RIA hiccup

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by w_houle, Jan 27, 2008.

1. w_houle

w_houle Member

I went shooting my 1911 with my Dad. He had a malfunction when a round went into the chamber but the extractor was on the wrong side, keeping the slide partially open, to clear this I dropped the mag and had to extract the round with my finger. What would cause this?

2. My CWP instructor talked about this happening and he said it can happen if you try to slowly let the slide go back. His example was you have an intruder in your house and you try to chamber a round quietly so they don't hear you. He said if you have this problem, just hit the back of the slide with your palm and it should make the extractor go into the correct position. He used a Glock and dummy rounds to show us how it worked.

So, I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem that you had, but it sounded familiar so I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

3. It's solid proof that all RIA pistols are junk and should be disposed of for your own safety. Please PM me for details and I'll send you a shipping-paid box so you can dispose of it by sending it to my FFL. He will call me and we'll make sure you never have to worry about it again.

Glad I could help.

OR, you could make sure the extractor is properly adjusted (contrary to what worshipers of JMB may say, the pistol is not perfect--just better than any other design) and always feed the rounds from the magazine so they slide under the extractor as it was designed. If you try to place them in the chamber and let the slide close on it, sometimes the extractor will hold it open.

I, of course, would much prefer you go with the first option. :mrgreen:

4. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

NDS, your posts are the best. I really enjoy reading them.

5. w_houle

w_houle Member

Normally I am a proponent of locking the action open and just thumbing the slide release on a round and easing the slide forward on nothing. This hiccup occured as the seventh of eight rounds

6. Probably just 'one of those things' then. No machine, despite what some claim, is 100 % (in this case pistol or ammunition)

Should it occur again, go to one of the 1911 forums and do a search on 'extractor' You'll find discussions of what can go wrong with the internal extractor that JMB designed over a century ago. It is not the best possible design (there-it's official, I'm going to hell) but it works extrememly well in most cases. I am not qualified to tell you how to check, but I have replaced extractors in the past with no problems. If you ask around, I'll bet you won't have trouble finding a 1911 guy who can let you try an extra one he's got. The parts are supposed to be 100% colt spec. I've never had a problem with mine, so I don't yet know.

If it were mine (do you want that box?) I'd keep it and shoot it without worry. If it happened again I'd ask someone who knows more about it than me, or just order another extractor and exchange (Sarco sells 'em for $12)

:wink:

7. I've had that happen with my 4095 before when I let the slide down really gently. I always just pull it back and drop it.

8. w_houle

w_houle Member

Ooh you had better go to confession on that one... to DARE blaspheme the great St. JMB!!!

9. Run a few hundred rounds through it, and see if it happens again. If it does you might want to have a 'smith look at your extractor tension. If it does not happen again just chalk it up as an anomaly.

10. I have to say that I agree with 357fan. Thats what I would do.