Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what sling do you prefer?

I've used various slings in the past on classic blued steel and wood, mostly good ol' leather in a Hasty Sling config. But I haven't tried a sling on my AR.

I'm kinda leaning to a traditional 2-point sling, and probably not a loop-sling. But I might have my mind changed.

So what do you like? Do you have a specific brand, model, or type?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I have a very simple two-point sling on my AR, which is not much different from what the Army issues. I've found that it allows me to carry the rifle slung over the shoulder for an admin carry, or I can put it cross-body while in the low ready, from which position I can toss it behind me to transition to my side arm. You can do that with a three-point sling, too, but a three-point sling will cause the rifle to swing around much more loosely if you want to put the rifle behind you for an admin carry. Also, you can't use the sling to stabilize your aim when shooting from the probe with a three-point system.

I would suggest a plain-Jane two-pointer for your rifle.

·
AK = Automatic Killer!?!
2,957 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Good prices in the links above.

Most of mine have the basic military style 2 point. I have bought some from BluCollar tactical via Amazon, about $12, but they adjust to 70” long, have 4 TriGlides, and are a softer tubular nylon, plus being vet owned.

I have one clone of the MagPul M4, wouldn’t bother with it. It’s good, but the way I run my guns, it’s not for me.
One clone of the Vickers style, like it a lot. It’s my favorite, I might even buy a real one.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
So what sling do you prefer?

I've used various slings in the past on classic blued steel and wood, mostly good ol' leather in a Hasty Sling config. But I haven't tried a sling on my AR.

I'm kinda leaning to a traditional 2-point sling, and probably not a loop-sling. But I might have my mind changed.

So what do you like? Do you have a specific brand, model, or type?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Old Style that comes with the rifle. Doesn't need to be fancy, I've done plenty of CQB with the original, issued sling. I don't want the thing strapped to me. I've been drug by equipment before. I wanna be able to cut away. Touch the rifle, feel free. That's when you're getting my knife.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I use a 5.11 VTAC 2 Point sling for my AR. Easy to adjust and quite comfortable.
On my lever actions (I have 2) and my shotgun a simple over the shoulder sling suffices.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,882 Posts
Depends on the gun. I have slings like we all have drawers of holsters or totes of them. Easiest and most effective for me is the 2 point

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I run a single point.
I have one of those single point attachment points that go on behind the castle nut, which I got before my last deployment years ago. I had a deal on my body armor I could snap the single-point to, or I could snap it to a looped sling, which went cross-body.

It was pretty handy, but it wasn't good for admin use. It let the rifle swing around too much when I let go of it. No doubt, it lets you get the rifle farther out of the way when you transition to the sidearm, but I likes me some admin capability.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have 2 point slings on all my carbines, and they are all Vickers/Blue Force gear ones. Quick and easy to adjust if you want to open the sling up to wrap around your arm, just pull the tan tab and it stays until you pull that tab again.
They are popular with the military as well, over a 1/4 million in use with the Army and Marines.
Come in a multitude of colors and camo patterns and sell for $45-$55.

I would not recommend a single point sling unless you like your carbine flopping and bouncing around. If you need both hands free on occasion and need the carbine out of the way and slung across your back, you'll need a 2 point sling.
I used the Spectre sling on several AR's but like the Vickers better.

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
I have one of those single point attachment points that go on behind the castle nut, which I got before my last deployment years ago. I had a deal on my body armor I could snap the single-point to, or I could snap it to a looped sling, which went cross-body.

It was pretty handy, but it wasn't good for admin use. It let the rifle swing around too much when I let go of it. No doubt, it lets you get the rifle farther out of the way when you transition to the sidearm, but I likes me some admin capability.
I don't know how. I run a cross body sling on a single point attachment end plate while I'm out bow hunting. Slides all the way behind me no problem with excessive movement, and I can still shoot my bow. Even got stopped by the warden once and had to dig out my ID, small game license, and pronghorn tags. Was able to do so with little effort. Also, I shoot handguns lefty, long guns right. Transitioning to my sidearm has always been easy.

Reactions: RandyB

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I don't know how. I run a cross body sling on a single point attachment end plate while I'm out bow hunting. Slides all the way behind me no problem with excessive movement, and I can still shoot my bow. Even got stopped by the warden once and had to dig out my ID, small game license, and pronghorn tags. Was able to do so with little effort. Also, I shoot handguns lefty, long guns right. Transitioning to my sidearm has always been easy.
Cross eye dominance issue or just a way to keep brass from hitting your face when you shoot certain long guns?

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
Cross eye dominance issue or just a way to keep brass from hitting your face when you shoot certain long guns?
I was born a lefty but became ambidextrous thanks to Catholic school, shooting team in high school, the Corps. I can shoot left or right with either. Just found it easier to transition to a left handed sidearm in the field.

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I was born a lefty but became ambidextrous thanks to Catholic school, shooting team in high school, the Corps. I can shoot left or right with either. Just found it easier to transition to a left handed sidearm in the field.
I like to practice handgun with my left hand, too. I'm a righty, but I actually shoot more accurately one-handed with my left hand than I do with my right. It's strangely more awkward to use a two-handed grip with my left hand, though.

I don't think I have a dominant eye, so I use my left eye for left-handed shooting and my right eye for right-handed shooting, keeping both eyes open, regardless of which hand I use.

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
I don't think I have a dominant eye, so I use my left eye for left-handed shooting and my right eye for right-handed shooting, keeping both eyes open, regardless of which hand I use.
I get mixed results even when the optometrist does the dominant eye test, so I'm in the same boat.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I get mixed results even when the optometrist does the dominant eye test, so I'm in the same boat.
It's an affliction I certainly won't complain about. When I was a kid, I couldn't cross my eyes, which can cause problems, so the optometrist had me do a regimen of eye exercise to fix the problem. I think the deliberate control it trained into my eye muscles made that happen.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I was born a lefty but became ambidextrous thanks to Catholic school.....
Catholic school refugee here also. So you were one of the poor lefty SOB's that the nuns
forced to write right. I wonder if there were any left hand writing nuns.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts