Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine decided long ago that his first handgun needed to be a revolver. It should be relatively inexpensive (but not cheap) and have a good warranty, and be possible for CC, not be a .22 and be not the most expensive to shoot.

After some research I suggested a Tarus, but cant decided a good caliber (im torn between a .38 or a .357) I'm far from an expert, anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can shoot .38 through a .357. So why even consider a gun that shoots .38 only? Also .357mag revolvers are generally better made in order to handle the more heavy duty magnum loads. When and if my wife ever lets me get a Ruger sp101 I’ll buy a .357 but it will get a diet of about 95% .38 just because of the price of ammo.

·
Registered
128 Posts
We have 3 Taurus revolvers, my two Gauchos in 45 LC for SASS shooting and my wife's 38 sp ultra lite for a carry piece. Since personal defense is not a long range situation, under 7 yards, the 38sp using JHP+P ammo will provide more than sufficient stopping powder without the additional "kick" of a 357. And, there are lots of inexpensive FMJ ammos for practice as well. Taurus is a great choice as they warranty their guns, not the buyer, forever. Their revolvers also have a Transfer Bar so you can carry a full cylinder.

The revolver has one big advantage over the Semi-Auto...it is always ready and you don't have to try to remember whether you chambered a round, have the safety on or both IF a dangerous situation suddenly pops up....just grab it and pull the trigger.

Hope this adds to your knowledge a bit.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I carry a Taurus mod. 605 2" ss .357, never had a problem. The .38 loads are extremely accurate for a fixed site 2" barrel, haven't found a .357 load nearly as good, but more than ok for HD purposes. You won't shoot a lot of full throttle magnum loads, they aren't much fun after a few rounds. My 19 yr old son doesn't mind them, AW, the ignorance of youth.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a Taurus mod. 605 2" ss .357, never had a problem. The .38 loads are extremely accurate for a fixed site 2" barrel, haven't found a .357 load nearly as good, but more than ok for HD purposes. You won't shoot a lot of full throttle magnum loads, they aren't much fun after a few rounds. My 19 yr old son doesn't mind them, AW, the ignorance of youth.
chss? ss2? ss3?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ss = stainless steel ;)
I realize that, but there are more than one stainless steel 605.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go for a Charter Arms piece. Cheaper than Taurus, made in the USA, reliable, accurate, good ergonomics, good materials, nice fit and finish, etc. They are the HiPoint of revolvers if you ask me. Get a .357 if you want to shoot magnum and .38sp, or get a .38sp +p rated if you don't care about .357 compatibility. Either way you'll be happy with it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go for a Charter Arms piece. Cheaper than Taurus, made in the USA, reliable, accurate, good ergonomics, good materials, nice fit and finish, etc. They are the HiPoint of revolvers if you ask me. Get a .357 if you want to shoot magnum and .38sp, or get a .38sp +p rated if you don't care about .357 compatibility. Either way you'll be happy with it.
does charter arms have as good a warranty?

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Yes.

G

·
Hi there. I'm the revolver-loving-buddy in question here, and I really appreciate all of the input.

I've been really looking hard at, and lusting after this sucker so far:
TAURUS MODEL 617 .357 MAG. REVOLVER

I am primarily looking for something that is a size that could be easily carried, but I'm not at all concerned about weight. My only concern about such a small revolver is that my hands are pretty big, and while I want something small, I need to be able to hold it comfortably as well. I think I need to get my hands on one of the above to see how it fits.

Also, from what I understand I can shoot .38 sp out of the 617 in .357 mag I linked above? Is that inherent in essentially all revolvers in .357 mag?

Their revolvers also have a Transfer Bar so you can carry a full cylinder.
For this are you talking about drop safety, etc? I'll be entirely honest, the last time I shot a revolver was when I was 10, so a lot of the finer details of the firearms haven't been made terribly clear to me.

Also, I looked at Charter Arms, and I didn't find them to be significantly cheaper than the Taurus pieces I've been looking at. They've been cheaper, but I think I'm really taken with the aesthetics of the Taurus concealed carry pieces. I'll keep looking, though. I owe it to myself not to rule anything out.

Buckeye Charly: I was eying those Gauchos earlier today. They are GORGEOUS! I surely can't justify one now, but perhaps someday.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I shoot a Ruger revolver .357 SS 6" barrel DA. AND love it. Security six Over 30 years old and still shoots 6 out of 6 at 25 yards.

That is not me, that is the gun. Little hard to hide though. LOL

G

·
Have you looked at the Ruger SP101's?
Looking into them now! I've always had a lot of respect for Rugers. I've been using their rifles for ages for target shooting.

I really wish there was an expansive gun shop up here where I could actually handle some of these. Most of the models/brands I've been looking at have excellent reputations, so a lot of what it will come down to is how they feel in my hands. I'm also looking to stay away from specific models that might need more care than others. I'm very good about keeping my firearms clean, but I don't want anything that will be stubborn in spite of that. My impression so far, however, is that most revolvers tend to be simple enough and have had their designs perfected over the years.

On a side note, gunlovingliberal and I got to handle a Smith&Wesson 500 today. Now THAT would be impossible to hide! I was actually a little surprised that it wasn't as heavy as it looked, but an expensive and unwieldy firearm if I've ever seen one.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Also, from what I understand I can shoot .38 sp out of the 617 in .357 mag I linked above? Is that inherent in essentially all revolvers in .357 mag?
Yes; any SA/DA revolver chambered in .357 will shoot .38 Special and .38 Special +P. The only guns that don't do this are odd things that aren't plain-old revolvers like the Mateba auto-revolver and the Desert Eagle (which is obviously a semi-auto).

I'm with you on the Taurus revolvers, I love all their revolvers chambered in .357 or bigger. Haven't been able to buy one yet though. :(

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a Taurus 605ss 2in with concealed carry hammer in .357 mag myself .. Its my daily carry gun and absolutly love it .. I reload all my own target load to save money and taylor loads for comfort .. The reason I chose a revoler for daily use is simple .. In time of need you point it where you want and squeeze the triger and it fires everytime . No jams ,safety, or hastle sliding the action in a hurry .. And when the person that is on the receiving end is usualy within 10 ft every second counts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts