Rifle Advice

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Glennfrank, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Hey guys,
    Thinking about getting a .223 rifle.
    I want a semi-automatic, mag-fed.
    Looking at the Ruger Mini-14 and the Kel-Tec SU-16C in particular.
    Anyone have any advice or other suggestions?

If I went Mini-14 it would have to be used as I don't really want to spend more than $500 - cheaper would be better but it has to be reliable.

2. Ridge

Ridge Member

Build an AR! :D

3. It can be done in the $500 range cited, but you've got to be a clever, careful and lucky shopper to get in under budget. If the ceiling is raised to $600 it gets a lot easier; at $700 it's easy to do.

If you want to do one on the cheap, post questions on a lot of forums, chase links, and read every for sale thread you can find. Example: I bought a complete upper, new, last year for $300 on Craigslist. Just don't be in a hurry, wait for good deals. :wink:

4. Ari

Ari Guest

Saiga.... www.classicarms.us has the 223 Saiga for $259

Saigas are hard to beat Russian built AK in 223 with the 16 inch barrel

[​IMG]

5. pills

pills Guest

Another vote for Saiga

6. And, to be honest, I'm trying to decide which caliber of Saiga I'll soon be buying.

7. I would go for the saiga too, I am not sure if it will shoot quite as accurately as a AR though.

8. Ridge

Ridge Member

9. Another vote for the Saiga, heck for $500 you could almost own one in .223 and one in .308.

10. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    I really don't know what is wrong with me, I was looking at the a Saiga semi-auto shotgun about 4 months ago, but then completely forgot about them.

I'll look into them :)

11. Saiga all the way! For $500 you could get the rifle, lots of accessories and ammo and still afford a burger and the trip to the range.

If I had to make a choice between the SU16 and the Mini14 I would take the Mini is a heart beat, especially if it were one of the newer model Mini14's.

12. http://www.colemantyler.com/

Lowers complete and assembled for under $200. I've ordered mine and they said I can pick it up today or tomorrow. I'm gonna stick an upper on it and shoot it before I head back to Vegas, I'll let you know how I like it. I have phoned them and they seem pretty cool.

13. Hey NDS, I want pics of that lower ok? If I am going to stop by that place and pick one of those things up, I'd like to see what they look like first. Thanks man!

14. I just got off the phone with 'em again. They're a little behind but promised me it would be available tomorrow after noon. That's what we agreed on last week, so I'm pleased. Be sure to call for directions, pickup is not at the address on the website. I'll post pictures and try to shoot it tomorrow or the next day and give you my first impressions.

So far, I think I'm going to like doing business with them.

15. Also if you get the Saiga .223 you can get an adapter to let you use AR magazines

16. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT
    Really? That's great - one of the things I never liked about Aks were the way you had to "Roll" insert the mag (front first then hinge the thing back).

17. uncle jerky

uncle jerky Well-Known Member

My personal choice would be the Ruger Mini 14 in wood and blue steel.

18. I love that saigas. So much you can do to them. The Shotties cost a biut more then the rifles do, but classicarms has about the best prices I've seen on them.

19. Glennfrank

Glennfrank Member

CT