RIP ammo

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by phil_d12, Mar 26, 2016.

1. phil_d12

phil_d12 Member

What do y'all think about the new R I P ammunition. Has anyone shot it through the hi points and how does if perform. Just wondering thanks

2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

3. ynot

ynot Member

I tested 9mm and .380. I shot through a 4x4 post, plexiglass, several pieces of sheet metal, and into a 2x6 backstop. All shots were from about 5 feet from the target. None of the rounds opened up as advertised. The rounds fired through wood first loaded up and actually closed the hollow cavity some. The rounds fired through plexiglass and sheet metal were recovered pretty much as fired.
    As far as feeding through the gun there were no problems.
    My conclusion is these are overpriced gimmick rounds. At $43 for 20 rounds you get the performance of standard ball ammo.

4. lsi1

lsi1 Member

I think the round is a gimmick but why not test it into water jugs? hollow point rounds are designed to expand in flesh which is made up of some 90% fluid.

5. ynot

ynot Member

There will be more tests including water jugs when the weather and free time allow. The wood and metal were primarily penetration tests. Expansion tests will be next.

6. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    That's what I was thinking about these CNC types of ammo showing up in the marketplace lately.

7. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    That's like the Black Talon ammo introduced in 1991 by Winchester. It was supposed to be for law enforcement and penetrate body armor, etc. It was banned by the Feds. When it was actually tested it was found, it was no better than regular HP ammo.

8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Bull cookies! gOOgle it and get back with us..............:rolleyes: not banned by the feds and there is a round that is the equivalent to it currently sold. And I don't care what it is called. I buy what I buy.

9. TNTRAILERTRASH

AFA ballistics? Youtube is your friend. Go to the ammo forum on this site and read my thread on short barrel 9's. Good links there.

10. I had some in the 90"s there was stuff on the news about it was able to penetrate body armor , People were calling for it to be banned . I think winchester pulled it .So I am not going to google it i saw it on the 6pm news back then i think thats what Army was talking about

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    The manufacture was stopped for several months by the Feds. .They have now been for sale on the market for years. If you are such an expert, you would have known that, everyone else does, then I wouldn't have to baby sit you.

12. TNTRAILERTRASH

Wrong a again homey. Show us your proof or PLEASE continue spreading internet legends https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=feds+stopped+manufacture+of+black+talon&t=ffsb

Did someone pee in your raisin bran today?

13. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

LOL! :rofl: That made me laugh...needed that. ;)

14. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

I'm not really sure how we can condemn a ammunition as a gimmick without results on actual soft targets.

That being said I just use plain old JHP rounds and I'm happy

15. phil_d12

phil_d12 Member

Man I really thought is was a good round but from all the youtubing and research I figured it would be a good carry round but I guess I will stick with the good ole hollowpoints

16. ArmyRover

ArmyRover Supporting Member

Watching this video I see some promise in the round. Pretty interesting to see the petals separate and head on their own direction through the gel

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldEgwp5ckWg[/ame]

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Keep It Coming, TONY! :D

Big difference, from a Ban... furthermore:

18. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

I am a firm believer that most any round, that scores a hit, will make an attacker stop and re-think his next move. It's 80+% unlikely you will even score an effective hit in the heat of it. For defense and carry I buy the cheapest JHP that I know cycles reliably. $40+ for 20 rounds is way out of my price range.

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

I am a firm believer that presentation of a firearm into a terse situation will stop most threats.