Rifles i didn't know you could have in Calif found at LGS

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Jul 23, 2014.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

2. USMC_VET

here's some ballistics info between the two rounds

.416 Barrett

398 grain 3150ft/sec velocity

8767 ft lbs energy

50BMG

800 grain 2895 ft/sec velocity

14895 ft lbs energy

The 416 drops about 70 inches less at 1000 yards...gets there in just a tick over 1 second (1/4 of a second faster than the 50) and only loses 855 fps in the process

3. That .416 is an amazing round. Not as much energy as the .50 but i guess that all depends on what you need.

The .416 is better for punching paper, and i imagine people in combat.

4. USMC_VET

yep the .416 is just a necked down version of the 50bmg but has got more power behind it

5. Makes sense, Another way to stick it to CA law makers. I just saw an article yesterday about the 50cal being so evil it should be illegal in all of the country.

I do beleive thought the ATF already considers anything larger than 50.cal to be a destructive device.

6. Kiln

Kiln Member

I think it's funny that they want to ban the .50 caliber but can not point to a single crime committed with a rifle in that caliber. Why? Because the guns are large, heavy, and expensive both to buy and shoot. The .50 BMG isn't a gun that attracts criminals because nobody wants to haul around a 15lb low cap 5 ft long rifle that costs $1500+ and has ammo that is $3+ per shot for gang shootouts.

7. They generally point to a few instances where someone shot a boarder patrol car. or a electrical tower from a mile or so away with one.

But like you said compared to normal guns, they hardly EVER used.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I for one would love to see all firearms manufactures only sell the exact same firearms to the government entities in California that they allow the civilian population to own. I think that would change things real fast.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Realistically a .50 is a destructive device regardless of ATF regulations.
    One shot takes out a vehicle or a power transformer or a traffic light control box.
    Law enforcement has nothing to counter a lone wolf with a .50 cal
    The fact that it hasn't been done doesn't mean that it won't happen.
    It's not a drive by gun, it's a lone wolf stand off 'area denial' weapon and that is what they are afraid off.
    And rightfully so.

10. They should be afraid of us, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

11. cktvt

cktvt Member

A 50 is perfect for certain terrorist attacks with low probability but high severity. For example, if you want to cause havoc over a wide area, you can easily use a 50 to disable major autotransformers at key substations, from vantage points thousands of yards outside the sub(s). A well-planned and coordinated attack can blackout an entire region, bollixing up communications and tying up police and first responders. Authorities may not even know for hours that the blackout is the result of a deliberate attack. It can leave a region vulnerable to a second wave attack such as a "dirty nuke" or bio-agents.

12. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

A chainsaw can have a lot similar effect.... Shoot, I could melt down a substation with a .22 for that matter...... Just another irrational knee jerk reaction to firearms when you ban .50.

13. cktvt

cktvt Member

It's really not that simple Bull. Loosing a tower or even several in a row, to a chainsaw is generally not as bad as loss of a major autotransformer, which may feed multiple transmission lines going off in many directions.

A 22 can cause critical damage but it's nowhere near as effective as a heavy caliber weapon. Generally a 22 cannot get through thick steel, so its relegated to shattering insulators.

And insulators and even structures can be replaced much more easily than autotransformers (the prime target of utility attacks, in the rare cases where they occur).

The most effective means of substation attack is to punch holes through the auto's heavy steel oil tank. The oil both insulates and cools the internal windings. As the oil gradually ebbs away, the unit will short out internally or overheat - either way it fails catastrophically. Big units may weight hundreds of tons and take days or even weeks to repair/replace. And the attackers have plenty of time to bug out before the SHTF, provided the substation is remote and unmanned.

14. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

They're afraid of the general public having a rifle that can disable a Homeland security DHS urban assault tank.

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Lol..... You forget what I do for a living... The transformers in substations (our AO anyway) all have critical temp alarms in them..... We had a pole fire within 2 blocks of a sub a couple of months ago, where two phases came into contact with each other.... The proximity to the sub created a load reading that the equipment kept pumping amperage into trying to compensate. We had a momentary 20,000 amp surge, which smoked the transformer. Like I said.... Lotsa other ways to skin a cat!

16. Fortunately the .50 BMG is in common use and is very protected when it comes to the 2nd amendment.

Note to self, check into getting a .50 BMG upper.

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

If you know where I can buy a 50bmg rifle for $1500 or even 2 grand, I'd happily pay the $5/rd for the ammo. I've seen one or two for just under TEN grand, but most tend to be in the 5 figure price range.

18. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Cabella's has been selling 50 BMG ammo for under 3 dollars a round.

Not any more cheapest is about 4 bucks a round now.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  19. how does the ban work in cali? for example is it anything .50 and bigger? is the S&W 500 illegal too then?

20. slade601

slade601 Member

Why would the 500 be illegal? It doesn't have a shoulder thing that goes up or a very scary detachable mag.