Retirement Home (Shop) in progress

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Atomic_Ed, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

MaryB's post on her new shop inspired me to throw up this post on mine.

I had the shell built about 12 years ago and due to a divorce and life in general, I never got around to finishing it off. But recently, I find myself nearing retirement and wanted to have my man cave finished when I get there.

Basic structure 30' by 40' by 14'

[​IMG]

Shed for the compressor

[​IMG]

And the deal of the decade.

My electrician also installs air conditioning. He had a new unit setting in the back of his shop that he wasn't able to sell in 4 years because it wasn't a heat pump style heating unit, only resistance heat. He was getting ready to ship it back to the manufacturer for a loss, but offered me the unit for his cost, thus saving him shipping costs. It's a 3 ton unit with a full 10 year warranty!

I'm not too worried about operating costs in that I'll be keeping the shop around 58F in the winter and around 80F in the summer. (We have a relatively warm climate here.) I'll also will have R18 walls and R30 insulation in the ceilings when I'm done.

[​IMG]

More to come.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Very nice! Utilitarian and well equipped for climate.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Nice! Is that a loft or attic in there?

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Yep, It's a mezzanine area for storage. The 14' ceiling gives me 7' above and 7' below. It was a cheap way to pick up another 300 sq. ft. I'll put in my reloading station, gun cleaning/work station, gun safe, wine cooler :D, some storage, and a general work station under the mezzanine. I can always extend the mezzanine out later if I think I need to.

I'm putting together a jib crane to pick up heavy items off the main floor and swing them through the gate in the mezzanine rail.

[​IMG]

Shot from the mezzanine. The open area will probably wind up with a lift for cars and motorcycles. Several projects already on the books.:) I still gotta figure out a target range for the pellet guns into this somehow.

We did a tip up on the drywall framing. I was the framer's "gofer boy"/helper. Decided to go with sheet rock vs. OBS since the cost was the same, even including the mudding cost. The nice finish will make the S.O. happy.

2-220v outlets for welder/powder coat oven. Did a lot of the finish electrical myself. I noticed that I had a welding station next to the reloading station; not too smart on my part, so the reloading station gets moved.:eek:

[​IMG]

Here's the mezzanine.

[​IMG]

Working on the insulation and sheet rock over the next few weeks.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. undeRGRound

INDY
    LOL, yes, some stray powder and welders do NOT MIX!!! :rofl:

6. lsi1

lsi1 Member

thats an awesome space I am super jealous. May you have many years to enjoy it.

7. Rerun

Rerun Member

Two things ~

Better protection for your AC Unit - a metal cage to keep others from walking off with it;

And, any chance of putting in a down stairs cellar?

Other than that, good show!

With jealousy,

eldar

8. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Thanks! I plan to live forever...so far, so good!

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Good thinking on the AC unit. It is close to a busy street on the blind side of the house. But this is a very good area with little crime, so I don't need to jump out there and get it done right now. Good project when I get my welder back up and running!

The floor is 5" of fiberglass reinforced concrete. Had a heck of a time cutting out the holes for the mezzanine footings. Not much possibility on the down stairs. I have thought about a dugout that comes underneath from the outside.

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Very nice! I'd love to have a good sized workshop like that.

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    Hobbits do live longer ;)
    (you said you have great big footZ) :rofl:

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Nice! I thought about going higher but in a MN winter that is more to heat! Mine got used today to do some antenna work out of the cold. Holding about 46 in there with it 21 outside with no heat. I have to assemble an antenna in there tomorrow so the heater will go on when I get up. Run while I wake up and get motivated to bring it up to warm!

13. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Thanks Mary! I get it about your shop in MN. I lived in Iowa for 5 years and the climate difference between there and Eastern Washington is pretty dramatic. I'm fighting heat, not cold.

Pretty clever of you using tin on the inside. :)

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Makes the inside washable! Hose it down now and then if needed. Pretty common construction here now. The interior steel really stiffens up the building to resist the high winds we get here.

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

We got the winds alright. We recorded 119 mph gust on top of Rattlesnake mtn. Tuesday, just 5 miles from me. 72 mph gust in my neighborhood. Our winds are really the only bad weather condition here. Otherwise, pretty temperate climate-wise.

My purloins are on 24" spacing instead of 30" to accommodate the wind loading. Posts are an extra foot and fully concreted in place. About 5 yds. of concrete just in the footings. Double roof trusses too.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  16. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

This summer right before the bearings gave up in the wind gauge

[​IMG]

it is often 30mph++ for 3-4 days during storms in winter with gusts to 70mph... it takes a toll on things!

17. Rerun

Rerun Member

Sounds like good wind for running turbines for off grid power.

Do You have that or is it in Your future?

Inquisitive eldar

18. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Before we started putting up sheet rock on the ceiling, I thought installing a gable vent system was in order. With insulation on both the roof and the ceiling, I'll have an insulated box for the attic. We installed a vent in each end and this fan on one vent. Air will be pulled through the attic space to reduce heat load.

[​IMG]

The fan is temperature controlled and will kick on when the attic hits 120F. The fan is also switched so that I can turn it completely off and let the heat build in the winter.

[​IMG]

Back to insulating and hanging sheet rock next week end.:)

19. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Working on something... the league of cities got to the rural MN counties and got them to pass regulations on wind turbines. They have to be commercial UL approved on approved engineered towers... with no out for the experimenter. But I plan on getting one of those 16 foot decorative farm windmills and adding a nice little generator to it.

I refuse to grid tie due to all the regulations that go with it including mandatory $300k liability on just the wind system in case it damages the utility equipment. There has never been a case of that happening that I know of!

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Toss 200 feet of pex up there coiled around the attic and use it as a pre-feed for your water heater in summer(have to drain and bypass it in winter) and use some of that free heat!