Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger LCP (not an LCPII) that ought to be nicknamed "Calamity Jane".

A few years back, it took a serious tumble down a roadway and got a severe case of road rash. I took it all apart, with the thought that I'd find a parts kit off one of the auction sites, and put it all back together. I switched over to carrying another small pistol in the meantime.

During the move to the Gunshine state, the parts I removed got misplaced. (The receiver was stored separately)
Eventually I finally scored an affordable parts kit, so great, just slap 'er back together and away I go, right? Not so fast Kemosabe, my LCP won’t fire, the hammer is in wrong position when compared to other comparable LCPs. And before you say "Adam, you put it back together wrong" I assure you that is not the case. I've reassembled numerous pocket .380s for others who effed them up after tearing them apart, hammers have to be in the right place or it won't function.

When I looked at the parts, they're stamped "Prescott, AZ” but my receiver is stamped “Mayodan NC”. But it's the same generation LCP, definitely not an LCPII, so what gives???

My receiver was manufactured in 2016, and I got to thinking that if the parts kit I purchased was from a pre-2013 LCP maybe that was the problem because in 2013, Ruger made a design change to "improve the trigger" but never designated the improved LCP as such.

So I called up Ruger's Customer Service to order a new Trigger Bar, Hammer, and Hammer Catch. The CSR said they'd sell me the parts, but strongly urged me to send the gun in for service and I reluctantly agreed.

To my surprise, they emailed me a pre-paid label to ship it back, and today the gun is scheduled to arrive at my doorstep. No estimate for repairs, just a notification it was coming.

Stay tuned...

·
Resident PITA
16,198 Posts
You'll get back your package of scrap metal and a semi-polite letter asking you to not send in assorted parts from three different guns.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll get back your package of scrap metal and a semi-polite letter asking you to not send in assorted parts from three different guns.
And I wouldn't blame them if they did... but that's not what happened.

The gun was shipped back all repaired, came in a factory box with a chamber flag and a silicone gun cloth.
"Replaced trigger bar. After repair, firearm was function tested using Maxxtech and Hornady FMJ without malfunction."
"Dear Ruger Customer,
Thank you for your support of Ruger Firearms.
With warm regards,
Ruger Customer Service Department"

I'm quite surprised -actually, I'm delighted- that Ruger did not charge me for shipping costs as a minimum.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So now I have a Franken-Ruger LCP consisting of a Mayodan receiver and early Prescott internals -save for the trigger bar. Which, BTW confirms my suspicion that replacing the Trigger Bar, (along with the Hammer, and Hammer Catch) would've resolved the issue I was having.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
That's great of Ruger, but did you get all your parts back, or did you not send the spare parts you had in with the gun?

·
Premium Member
36,700 Posts
I was looking to buy one but wasn't sure about lack of safety. Is it worth it for cc?
Safeties are a personal thing. And there IS a safety on the LCP, just like on every other DA gun on the planet. Long trigger pull.😉

LOTS of folks carry them with a round in the chamber, without worry.

I have the Sig P365. The no safety model. And it’s a single action trigger, striker fully cocked, but with some safeties involved in that trigger movement.

All of that said, IMHO, there are better guns than the LCP for the money, and similar guns for less money.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great of Ruger, but did you get all your parts back, or did you not send the spare parts you had in with the gun?
I sent the gun in assembled with the Prescott parts installed. They only swapped out the trigger bar. I happen to like the sights on the pre-2013 slide, they're very similar to my Kel-Tec P3AT, low snag. It's not going to be a target pistol LOL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Safeties are a personal thing. And there IS a safety on the LCP, just like on every other DA gun on the planet. Long trigger pull.😉

LOTS of folks carry them with a round in the chamber, without worry.

I have the Sig P365. The no safety model. And it’s a single action trigger, striker fully cocked, but with some safeties involved in that trigger movement.

All of that said, IMHO, there are better guns than the LCP for the money, and similar guns for less money.
Looking for something for my wife, at least until I finish my Tanfoglio gt380 for her. Saw a deal on the LCP and started researching it.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was looking to buy one but wasn't sure about lack of safety. Is it worth it for cc?
I think it's a great pistol for CC. I've owned a number of pocket .380s, including two S&W Bodyguards (one with the laser and one without) and I never felt I needed the safety. Let your wife handle one. I put a Hogue Handall on it, makes it very comfortable to shoot.
Trigger Air gun Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: SuperMario

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
@SuperMario - Listen to PK, then do your wife a favor. Get every CC weapon you can beg, borrow or steal and take her to the range. Let her handle and shoot them all. Biggest mistake we husbands make is picking a gun for our wives. DON'T! She's gonna use it and carry it and maybe trust her life to it. Let her pick it. My Babygirl carries a .22 Walther. She loves it and can out shoot me most days. Not what I'd have picked, but it's what she felt comfortable with, She shot every gun I own or could borrow. Seriously, let her choose.

·
Super Moderator
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@SuperMario - Listen to PK, then do your wife a favor. Get every CC weapon you can beg, borrow or steal and take her to the range. Let her handle and shoot them all.
Uncle Ted, I regret I have only one like to give.

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Uncle Ted, I regret I have only one like to give.
If I could afford(and find) a .32 the size of, say a Taurus G3, I'm pretty sure she'dd like it BUT - her gun, her call. Seen too many guys grab a .38 snubby because "they're simple to use" and she didn't like it for a number of reasons. Babygirl didn't like the feel, the recoil or the noise, so she wasn't going to practice with it. Originally, she liked the .380 Hi Point, but - long story - health problems gradually put paid to that one. My daughter, otoh, appropriated my Rossi .38 for her own. She had a Taurus 85UL and din't like the recoil on it. The Rossi was heavier with a longer grip. We traded, since the 85 fit my ankle holster better. Now she want's a SCCY like her hubby has - same trigger, same recoil, more rounds. Yeah, I'm kinda past the macho thing.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
77 Posts
Responding to everyone. Is hard to get her to pick a gun since she doesn't want one. She says she already has me, so doesn't see the point for her to get one. I'm working on convincing her.

·
Resident PITA
16,198 Posts
"What about when I'm not with you?"

"Who's going to protect me?"

"I want you to be able to protect yourself because I love you so much and can't imagine living without you?"

"If I'm not there and anything happens to you I'll kill myself."

"If you really love me, you'll put my mind at ease."

Do you have kids? They're a great "guilt trip" tool. Use them.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
Got an EC9s missing a part, called RUGER CS and BAM! Arrived in a few days, youtubed the assembly procedures and fixed 'er right up!

Trigger bars for these guys will easily install upside down and fail to fire. So I marked this one.

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
It's hard in our current climate of ammo unavailability, but you've got to take her shooting.
So she doesn't want a gun. Why? Gotta find out specifically why. Did she have a bad experience? Do they just scare her? Is it the recoil? Or her physical strength level? Is she struggling with beliefs she holds or held a out them?

I think once she gets a little shooting under her belt and realizes how empowering it is for a woman, maybe she'll open up to it more.

Show her stuff like tacticafashion.com or stylemetactical.com so she can see that there are lots of concealed carry accessories and options for women.

Get her into a class- I don't care who you are, training never hurt anyone- and make sure she knows cooper's 4 rules.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts