Rifle primers

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by welderman, Jul 19, 2020.

1. welderman

welderman Member

I have seen in the past with 7.62X39 that Remington cases have small primer pockets and most all others have large primer pockets. They were the only cases like that I have run into until now. I was working some of my once fired 6.5 Creedmoor cases from the past few range outings and I noticed that the Federal, FC head stamps have small primer pockets. So now I'll have to go tomorrow and get a block of SRP's for them. I have about 50 or so that I bought for the few Remington 7.62X39's I have. Learn something new every day.

2. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I seek out the Remington cases to form my 6.5 Grendel cases with. Honestly I don’t see much difference. It shoots better than I can regardless of primer size.

It’s gotten to the point that when I pull up into one of my whistle pig spots and the purple rifle comes out, the whistle pigs just surrender. "Don’t shoot Greg. We are coming out!"

SWAGA, histed, moona11 and 1 other person like this.

3. welderman

welderman Member

Update! NOBODY has any small rifle primers at all. I have looked here at our LGS and they are out and don't know when there will be more, he said the makers have pulled back from retail and shipping only to ammo makers. I live about 90 miles from Graf and sons, they don't have any either. So I looked online at every place I could find and, NONE! So now I have to either sell to someone or hold them till the primer supply comes back. There is a guy on Cast Bullets that wants to buy them so that base is covered.

4. histed

histed Supporting Member

Just checking - pretty sure I know the answer. It IS illegal to ship primers, right. Person to person, I mean.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think they're ORM-D

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

histed likes this.
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Our gun stores have them. Plus guns and ammo. Crazy, right?
    But...some brands are sold out.

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I can get whatever I want at our local gun stores. The shelves are not completely full, but there is adequate stock.

8. welderman

welderman Member

I wish we could do that here. We only have one place here in town, and I live about 90 miles from Graf and Sons. But they are all out of stock and no back order. I'm holding these cases for now, if this drought lasts too long I'll put them up for sale. I still have several that haven't been fired yet.

9. Speeding is illegal if your are caught that is, I have more small and large rifle and large pistol primers but no small pistol

10. histed

histed Supporting Member

Speeding isn't a felony. Spending quality time with Bubba isn't on my agenda

11. welderman

welderman Member

I wish it was easier to ship primers but it is what it is. I'm sure I'll find some eventually. If anyone here lives close to Quincy, IL and has some SRP's they would sell let me know, If it's not too far I can meet you.

12. welderman

welderman Member

I was just checking at UPS it looks like they have regs but it looks like they do ship. The cost may be prohibitive cause I'm sure there are hazmat fee's.

13. Im in St Charles Mo, about 5 minutes from Grafs retail store. THey told me that they have no clue when primers will be available "next week, next month, who knows"
    As far as shipping primers, there is a hazmat fee that varies by shipper

14. Same here , I've been using small rifle primers in my handgun loads
    work pretty good except Remington bench rest primers they are gold in color too hard to fire with a semi, or even my revolvers. actual saw a post where some one explains how to reload primers using the powder from match heads

15. I believe the current hazmat fee is 39.00

16. welderman

welderman Member

I stopped by our LGS yesterday to check on small rifle primers. They had NO primers at all. I was told they have orders in and have to wait till they come back. I did put in an order, so now they will call me when they get them in. They won't hold them long, but if I can get there to pick them up when they call they will hold them. Now we wait!
    It's not a big deal. I have more cases with large primer pockets than I do with small PP's, so I won't have to hold off shooting my 6.5 Creedmoor.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
  17. rickm

rickm Member

Its just like 45acp you had lpp for years and years then came Federal puting spp in them, i keep mine seperate and hang on to them just for weird chance i run out of one primer i can load with the other, never get rid of brass unless you have a over abundance of it cause never know when you might need it.

Rufus Nathaniel REDD likes this.
  18. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

There are more companies than Federal using SPP 45 ACP brass. IMG_1106.jpg

19. rickm

rickm Member

Figured there was havent had to deal with any in several years, my brass intake supplies have all but dried up except some rifle brass that ex co workers would bring me frome time to time and now that all of them are ex's now im going to have to get out and hussle some from other avenues.