Roll pins vs solid pins

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by mr_flintstone, Nov 27, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I recently bought a SCCY CPX2 pistol. I thought hey, it's American made with a lifetime warranty. Unlike Hi Points, though, there is an inherent problem with the SCCYs. The frame pins like to walk out after a hundred rounds or so.

I've not done it on handguns, but I've used roll pins to replace solid pins on farm machinery because they seem to hold better. I don't know the diameter of the frame pins, but they are somewhere around 1/16th inch. Does anyone know of a source of roll pins this small? And would there be any drawback to using roll pins for this?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Go to any hardware store. They've got them in a gazillion sizes. Pick one that fits.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

SCCY has over sized pins to correct the issue. Give them a call

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

But they're probably 5x more expensive than the same one from Ace Hardware.

5. mr_flintstone

I picked up a couple roll pins at the local hardware store. 10 cents each. Before I try them, do you guys think the will be strong enough. I've not lost anything by buying them, but I don't want the gun to fly apart if they are too weak.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

Unless they're made of glass or plastic, they'll be fine.

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

How about free? SCCY has excellent customer service. Call them, you will have the oversize pins in a few days.

8. lsi1

lsi1 Member

agreed good people down there in Florida they will take care of you.

9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I would prefer the roll pins. I have collected a few CZ82 and found that in later years they replaced a few solid pins with roll pins. I prefer the bit of compression given by the roll pins.

10. greg_r

Have your pins actually walked yet? Mine never have, just curious. I know it has been an issue for some.

11. mr_flintstone

Not all the way out. I've been watching them, and the front one moves slightly out the right side; just the tip of the pin so far. After every 50 rounds or so, I push it back in with a small punch. The larger factory pins will probably remedy the situation, but I haven't been able to get through on the phone to them this week request some. I guess they've been off for Thanksgiving. The roll pin idea just seemed like it would work.

12. greg_r

I imagine they would. SCCY sent me a modified slide catch after my spring slipped behind the catch. I took it apart and fixed it my self. They still wanted to send me a new style catch. I would try and call them and get the oversize pins. They are a known fix, and you are not out of commission. Maybe Monday will e a better day to get up with them.

13. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

Mine haven't either.

14. mr_flintstone

I requested some oversize pins today from SCCY. I hear they are a hair bigger than the original. I hope they fix the problem. If not, I've got two 3/32 x 1 roll pins that are 2 hairs bigger.

15. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    SSCY sent the oversize pins free of charge. :) My CPX2 fwd pin was slightly out after 100 rds. The aft pin was fine.

16. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I completely replaced the OEM pins with 3/16" barrel screws from a KelTec belt clip. SCCY gave me permission to drill the receiver.

[​IMG]

17. mr_flintstone

Can you give us a closeup of what those look like? Where did you get the screws?

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

He got them from a kel tec belt clip.

19. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

What he said.

20. mr_flintstone

I got the oversize pins today. I replaced just the front one. I almost didn't get it in. It went half way and got stuck. After driving it in 3/4 the trigger would get stuck if I pulled it. Once I got it all the way in, everything seemed fine again. I guess I had something in a bind. I took it out and shot one mag through it, and everything worked as it should. I don't think the pin will move as hard as it was to put in.