Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not long after the Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 300 BLK became available, I purchased one to complement my AR and Handi Rifle so chambered. I liked the rifle, but had feeding issues. Misery loves company, so I bought a Ranch Rifle in 223 to complement my AR‘s and Handi Rifles so chambered. It worked better, but still had issues. And what is it they say about three’s? I bought a Ruger American Predator in 308. Do not have an AR10, (parts, but no receivers), but I do have a Handi Rifle in 308. Yep, magazine issues. I bought sleds for the rifles and used them as single shots, but honestly, while I liked the American Rifles themselves, i just kind of kept with the single shot Handi Rifles.

My next AR build was the 450 BM, and I bought the Ruger American Ranch in 450 BM to complement it. The ranch in 450 BM isles a 3 round single stack magazine and unlike the rotary magazines these worked fairly well. The only issue being that the magazine was too long for the cartridge. Sometimes there is a bit of a hitch, but the cartridge always feeds. The Ruger American Ranch does not use a action length to match the AR style cartridges they are chambered for, but uses a short (308 Winchester sized) action. I tried the 308 Winchester cartridges in the 450 BM magazine and they fit. It would hold 4 cartridges of 308 vs 3 of the 450 BM cartridges, but it is a tight fit. The magazine worked perfectly in the 308 Winchester chambered American Predator. I promptly ordered some spares. Now I am a happy camper!

My next American Ranch was the 350 Legend. This was my first American rifle to use AR magazines and it works great. No issues at all!

Next American Ranch was the 6.5 Grendel. It also uses the AR style magazine. I procrastinated about this purchase as I believe that the 6.5 Grendel needs all the barrel length it can get, and the 16.1" barrel was just too short in my opinion. I wanted the American Predator so chambered. But I bought the rifle anyway for no other reason than it was in the rack at my LGS. Performance is lackluster, with the Hornady 95 grain VMax getting almost 2200 FPS and the Sierra 107 grain TMK getting 2000 FPS.

I spied my last (but not final) American Predator a few weeks ago at the LGS. It had the AR magazine stock, so I knew it was either the 350 Legend (which I was really not interested in, as the Ranch Rifle I already had suits me fine) the 6.5 Grendel (please, please, please) or the 223. It was the 223. Bummer, I was really hoping for the Grendel. But it will still make a good whistle pig rifle. It came home with me.

I like the Ruger American Ranch and Predator rifles a lot. I match them up with either cheap CenterPoint or Simmons scope and a set of Weaver rings that I purchase at Walmart. I have less than $400 invested in any of them set up with a scope and ready to hunt, except the last one. I have about $450 in that one. Pandemic pricing I guess. These are very good rifles that will do anything you could ask of them, respective of their chambering, at a very good price.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Do not have an AR10, (parts, but no receivers), but I do have a Handi Rifle in 308.
Well what are you waiting for?! This is the .308 M5 build you and I discussed a half dozen years ago, finally come to fruition. Me likey...

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to get off my arse and do it.......

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need the upper and lower. Everything else was bought from MidwayUSA long ago. AR Stoner parts.

·
Premium Member
36,066 Posts
Man...during the serious insanity of last year, the .308 parts were everywhere, while the 5.56 parts were back ordered to the max.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
Man...during the serious insanity of last year, the .308 parts were everywhere, while the 5.56 parts were back ordered to the max.
Not so much though, and they damn sure didn't stick around very long when they popped up as in stock. Still more available than the small frame stuff though. It wasn't just panic buying driving it either, it was pistol mania. I think the large frame AR parts market has a shorter accordion effect.

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
Barrel variety on .308 is very limited right now. Finding a 16" mid-gas nitride is a long wait.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The AR mag Ruger bolt actions are great rifles. I have a Ranch in .300bo and a 6.5 Grendel Predator (long barrel).
My .300bo ran great on day 1, the Grendel was a bit finicky with feeding thru elander mags so I worked some of the sharp edges off the feed ramp which helped but with CPD or ASC mags it runs fine so I just stick to those. I think the stronger springs ‘pops’ the cartridge up with a bit too much force. Although elander 5.56 mags run fine in the .300bo.
Now if you want a light easy action, the Ruger tri-lug and AR mags isn’t it. But I’ve also seen friends fiddle with Howa & CZ mag issues trying to get them to run right and those aren’t cheap mags.
I also run 12” & 20” 6.5Grendel ARs and the 12” doesn’t lose anything to the 20” within 300yards.

