Rhino

Discussion in 'Consumer Reviews' started by wvwoodsman, Feb 22, 2015.

1. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

Does anybody own a Chippa Rhino ? I'm looking at including it to my family, any opinions - advice ?

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I rented the 2" version one time, bought 1 box each of .38 and .357.
    My experience was not a pleasant one. The very design of the gun forces recoil into the wrist to reduce muzzle flip. My wrists were still sore 3 days later.
    If i bought one, it'd be a 6" barrel, and use moon clips to shoot 9mm out of it
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0QFM_M8UJM[/ame]

3. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I never thought about that , I was just thinking of less lift.

4. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The Rhino is an ugly recoil monster. A good friend of mine "had" one, but not for long. Why buy something like that when there are so many popular, trusted, traditional, self defense firearms to have.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

To have something different and neat?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I have several high quality weapons , for several cituations. I thought it was a cool concept and they look badass. I love shooting my 454 Raging Bull , i can't imagine it being worse then it.

7. I thought the point of the rhino was to make recoil more manageable but It sounds like the opposite?

8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that It's manageable from a muzzle flip perspective, but from the actual fealt transfer of energy to the shooter's hand perspective, the very low bore axis probably sends the force back more directly. Ergo, less muzzle flip but more pain.

9. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I wonder if some good rubber grips would help ?

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

My wrist isn't that good to begin with, what with working in a factory and all, so maybe someone with stronger hands/wrists might handle it better than I do. But if you have carpel tunnel, or even think you might, you're probably gonna be sore.
    Then again, it was the 2 inch barrel I shot, so the recoil from that short a barrel in .357/.38 will be greater than a 6 inch barrel.

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I'd suggest some of the shooting gloves with padded palms, but I'm not sure if the cushioning would mitigate the shock on your wrist joints. You'd have to try it to be sure.

And speaking of carpal tunnel syndrome, have you ever looked into any therapy regimens to fix it? I'm a firm believer in the use of therapeutic exercises to heal chronic joint and connective tissue problems. I hope that you find something to keep it from impacting your shooting in years to come.

12. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I was thinking 4" or 5" but i think i want to shoot one first.