Returning to battery

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by DaveB61, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

Hi, just bought a Hi Point c9 last month and have to say it is a very accurate pistol! I grouped them better with my c9 than with my ruger p89. Had a question about the slide failing to return to full battery on occasion. Sometimes the slide fails to return to full battery leaving a 3/16 gap between slide and breech. I bump the back of the slide and it will return to battery. My question is is there a fix to this problem? New to the forum and would appreciate any help.

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome daveb, Probably just a break in thing. How many rds have you put down range? Does it do it every time? I'm sure someone here will have some good advice for you.

3. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

Ive only put 150 rnds through it and no it doesn't do it every time. Just worried That I might be gouging the surface of the barrel or the surface underneath the extractor when I bump it closed.

4. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Take the slide off and check for any burrs machine defects on the bottom of the slide and check the receiver also then lube both surfaces. Sounds like it just may need some break in to smooth out, not normally the case but try above and see if it helps.

5. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

slide has been polished, feed ramp polished, follower in magazine polished. everything seems to move very freely. what happens is as the round is most of the way chambered the end with the primer is not seated flush against the wall behind the extractor, its tweaked just a bit and when you bump the slide, the round seats fine and slide closes. Just wondering if this common during break in period or should I be contacting MOM and by the way I appreciate the replies.

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Chamber might be out of spec, no this is not a common problem.

7. sdshipoint

sdshipoint Member

Make sure your hand isn't rubbing against the slide and slowing it down. Also make sure you are not "limp wristing" it!

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

8. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

What ammo are you using? Try some different ammo.

9. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

I wondered about hand making contact with the slide and the limp wristing. It seems to happen when my son shoots the gun, but it did happen to me once too but more frequently when he shoots it, at least once during each mag fired it seems like.

10. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

In answer to the question, what ammo I'm using? we were shooting reloads I purchased at the last gun show. So i'm loading all different kinds of manufacture casings. I will look at the casing next time it jams and see if its a particular manufactures casing is getting stuck behind the extractor.

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I bet we have a winner. Try some full power factory ammo before you start worrying.

12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

You beat me to it!!!

I won't tell MoM, if you don't?

I never shoot reloads, probably because I don't reload & I don't trust somebody else's reloads.

13. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Agreed, try some factory ammo. Who knows what the hell is in those "reloads", seller could have laced the powder with mouse poop

14. DaveB61

DaveB61 Member

Thanks! Ill be getting some this weekend.

15. I had the same problem with both my C9's. Just lube the rails on both sides of the slide. Worked for me.

16. glassham

glassham Member

If you don't know the person who did the reload, I wouldn't use those rounds. If you're going to use reloads, make sure you know they have all been loaded using the same brass, bullets and powder charge. In other words, know what you're buying.