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also run 12” & 20” 6.5Grendel ARs and the 12” doesn’t lose anything to the 20” within 300yards.
Just curious, what velocities are you getting with your 12" barrel?

I find the 6.5 Grendel seriously underpowered from short barrels. With 120 grain class bullets I get somewhat better than 2500 FPS out of my 20" barreled AR. Out of the 16" American Ranch that is down to just over 2200 FPS.

I tried lighter bullets in the 100 grain class to keep the velocity up, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the cartridge I think. Still, the 120 Grain Sierra Prohunter at 2530 FPS, or even at 2250 FPS is adequate for Bambi, Wilber. or Wylie at reasonable ranges, the operative word being "reasonable".

I very much like the Ruger American Ranch Rifle. The original 223 and 300 BLK dont get used much due to the rotary magazine issues - the 223 feeds better than the 300. But since I use sleds in them, making them basically a bolt action single shot, I like my Handi Rifle’s in those calibers better. The short 16" barreled AAC Handi in 300 BLK is just so ....."Handi". And the 22" barreled 223 Handi out-performs the 16" barreled 223 RAAR While only being about 2" longer.

The 6.5 Grendel RARR is a lot of fun, but it has not taken any game for me...yet. I expect it to work well within 150 - 200 yards on deer and pigs, (which makes it acceptable for 99.999% of my deer and pig hunting) and it would probably do for Wylie Coyote as well, but it’s not a rifle I would choose for groundhogs. Since I do not target coyote and generally only take one when they show up in the groundhog fields, it’s out of the game.

The 350 LGND RARR is a phenomenal deer and pig rifle. If I could only keep one of my American Ranch Rifles this would be it. A cartridge that I like to gripe about, but I really like the darn thing!

And finally the RARR in 450 BM. Pig medicine par excellenc. Nuff said.

One Ruger American Ranch Rifle that I do not own, but have had the pleasure of shooting is the 7.62x39. I have an ammo can full of the cartridges just waiting on the rifle. Never heard anything but good about this rifle and to take a line from Will Smith. "I gotta get me one of these!"

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,475 Posts
Barrel variety on .308 is very limited right now. Finding a 16" mid-gas nitride is a long wait.
Lotsa 308 newbs buying up the crap, huh?
I get the point, but they might as well man up
and do an 18" barrel minimum.

Good to see the panic was mostly limited to the
small caliber stuff on a -15 plaform 💪

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
Lotsa 308 newbs buying up the crap, huh?
I get the point, but they might as well man up
and do an 18" barrel minimum.

Good to see the panic was mostly limited to the
small caliber stuff on a -15 plaform 💪
I like my 18", I see no need it it being that long. 16" is the size barrel for my build. I have the barrel. Would prefer nitride or even chrome lined.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,475 Posts
I like my 18", I see no need it it being that long. 16" is the size barrel for my build. I have the barrel. Would prefer nitride or even chrome lined.
You are doing a purpose built rifle, and selected a 16" for a specific reason. I'd do one as well, and go 20"
for a "reach out and touch someone" version that exceeds my 5.56 setups.

For non-CQB applications, the extra barrel length is handy for power. If ultimate range is required, 24"
makes sense, but one may not feel the need to have a semi-auto at that point. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
21,458 Posts
16" can reach out a ways. Planning on desert or prairie shooting?

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,475 Posts
More like I'm thinking maximum retained energy at the ranges I can shoot.
Nice to have the options tho.

·
No Longer Here
25,053 Posts
I'd do one as well, and go 20"
for a "reach out and touch someone" version that exceeds my 5.56 setups.

For non-CQB applications, the extra barrel length is handy for power. If ultimate range is required, 24"
makes sense, but one may not feel the need to have a semi-auto at that point. 🤷‍♂️
I can reach out and touch you at 500m with a 5.56. (Top)

The .308 will catch you slippin' in the next county over.

16" can reach out a ways. Planning on desert or prairie shooting?
Yes, with the 20" and the 24"... but that's common for where I'm at and where I'm heading.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts