Retainer Pin Upgrade / Replacement

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Cybafish20, Nov 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

So I know there is a post referring to threaded retainer pins, and that is not really what I was looking for.

I was just hoping to find a solid retainer pin for the JHP 45 rather than this curled up sheet metal that it comes with

It seems anything relating to the hi point is hard to find.

2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Any thing is better than the roll pin. Pick through any screws you have - you'll find one that fits.

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I like the roll pin. It has a bit more flex and tension than a solid pin without needing to be press fit, meaning it won't vibrate out of a slightly large hole like a solid pin might. It also won't be as likely to wallow the hole out over time.

Function despite loose tolerances, keeping prices down...the roll pin is a win in this application.

There's reasons people use the things they use in a design, and sometimes, those reasons make sense.:p

4. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I had to replace the pin twice, the folds bend sometimes when pushing it out, I've tried various tools and various amounts of pressure (more seems to work better in not damaging it)

I was hoping to get a black solid pin or even one with a cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other for removal. I could probably make one out of a lip piercing actually.

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Really?:confused:

I have 10 HP pistols...never damaged a single roll pin.

How do you bend the fold, when pushing on the end? Are you using the right size punch?

6. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

Yeah the punch is the exact same size as the pin actually. It usually happens when I am pushing the pin out, I think right as the pin pushes out, it turns as it falls and just scrapes against something - but I am not sure. I don't have one of them now and the one I have now hasn't done that, I might have just had some faulty pins, but no reason not to get a solid pin :p .

I don't see why a solid pin would react to vibrations more, although I do understand basic engineering and physics principles (basic, I'm not really an expert at it, like you might find some keyboard physicists claiming to be in any chat room pretty much. Being that I am not retarded I think I could understand if somebody told me why a rolled pin would absorb the vibrations more.

If it is the case I might go with a threaded pin. Or I could maybe figure out how to make it an easy take down pin, that can be done without tools (though I have doubts about my success)

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

So...why do you want to take the gun apart so much?:confused:

I do it once a year or so, just for fun, so the roll pin isn't really an issue. The manual says brush the bore every 300-400 rounds, and disassemble after 1500-2000 rounds, IIRC. Do you shoot enough that you need to do that often?:confused:

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

This guys posts all are about some completely unnecesary modification to his gun. I truly don't believe the roll pin has come out that many times all on its own. Id think anyone else would have had the problem before. And a roll pin has tension because its usually not concentric like a solid pin so its used in high vibration areas so it holds.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Am I reading this right?

Here's the forum disclaimer;

DO NOT USE RANDOM UNAPPROVED PARTS ON A GUN......ANY GUN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.