Ruger 10/22 - Customized Stock

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Strangerous, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I've been looking at floating the barrel on my Ruger 10/22 Carbine for a while now. After I got my "Play Stock" I contemplated on cutting the beautiful wood for 1 week.

I cut into it last night... PICS!

The Unknowing Victim
    [​IMG]

The Amputation
    [​IMG]

Rounding The Edges
    [​IMG]

Prepped & Stained
    [​IMG]

Side By Side, Action Not Mounted
    [​IMG]

Looking At The Business End
    [​IMG]

Finished Product
    [​IMG]

I lightly scuffed the stock until it was dull, then sprayed it with honey glaze, and as beautiful as it came out, i'm still thinking about staining it either grey, a lighter honey, or black(stain not paint).

Yeah, It's Floating. There was way more involved than just lobbing off the end of the stock to get the barrel to float. I had to make a shim, and sand off material little by little to get it perfect. And It Is!

So, How Do You Like It?

2. Looks very nice. I like the idea of staining it lighter too.

Let me know how it shoots. I'd like to know just how much improvement that work gained you.

3. I like that look Strangerous, you did a great job on it. Like NDS said, let us know how it shoots with that floating barrel....

Also, have you ever considered a bull barrel for that rifle? Since you no longer have the barrel band on there, it may be a viable option for target shooting. Of course, that is if you like shooting paper....

4. Looks great!

Some 10/22s shoot better with the band for some reason. But it never hurts to take it off and try it.

I did the same thing to a factory laminate stock, cut the end off like that and channeled it for a .920 barrel.

You may know already, but 10/22s don't work well to be floated completely, they work better being pillared, as the stress of the barrel hanging from the alluminum hole can stretch it making it loosen.

5. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

i have it pillar'd half way down the barrel with a wood shim, RFH says i need to redo it with glass bedding instead of the wood shim... may do it after i get to the range, HOPEFULLY this coming saturday. (he owes me a box of CCI Mini Mags becasue he bet i wouldn't even cut the stock)

6. You did a good job cutting the stock down and rounding the end out, but I think it would look even better with a darker finish so it brings out the wood grain better.

As far as pillaring the barrel, use the shims to work with and then you will know exactlly where it needs to be pillared at so you get the best accuract from it. I have a glass bedding kit we can use to do the permanate pillaring with once you decide where it needs to be supported at.

7. PJAS

PJAS Guest

10/22 Mods

Hello All,

I ran across this forum while researching the 9mm Carbine.
    I was originally hooked on Ruger 10/22s.
    Don't know if you are interested in these types of mods. Ill post some of the ones I've done.
    These were modded from Airsoft guns.
    A lot of other modders have there post there too. Everyone has interesting methods that they use to do their builds.

For more information if you have an interest, you can check it out at
    http://www.customrifles.info

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

PJAS :)

8. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

HELP! I'VE BEEN HIJACKED BY A NOOB'S FIRST POST, HELP! HELP!

9. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

lol

I I like your 10/22 stalk. Although I have to agree with whoever said that taking the ring off would throw your shot off. whenever there is anything on the barrel it changes how the bullet flies, if you take it off it is bound to do it on the other side too.

10. SHOOTER Z

SHOOTER Z Well-Known Member

I don't have a 10-22 I have this instead [​IMG] Savage Mark 2 fvx bolt action. My nice little tack shooter with scope and Rocky mount bipod on it

11. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

now you have been hijacked by a noob's 885th post too... :p :p

12. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

All i have to say is...when you have friends like you guys, who needs enemys? :lol:

EDIT:Also, since the I'm not a terrorist thread has been deleted, your statement of Shooter'z post count makes you look like an idiot. LMAO. He only has 881, and you said 885... man oh man.

:) :lol: :D

13. PJAS

PJAS Guest

Strangerous,

Sorry bout that.

PJAS :oops:

14. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

As I look at the screen I see Z with 885 post. ;)

Ok As far as your mod looks good. I don't think I'd be willing to do it. I surely would jack it up.

But The curiosity is gettin me a little, Just enough to ask if you could post a pick of the shim and were it is located.

I find this mod strangly interesting. :p

15. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

funny thing is when I came back to this thread he had 885 again.

16. Thayldt21

Thayldt21 Senior Member Member

17. SHOOTER Z

What can I say I'm good :wink: :lol:

18. SHOOTER Z

OMG I'm up to 888 posts now!!! :shock:

19. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

lol sorry to hijack your tread some more!

So have you had a chance to bring it to the range yet? you have to give us a range report.