Rhode Island Bans Firearms Without Serial Numbers and Three Dimensional Printed Guns

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by 1024Megabytes, Jun 26, 2020.

1. by S.H. Blannelberry on June 24, 2020

Rhode Island banned so-called “ghost guns” this week in an effort to “prevent gun violence.”

Anyone caught with a “ghost gun,” by which they mean 3 Dimensional printed guns, gun kits with 80 percent lowers, and unserialized firearms, 30 days from now will face up to 10 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.

“Banning ghost guns and untraceable firearms in Rhode Island is a major victory, but our work doesn’t end here,” said Governor Gina Raimondo in a post on Facebook. “We will keep fighting to prevent gun violence in our state.”

(At present, there is no way yet to know how often “ghost guns” are used in crime because neither the Department of Justice nor the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms tracks crimes committed with “ghost guns.”)

Last week, the Democratically-controlled General Assembly passed the measure with overwhelming support.

Senator Cynthia A. Coyne, Democrat-32, who sponsored it claimed that these “guns can easily facilitate criminal activity because they totally bypass the safeguards that protect the public.”

She added, “Our state laws should be very clear that possessing, creating, or selling them is a criminal act, and we should be doing everything we can to keep these dangerous weapons from proliferating here.”

Owners of “ghost guns” will have 30 days to serialize their firearm after that they become contraband, according to local media. Though, how the state of Rhode Island wants citizens to go about doing this is not exactly clear.

Read more at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...guns-w-10-year-prison-sentence-for-violators/

2. Rhode Island is one of the States that has infringes 2nd Amendment liberties with so many restrictions that it no longer exists in that State in my opinion. Thank goodness it is such a small State but the noose is closing more and more on citizens of Rhode Island.

CowboyBob likes this.

3. . How democrats would word it

CowboyBob and Think1st like this.
  4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Pardon my ignorance but isn’t the purpose of a ghost gun that nobody knows about it?
    Like nobody?
    Not your gun buddies not your neighbor.
    It’s a GHOST gun people, keep it that way. Stash it for the zombie apocalypse, TEOTWAKI or the Boogaloo...whatever rocks your boat.
    It was never intended as a look at me DIY gun. The sole purpose was to stay off the radar.
    So.....problem is people can’t keep their trap shut.
    You have any idea how many bumpstocks have been buried in backyards?

Dubar, Twisty, moona11 and 1 other person like this.
  5. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

Another politician or group of them who pass an unenforceable law that is just a political soapbox for them to stand on and say " look at me and what I did for you! Now please vote for me again!"
    Wash,rinse, repeat!

6. It's worse than that. It is an attempt to register all the Rhode Island citizen's private firearms out there for when the time is right to confiscate them.

CowboyBob likes this.
  7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It worked so well in 1968 that we might as well try it again. :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

CowboyBob likes this.
  8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's the claim, but it turns out it's not the reality. The vast majority is just firearms enthusiasts who want to tinker.

"Ghost gun" is just another BS mind-control propaganda term used to manipulate the ignorant, like "assault weapon" and "Saturday night special."

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:21 AM
  9. It's already illegal for felons and restricted people to make their own firearm using an 80 percent lower receiver or other kits anyway. More laws are not needed. It is Rhode Island tyrants trying to usurp more control over their general population.

CowboyBob and Rerun like this.
  10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Trying to disarm law abiding people. The criminals won't be registering theirs.
    I have no "off the radar" AR's. When they want mine one or two clicks they will know what I have.

CowboyBob likes this.
  11. Nope and never heard that. More for the impatient(faster to make one than to do paper work), those who don't like doing paper work, those who like making things, a FU to gun control, as a nice gift to someone, etc. Many that I've made I was shooting at a public range 30 minutes after completing them. That is why I've bought the parts online or mail order(back in the day).

But then I don't hang around with those who want to violently overthrow the gov, commit crimes, etc.

CowboyBob likes this.
  12. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Next they'll be asking us to turn in firearms that were bought decades ago without a background check or handed down thru the family and those that have no serial number when manufactured. Not that I have any, but I've heard.......

13. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

And here you go getting them banned.
    Just as the “brace” was never intended for disabled veterans, the 80% lower was never intended for the tinkerers.
    It is/was just a bother way to circumvent the current rules.
    If I was doing this I’d be going after the binary trigger before anything else.
    Show a couple of videos of fully automatic semi autos and bam!
    Banned.

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If they went to a 3 gun competition, they’d crap their pants at how fast guys can shoot without that trigger.

Even old fat guys can get it done...

ichthyo, CowboyBob, SWAGA and 2 others like this.
  15. It was about empowering the common people to enable them to make their own firearms with the 80% lower receivers. It was never about arming thugs and criminals. They have used and are using gun registrations to disarm the common people.

It's already illegal for a felon or restricted persons to make or own a gun. Forcing gun registration on the common population is just going to enable future tyrants to confiscate semi automatic rifles or any other type of firearm they vote worthy of stripping from the citizens.

perotter likes this.
  16. I looked it up. Here are the areas that require registration of citizen firearms below. You can now add Rhode Island to the list. This information may be outdated.

States that Require Registration of All Firearms
    1. District of Columbia
    2. Hawaii
    States that Require Registration of of Handguns
    • New York
    States that Require New Residents to Report Their Firearms
    1. California
    2. Maryland (handguns and assault weapons)
    States that Require Registration of Pre-Ban “Assault Weapons” and/or .50 Caliber Rifles
    1. California
    2. Connecticut
    3. Hawaii
    4. Maryland
    5. New Jersey
    6. New York
    https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/are-guns-registered/

This also does not include the registration list of everyone that has a concealed weapon permit. If you have a permit whoever has access to the State list knows you have at least one firearm.