Revolvers

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by sonofatom, Dec 27, 2015.

1. sonofatom

sonofatom Member

Bought a C9 and love it. I wanted a revolver, preferably a 357, to go along with it. Wish Hi Point made one, but since they don't started looking for the best deal I could find. Bought an EAA Windicator, on sale at Cabellas for $269. What a deal, what a match...I'm a happy elf...

2. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Not a bad deal. Isn't Christmas time great!!

Congrats and enjoy!!

3. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

My FFL has a black EAA Windicator waiting for me. It is a snub nose. I will stop back around & pick it up soon. I think he wanted $299 otd, with a box of ammo.

4. ynot

ynot Member

I've had a Windicator for about 10 years and am really happy with it for the price. Now let me explain that. I had some trouble with the pin that protrudes from the cylinder that locks into the frame. It was not properly hardened and wore rather quickly causing the cylinder to not want to go back into the frame smoothly. I made a new one from a piece of hardened rod and it has worked like a champ ever since.
    The barrel on the snub nose guns looks like it was cut to length on a lathe and never deburred or blued. I used a crowning tool to cut it back even with the shroud and used a little cold bluing on it and it looks a whole lot better.
    Other than those two minor issues I've got thousands of rounds down range, mostly .38 special reloads, without any hiccups. It shoots low about three inches and right about two but I adjust accordingly and have no problems hitting what I aim at. I gave $220 for it 10 years ago and it has been worth every penny.

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Can't remember where I read it and if it's even true....but allegedly they make one barrel length namely 4 inches, then cut it to whatever they want to ship that week or month.
    Hence the hacksaw look on the 2 and 3 inch guns.
    Doesn't matter to me, a 2 inch 3fiddyseven is still on my list.

6. ynot

ynot Member

That is true. They import all the Windicators with a 4" barrel and then cut them to the length they need. The barrel shroud is held on with a pin so they cut/hack the barrel to a somewhat close length and install the shorter shroud. Some have a 1/16" protruding from the shroud and some have 1/4". I was lucky mine only had about .050" and was easy to cut back with the crowning tool.

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I read that too, and for that reason I would not want one.
    I would take a 4" in 357 Mag :D

8. SWAGA

I have a 4 inch Taurus, hence the "need" for a 2 inch snubby or alternatively a .44 Magnum in 4 inch.

9. Actually, Hi Point is technically in the revolver business, as they now own "Charter Arms", as well as Chiappa Arms.
    I bought a Charter Arms .38 Spl. snubby, used, years ago for $85.00, and still carry it nearly every day as my concealed carry piece. You should see how that little snub can put them in the black at 25 yards, with my handloads! (I use a target with a 4" bullseye, as well--) It has been tough as nails, and reliable to boot, new prices on these are around $300., o.t.d. They also just came out with a 9mm revolver, where you don't need to use "moon clips".
    Just sayin',
    Fred (Honcho)

10. SWAGA

I'm pretty sure ^^^ that is not correct.
    MKS is the distributor of Chiappa, not the owner.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Thank goodness that isn't right.

Like SWAGA said, MKS is a distributor, not a gun company, and they don't own squat.

My only Charter Arms is the AR-7, which isn't fully functional, it shoots on reset, but since CA has been sold and bought over the years, they won't fix it.

With Rossi, Taurus, and EEA putting out revolvers at $300 and less, I can't imagine a good reason to buy a new CA, and a used one...nope, not them either.

12. Kiln

Kiln Member

The 4 inch Windicator has been discontinued from what I've heard. Rossi cuts the barrels on their .44 magnums after import too. The difference is that Rossi refinishes their barrels after they're cut while EAA does not.

13. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's what a Dremel is for.;)

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I still want an AR-7 Handgun anyway.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. I wanted a 4" windicator before my Rossi,but my fav dealer couldn't get 'em anymore back in October.

This guy sure got schlonged on his........

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1cvULYAzbk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1cvULYAzbk[/ame]

16. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I have read several complaints on the internet about the condition of the 2" barrel EEA's.
    I am in good shape. Recently bought a Taurus 7 rd, 4" barrel, adjustable rear sights, exc pistol. And I have an old S&W 2.25" barrel .38 spl. in great condition, Just wish the ammo was a cheaper.

17. sonofatom

sonofatom Member

Thanks for the video, I hadn't seen that one. But like with the C9 I had heard horror stories. Talked about them with the Cabellas Clerk as we looked over the gun. I'm happy...

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's crazy!

The good news is, they left enough material that it could be cut and crowned easily.:rolleyes:

19. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'd be less concerned about how far it protrudes and more concerned that it is unprotected and poorly cut.

The ones I have seen locally looked much better than the one in the video.

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Gouger must have done that work in the back room :rofl: