Retro rifle update

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by GoesBang, Jul 15, 2020.

1. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Been spending a lot of money on period correct parts for a Colt 601. Brownells sells lower receivers, but the color is not quite the XM/Colt grey. The upper receiver purchased last year is black. Wasn’t really thinking about it at the time. Grey is out of stock.

The dimpled controls are period correct reproductions. The colors, other than the magazine release button, are correct.

I’ve got a tool for the flash hider on order. Once I get it, I’ll switch out the birdcage to a duckbill.

Called a metal refinisher about 90 miles away who will re-anodize the aluminum parts with a reasonably close color match for about $100.

IMG_0359.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_9942.jpg
    IMG_0280.jpg

Rabidwookie, Think1st and moona11 like this.

2. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Looks Awesome!!! Great classic look, not bad on the re-anodizing in my opinion either.

Thanks for sharing.

3. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Enjoyed @cicpup retro build, you have a nice looking one as well.

I would like a retro build, not of the M16A1 I was issued in the FMF, but of my scoped M16A1 I was issued in my reserve unit. I would love to have one of the Colt 3 power scopes with the upside down post reticle.
    upload_2020-7-15_19-23-38.png

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Rabidwookie and big_bad_doug like this.
  4. GoesBang

Still a couple of small parts shy and of course a refinishing of both receivers.

It looks like it could be a lethal tool in some kind of conflict.

IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg

Dagwood, histed, Rabidwookie and 3 others like this.
  5. GoesBang

Replaced a few more parts today.
    Magazine catch (dimpled rivet/gray).
    Trigger guard (gray)
    Dust cover/port door (large square pad/gray)

IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg

Visper likes this.
  6. histed

histed Supporting Member

I may have to come out of retirement just so I can build one of these. I really want an A1 platform. I want a bulldog on the mag well

greg_r likes this.
  7. Should be like the Mack bulldog- positioned forward.

histed likes this.
  8. GoesBang

Here are the most recent pictures of the project.
    IMG_0708.jpg
    Replaced the black duckbill with an XM gray. I should return the black one because it was supposed to be period correct. The shoulders are even too far forward.

IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    With the M7 bayonet attached.
    IMG_0702.jpg
    Delta charging handle
    IMG_0703.jpg
    Chrome BCG. Even has the machined firing pin retainer.
    IMG_0705.jpg
    Dimples in all the appropriate places. The mag release button is not as dark as it appears. Horizontal lines.
    IMG_0701.jpg
    More dimples and the period correct colors.
    IMG_0709.jpg
    3 Colt stamped 20 round mags (I have a NOS one coming). There are 5 gray mags from Brownells here too.

lklawson and Dagwood like this.
  9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Retired means you work because you want to, not because you have to.

If you want to work, do whatever you like. Dig Ditches. Tutor. Whatever.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

histed likes this.
  10. GoesBang

Colt (NOS) old style 20-round mag. It was a gift.
    IMG_0717.jpg
    IMG_0720.jpg
    IMG_0718.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg

Machined firing pin retainer. IMG_0722.jpg

Visper likes this.
  11. GoesBang

Here’s some good background information on Colt stamped mags.

[2] United States Government Issue (USGI) Spec Magazines
    =====

[2-1] USGI 20 Round Magazines
    -------
    USGI 20-round mags are aluminum, straight-bodied, and are angled at the bottom. Like all USGI mags, they are hard-coat anodized, then coated with a gray moly dry-film. Floorplates are generally black aluminum, marked with the manufacturer's name and city/state.
    Back

[2-1-1] Early Designs
    -------
    The original AR-15 magazines were made by ArmaLite, the company responsible for the design of the AR-10 and AR-15 rifles, among others.
    They were aluminum, 20-round magazines and had waffle-pattern ridges, though later examples had only the vertical ridges. These mags are very
    rare, and are generally collectors' items. Floorplates were stamped:

ArmaLite(r) AR-15
    Patents Pending
    CAL. 223
    COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG.CO.INC.
    HARTFORD, CONN.U.S.A.
    Back

[2-1-2] Colt
    -------
    All Colt-marked magazines were actually made by a sub contracter, Universal Industries, a division of Okay Industries. GI-Contract Colt 20s had alloy followers and are marked with a "UI" stamp (for Universal Industries) on the front narrow wall of the magazine. Tilted on it's side, the "UI" becomes a "CH" (Colt, Hartford). The US Military switched to 30-round magazines in the early 1970s, and Colt-marked 20s made after the switch had black plastic followers. Anodizing is generally gray or silver in color.
    Back

[2-1-2-1] Colt .223
    ---------
    Early US Air Force contract magazines. Early runs had shiny alloy followers; later runs were dull alloy. Made from 1965-1967. Floorplates stamped:

(Pony) COLT AR-15
    CAL. .223
    COLT'S PT.F.A.MFG. CO.INC.
    HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.
    Back

[2-1-2-2] Colt 5.56mm
    ---------
    Army and late Air Force contract Colt mags with 5.56 stamping. These have dull alloy followers. Note that there are no dimensional differences between mags marked .223 vs. 5.56. Made from 1969-1971. Floorplates stamped:

(Pony) COLT AR-15
    CAL. 5.56 MM
    COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. INC.
    HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.
    Back

[2-1-2-3] Colt Commercial 5.56mm
    --------- Colt sold mags made for the commercial market with standard USGI mag bodies and black plastic followers. Generally, the black plastic followers are considered less reliable than the Mil-Spec alloy followers. Made from 1980-1989. Floorplates stamped:

(Pony) CAL. 5.56 MM
    COLT'S FIREARMS DIVISION
    COLT INDUSTRIES
    HARTFORD, CONN. U.S.A.