Returning for repair need to be overnighted?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by warhawk77, May 6, 2014.

1. I have seen this both ways. After reading the sticky on this subject I'm still confused.

If I am mailing a carbine back does it have to be over night? How about a pistol?

2. rickm

rickm Member

Best thing to do is make contact with Hi Point and follow their instruction dont just send it to them unannounced

3. Yeah I have to call them tomorrow but would like to know if I will be spending $40 or $15 to ship.

4. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I have mailed 4-995 carbines back to MoM.
    I put it in a cardboard box.
    I wrap it in brown wrapping paper with Hi Point's address & my return address
    I mark it as "MACHINE PARTS", as informed by MoM.
    I take it to my local Post Office, and pay $10.34 to ship it.
    Nobody has asked me what is in the box
    I do not pay for insurance or over-night shipping
    You can not make a claim on Postal Insurance unless you have a printed receipt for what you insured. Hand written notes from a guy in a Wal Mart parking lot don't work. Save your money!

I have Never shipped a hand gun?
    My brother shipped a pistol back to Ruger. They sent him a pre-paid Fed EX box with instructions on how to call for the return pick-up the next day?
    I don't think YOU can ship a handgun by USPS, unless you are a FFL? My FFL receives my pistols sent to him by USPS all the time?

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  5. Tyler-Durden77

Tyler-Durden77 Member

When I shipped my C9 back I was told that if it is not functional it could be shipped USPS because at that point it is nothing more than "machined parts." My gun was working so I ended up using UPS ground for around $11. When I was asked what was in the box I told them "machined parts."

6. Overnight is a UPS policy implemented because too many guns were winding up going home with their sticky fingered employees. Overnight requires everyone handling a package to sign off on it, so less temptation to "lose" one. If ya tell them it is a gun, they want Overnight. So don't tell them.

Fed law sez you have to inform it is a gun ONLY if the recipient is NOT an FFL. The only situation this would apply is if you were shipping a gun to yourself, for an out of state hunt in care of the outfitter, for instance. Or an in-state transfer to another in state resident, no FFL needed under Fed law. Going to an FFL, no notification needed.

USPS, you can only ship long guns, handguns require an FFL. USPS regs on what is a handgun are not the same as the one ATF uses, so a bare Glock frame for instance could be mailed, but a fully assembled one could not.

7. johnnyBgood

johnnyBgood Member

DO NOT ship your hand gun USPS and say it's "machine parts" . If it's scanned and found to be a hand gun it's a felony

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No, it really isn't. As long as it was disassembled, you are 100% correct to call it Machine Parts, and will have no issues. If you are really worried about it, leave out a firing pin spring, then you truly are not shipping a gun, as the parts in the box cannot possibly be assembled into a working gun.

9. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

The "firearm" is the part which has the serial number on it. It can not be shipped through less than legal means. Playing with names does not change it from being a firearm by legal definition.

Only FFLs can use the USPS to ship handguns. The rest of us are forced to use a common carrier such as FedEx or UPS.

Other restrictions still apply.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You are correct in regard to handguns, I forgot the part about the frame.:(

Here is the USPS word on shipping guns.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

"Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C."

Of course, if you spend the $30 for a collectors license, the 03 C&R FFL license, THEN you can ship via USPS to the manufacturer or even other licensees.

11. GoesBang

You still need to be careful with the 03 C&R license. It's not meant to be used for "commercial" purposes. Personal only.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

Ummm...yeah. Like sending a gun back to mom, right?;)

You can also use it with guns you sell to others, as long as it isn't excessive, and makes sense within your collecting. As in, I bought 4 Arisakas, picked the best one, and sold off the rest. If you do that once in a while, and don't make a ton of money, its good to go. Do it monthly, and you may have issues.

13. GoesBang

I'm not 100% sure about the "sending back to mom."

Someday I plan on getting a Class 07 FFL, Manufacturer. Do I plan on making firearms? Maybe. Will it ease in shipping firearms the quickest and most economical way? Of course! It will also give me the authority to make changes to the receiver on anyone's firearm.

No license is required to make and sell drop-in parts, but any time you make any change (drilling, tapping, filing, milling, etc) to a receiver then you have to be a 07 FFL. A 01 Gunsmith does have the legal authority to do those changes.

14. So what is a "handgun frame"? A 1911 frame that has only ever been attached to a MechTech rifle upper? An AR15 lower with stock but no upper, the lower marked "AR15 pistol" on it? Ever since folks started to make handgun/carbine kits and "hand cannons" based on traditional rifle receivers, it is kinda hard to define what is and isn't a handgun frame. Even ATF uses "other" on their 4473s to transfer a new bare frame as it could be used to assemble almost anything!

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The frame is the part with a serial number.;)
    The handgun part is anyone's guess.:p