Ruger 10/42 conversion range report

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Ok finally got out ot the range with the 10/42. In case you forgot this is it:

[​IMG]

I had set the sights basically to the middle of thier range and ended up not needing to adjust at all. I had no trouble keeping the rounds inside a paper plate at 25-50 yards. Keep in mind this gun has 110,000 rounds through it, so its no tack driver anymore. If anything the stock conversion IMPROVED performace as i had many magazine related problems of late when the factory stock was installed. With my new stock about 90% of them went away. Other than a few stovepipes from weak ammo i had no failures to feed. Next on the list is a BMF trigger crank and a bipod of some sort. This now FOR SURE my favorite fun gun.

SW

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

That thing is SWEET!!!! Get that trigger and get us a video!

3. Space

Space Member

NH
    With the price of ammo going up and up. I think it's time to get me a 10/22.

Looks pretty sweet....

4. Silicon Wolverine

.22 is the vast majority of my fun shooting now. I shoot centerfire pretty much only for steel competition or an occasional round of trap.

SW

5. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Ok what exactly did you do SW? That looks sweet, and I think I might want to rip you off on the idea.

6. neothespian

neothespian Member

Did I mention that think just looks f'ing cool?

Worth repeating.

7. Silicon Wolverine

Simple.

1. buy a ruger 10/22
    2. buy a cherokee stocks MG-42 conversion kit (SG is the cheapest)
    3. Buy a butler creek 25 rd magazine
    4. Install
    5. ENJOY

SW

8. Space

Space Member

NH
    Any special vairant of the 10/22 or just the plain jane one?

The ones I have been look at on ImpactGuns.com come in diferent barrel lengths.

9. Oneofsix

Oneofsix Member

NC
    I almost wet myself-
    when I saw "10/42 conversion range report", the 995 to a .32NAA conversion came to mind and I thought "someone converted a 10/22 to .40S&W! :shock:
    starting getting old is starting to suck, enuff of my rambling

Sweet looking 10/22 tho! :D

10. Silicon Wolverine

This was originally an "all-weather" model with stainless finish and synthetic stock. I was tired of the stock and current configuration (golly gee ive only had it that way for 10 years) and i ended up doing it like this instead of going like verybody else with bull barrels and wacked out target stocks.

SW

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

Ok.

I was reading the post again, and saw something about a "BMF trigger crank", and was thinking.....a trigger crank? So I googled it and...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I. Want. One.

Need a .22 with large capacity magazines, or a larger setup for the SKS. Either way, me want. Alot.

12. Silicon Wolverine

you get one guess what the initials BMF stands for...

SW

13. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

14. Silicon Wolverine

15. Now we just need a belt feed conversion :)

Funny, I posted a want ad for a 10/22 on my local forum today, although I want one for a hi-cap mini blaster (trim the barrel to legal min without an SBR, folding stock, Eeeevil black looks etc).

Every time I hit the range I end up spending more time with .22's than anything else, so why not make myself an Eeeevil Black Rifle one?

16. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

With the 10/22 I have now I will do the little "evil black" rifle like SW. Than I am going to buy another one and do the "Ultimate"10/22 for longer range tack driving.

17. hp4lyfe

hp4lyfe Member

excuse me while i clean up this wet spot

18. elguapo

elguapo Guest

SW: any chance on a vid of it?

19. Silicon Wolverine

waiting on the bipod and crank yet. when i get it all together ill get vid of it for you guys.

SW

20. Dreamthief

Dreamthief Senior Member Member