Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Would you interested in owning a Revolver Carbine/Rifle?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revolver Carbines. Some hate the idea, some love it, many can't see the point. So HPFF, how do you feel about them? Please comment with your ¢2 .

Personally, I like the concept, but only if a the side blast problem from the barrel-cylinder gap is solved.
I think that they'd make a light weight carbine that would be very reliable, handy, and cool looking. Depending on the ammunition it'd be designed for, one could have a good small-medium game rifle that could also be an inexpensive plinker. Using .357 or .44 magnum, you'd have a carbine that you could use to hunt deer (at close ranges) and similar sized creature.

As for the cylinder gap problem, a few solutions exist in the real world. The fist is a simple shield, to deflect the side blast from burning hand/face. The Russian MTs255 shotgun uses one http://www.kbptula.ru/eng/sphu/hunt/mts255.htm .

Another solution would be to fully enclose the cylinder. This would likely prevent the use of a swing out cylinder as we know them in DA revolvers, and would force the use of a SA type side gate or a break open design. One is slow, the other ain't cheap.

A third option is a bit more radical, but familiar to anyone who's used a Nagant M1895. Cam the cylinder forward to eliminate the gap. This would restrict the gun to side-gate loading and require some extra internal parts compared to a SA design.

Modern revolver carbines (which ironically are reproductions of historic carbines) barrel gap.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I make a motion to lock this thread and bann anyone who mentions this again!!! You're shoving this down our throats and wasting bandwith!!!

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I like the idea of a fun gun. kinda mad max. nothing real effective, but fun as hell. seeing that video awhile back of the guy who silenced his nagant pistol made me think that with a stock, one could have a hell of a good time.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I make a motion to lock this thread and bann anyone who mentions this again!!! You're shoving this down our throats and wasting bandwith!!!
I asked SW about posting this, he didn't seem to have a problem. Also he suggested that I post it in the Suggestion Zone. And whats this about shoving it down your throat? You are a human being, you have free will, no one forced to you read this or post. Also, I'm pretty sure that the amount of bandwidth I'm "wasting" is rather minuscule, especially when compared to other, more picture intensive, threads.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I asked SW about posting this, he didn't seem to have a problem. Also he suggested that I post it in the Suggestion Zone. And whats this about shoving it down your throat? You are a human being, you have free will, no one forced to you read this or post. Also, I'm pretty sure that the amount of bandwidth I'm "wasting" is rather minuscule, especially when compared to other, more picture intensive, threads.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Gee, I'm starting to feel bad about even mentioning this idea in the first place! :cantlook:

After going through (and apparently surviving) the insult firing squad, I took some time to reflect on what it is I really desire regarding the idea. Basically, what I want is an affordable, reliable pistol-caliber carbine that can shoot not only ball ammo and hollowpoints but also shotshells (and any other configuration within said caliber), in any order, and do so in the desired rapid fire mode associated with semi-automatics. My 995TS can't do it, my Kel-Tec S2K can't do it, and from what I've read no semi-auto pistol-caliber carbine can cycle shotshells. However, DA revolvers can do all the above. So naturally, I have discerned that a carbine utilizeing DA revolver technology would be the ideal gun for such a situation.

I am open to suggestions from anyone who knows of a non-revolving pistol-caliber carbine that can cycle shotshells along with more conventional ammo configurations. The closest example I have found so far is the Safir Arms 410 AR, which uses a 5 round magazine for 410 shotshells, and in theory could also shoot 45 long colt (or maybe 45 ACP?) except for the fact that the barrel of the Safir 410 AR isn't rifled. Is 410 as low as we can go for enough ooomph to cycle a bolt in a semi-auto?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Oh, in answer to the poll . . .

Yes, if it could be had for an affordable price e.g. $500ish. I'm not going four bills for one though.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ShooterZ: What a well thought out and interesting post.

futuremodal:

Ruger used to make a .44 magnum carbine, semi-auto, that I believe was called the M44 Deerfield. It was gas-operated iirc and had a 4 round rotary magazine. There are probably still a few floating around. I'm not sure how well they would run different ammo types.

Edit:
I found this: http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/firearms/licensed-arms/carbines/revolver-carbines-and-rifles/
Not sure about the 12" barrel, and no clue as to the price, but i want one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well like I said in the other thread if I want a carbine in a revolver round I'd just buy a henry and get a proven design that can hold more then 6 shots. I'd never get one...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ya know lookin at that it seems that instead of this gun bein made by hi point, maybe charter arms should just make a REALLY long barreled revolver and put a stock on it? Idk that's what that pic puts me in the mind of though.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Ya know lookin at that it seems that instead of this gun bein made by hi point, maybe charter arms should just make a REALLY long barreled revolver and put a stock on it? Idk that's what that pic puts me in the mind of though.
But I want a TS stock on mine! :'(

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I found this: http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/firearms/licensed-arms/carbines/revolver-carbines-and-rifles/
Not sure about the 12" barrel, and no clue as to the price, but i want one.
That's interesting, both in design (simple) and potential selling points (logical). Didn't see a price, but I'd bet it's closer to the Mateba price range than the Hi Point price range.

Yeah, I want one too, but I'd prefer a tactical stock and foregrip.

As for that 12" barrel, could weld a 4 or 5" flash hider or fake suppressor onto it to make it legal.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
ShooterZ: What a well thought out and intersting post.
Well I thought you might get the idea you're beating a dead horse on a dead, dead, dead issue. The reasons why they aren't any good was already discussed but since YOU are stuck on this there ya go

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So far the only reasons presented in this thread as to why this wasn't a good idea has been side blast and lower ammo count. Side-blast solutions have been presented. The fact that revolvers can have capacities higher then 6 rounds of ammo has been stated. So far 5 people have expressed interest, 1 is a maybe, and 7 are no's. More people are interested then I had thought.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
the gas cutting issue still exitsts and is teh biggest problem with modern high pressure rounds. just face it, revolver carbines are a evolutional dead end in firearms design.

SW

·
Banned
2,493 Posts
And as far as the Nagant M1895 forward moving cylinder idea goes, well, there is a reason that nobody else other than the Nagant brothers ever made one. First of all, it doesn't work nearly as well as intended, still a fair amount of gas and pressure escaping out the side gap. Secondly, the ammo required to make the Nagant Gas Seal System work is highly specialized, there is no other pistol caliber ammo or shotshells out there that are gas sealing rounds so your point of wanting a revolver carbine chambered in a common pistol caliber is out the window with that. The Nagant was a very inventive and novel ideal in 1895 when it was designed, but it was outdated before the first one rolled off of the line and now is nothing more than the truest form of the words Curio & Relic.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts