Rogue Drones Have Met Their Match

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by buckeyedave, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Battelle’s DroneDefender™ is the
    first portable, accurate, rapid use
    counterweapon to stop suspicious or
    hostile drones in flight, providing critical
    security protection at home and abroad.
    The Battelle DroneDefender uses radio control frequency disruption
    technologies to safely stop drones in the air before they
    can pose a threat to military or civilian safety. The growing use
    and availability of commercially available drones – also known as
    Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) – is raising concerns among
    defense, security and law enforcement leaders.
    DroneDefender is an inexpensive, easy to use, lightweight, point
    and shoot system with a demonstrated range of 400 meters.
    DroneDefender provides instant threat mitigation, quickly disrupting
    the drone so that no remote action, including detonation, can occur in sensitive areas. This minimizes drone damage
    and the risk to public safety.
    This device has a cold start time of <0.1 seconds and an operating time of five continuous hours. It weighs less than
    ten pounds, depending on how it is configured.
    The research team which developed the DroneDefender drew from their own extensive military backgrounds, as
    well as Battelle’s deep technology expertise and its 70 year history addressing complex Chemical, Biological, Radiological,
    Nuclear and Explosive (CBRNE) defense challenges.
    Because it is designed to repel undesirable UAS attention without doing damage to the UAS, DroneDefender can be
    used stateside as well as abroad, with versions hardened for forward deployment in challenging environmental conditions.
    It can be either fixed or portable, with battery packs available to help protect any installation, mobile VIP or unit.
    To view a brief video of how it works, go to https://youtu.be/zx4XXLb_Vuw.

2. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Here is a rifle in action. Demo!
    Try this one.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ym7vqKIlB0[/ame]

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Here's Why:

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Rip magnatron and power supply from microwave oven. Mount in front of a satellite dish. Plug in and point at drone...

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Rack AR, point at target, pull trigger...

Yeah, I know, it'll kill someone a few miles away...but it was a joke ;)

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Translation:
    "We just found out the FCC has regulations against average joes like us using 'jamming' devices. Oops."

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jammer-enforcement
    https://www.fcc.gov/document/consumer-alert-using-or-importing-jammers-illegal

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  7. That would have been me lol.
    Jammers for all!

8. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Shooting a Drone can get you arrested but blinding a Drone not so much.

I have to wonder if Jamming a Drone is just as illegal as Jamming Cell Phone signals so you can drive down the road and not have people playing on their phones?

So here's where I stop talking and wait for those with the knowledge to educate me.

9. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Interesting. How well does that work?

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

If mounted in the feed of a 10 foot dish it will wipe a large portion of the microwave bands just via overload. pretty narrow beam width so need good steering and I wouldn't stand behind the dish if it is mesh... Or stand on the edge at all... spillover is going to be pretty bad with minimal waveguide on the magnetron...

And yes this is illegal! And dangerous so don't try it if you plan on having kids! Sticking your head in front of the dish might cook your eyeballs!

11. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    So Mary has an observatory, is sending radio signals to the moon and building radioactive death rays? Nope. Nothing to worry about here.

12. SWAGA

Bouncing off the moon Cic, bouncing off the moon....get your facts straight ;)

Honestly I'd like to try that microwave death ray thingamajig.

13. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Bouncing them to what planet and species?

14. SWAGA

The planet Xenu.....

15. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Europe... which is a different planet these days...

16. It's completely illegal. If you don't belive me I'll go looking for the FAA legal document again. But I'd rather not.
    If it's in your yard and legal to shoot guns in your yard (IE the country) it's not illegal.
    I can shoot anything in my yard.
    The people who have gotten in trouble for shooting the drones never have charges pressed for killing a drone. It's always public discharge of a weapon, or public endangerment

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I still say just build a HERF gun and knock 'em down. It's not "jamming" and that's not it's intention. Plus, don't tell anyone about it. When the "drone" (RF four fan copter) just "dies" and drops in your yard and the owner comes looking for it, play dumb. "What? Don't know nuth'n. I wuz just mind'n my own business when your fly'n thingie died. I think the camera was damaged in the fall."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Its fun to watch herf guns knock coconuts out of trees. I wonder what the effect of it on a drone would be