s mysterious. :cool:

About twenty years ago, my sister and I went north of the border one summer day to see the sights in Montreal. That evening on the way home, we stopped in a sleepy little town just north of the New York border, Lacolle I think it was, to get something to eat.

The only place that seemed to be open was a tiny diner-type restaurant with a dirt parking lot (more like a driveway) and a small lighted sign out front, almost out of sight. Being hungry and tired as we were, any greasy spoon with its lights on would do, so we stopped. We entered through a squeaky screen door and noticed we were the only ones there. We sat at one of perhaps three or four little tables and looked over the menu. A single light burned overhead.

The menu was a sheet of white paper on which were hand-typed five solitary items: hamburger, cheeseburger, hotdog, French fries, and soft drink. No sides, no desserts, no embellishments. Finally, a plainly-dressed waitress appeared, but seemed confused as to what we were doing there. We ordered our food; she then smiled awkwardly and disappeared into the kitchen, where muffled voices were heard and a clanging commotion ensued.

About 20 minutes later, the food was brought out on paper plates with no utensils. Sensing how odd the whole thing seemed, we ate quickly. Just as we finished, the waitress appeared with a hand-written check on plain note paper. And there was… no tax, just a sum of food items…hmmmm. But hey, this is Canada, right, and maybe they don’t charge tax for meals up here and um, yeah, let’s just pay it and get going.

We got back on the road and talked about it all the way to Mom and Dad’s. Our best guess is that we had stumbled into a “front”, that is, a phony business intended to provide cover for some illicit activity in the back. Was it a bookie operation? A brothel? An international spy ring?

To this day we don’t know and we’re not going back, thank you. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. planosteve

Groan Groan Groan, but funny

14. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

It was a brothel, and they had seen that you had no ammo ;)

15. cktvt

cktvt Member

Yer quick bro - I only regret that I have but one "like" to give to this post. :p

16. RobbK

RobbK Member

This last valentines day I took my wife to a new fairly nice restaurant here in town called rumors. We had been there a few times before and always enjoyed the atmosphere and food. Now two days before valentines day I went to our local grocery store and there was a guy laying in the lobby he smelled of crap and was either drunk or high in any case he was a disgusting mess. When we got seated I happened to look back in the kitchen and that guy was cooking. My wife was mad as hell but we got up and left no way I want that filthy guy cooking my food........I did not get any valentines loving because of it but I was ok with that as I did not want food poisoning.

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

East of Chicago pizza recently opened up a new place here in town and advertises itself as a pizza buffet restaurant. The other EoC is a carryout/delivery only place, no sit down arrangements.
    Place had been open a week or two, so I decided to stop in there with my mom for buffet about 2pm. Well, the buffet hours were 11 to 1 or 4 to 6(IIRC), so we decided we'd order a pizza instead. We sat down an d waited for someone to come take our order; took a little bit of time, and the lady must not have worked there very long because she didn't know their Chicago-style came in only 1 size(I didn't either, but the menu only showed 1 size available), because she asked what size we wanted. She came back and told us it was only 1 size; told her it was fine and also ordered breadsticks with out pizza.
    About 5 minutes later the lady came back checking on another table and asked to verify what we ordered; breadsticks,and chicago-style pepperoni. We waited for quite awhile before she came back out and re verified what we ordered; we were only 1 of 3 tables ordering food in there.
    A bit later(we'd probably been in there 30~45 minutes already) and she finally brings our pizza out to us. Cut into it and find it's pep and sausage and maybe onions(sauce could have had it in it, but I don't know). Also, the pizza was warm, not hot.
    We're half way through our pizza when she comes back to check on us and we told her we ordered just pepperoni and still hadn't gotten our breadsticks yet. She mentioned something about the crew in the back had lost our order slip. She brings the sticks out after a few minutes with a bowl of marinara sauce to dip them in. We're pretty full by now, but I figured I'd try one for the hell of it. The sauce was cold, like they just pulled it out of the fridge and plopped it into the bowl to be sent out to us.

While we waited/ate, a few other people came in for buffet too, but they were given the choice between leaving or staying and ordering from the menu, most walked out. If you're going to make a big deal about being a pizza buffet place, BE a pizza buffet place, not just during a few hours of the day.

The lady wrote out another order slip for us and only wrote down we had a medium pizza instead of a chicago-style. The manager must have been the only one trained to run register because one of the people standing around had to go get the guy when we said we wanted to pay for the meal. The guy was wondering if we were dine in or carry out, even though we had our order slip with us.

18. Rerun

Rerun Member

When I order a medium pizza, I always request them to cut it into six slices instead of eight!

When they ask , "Why six slices...?"

I always reply, "It's because I can't eat eight!"

eldar

19. planosteve

Bad, very very bad :D

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's no way to run a restaurant.:rolleyes: