Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my name on the list for a Ruger LCP and might have it within a week.

Is anyone here experienced with the LCP?
Any Pros or Cons?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
they were recalled for multiple isues including:

the peening of metal parts prematurly (poor metal tempering)
multiple cases of trigger problems
and most disturbing, the pistol would fire when dropped on a hard surface.

Also ruger customer service since the LCP and SR9 recalls has been poor to downright awful according to multiple ruger forums ive looked at. personally its a no-buy for me.

side note: im not biased agaisnt ruger at all, ive owned several of thier products over the years.

SW

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I've owned my LCP since September. I had it for about three hours before the trigger mechanism broke (prior to shooting it). Off to the factory it went. When it came back I took it to the range and was shooting WWB through it. It was decently accurate but kept climbing out of my hand. I got online and purchased a couple of finger-rests for the magazines. HUGE difference. Now it's completely controllable. I wondered at the time why in the world Ruger didn't offer finger-rests themselves.

Then I got the recall notice saying I'd have to ship it back for the second time (and for my trouble they're offering another magazine equipped with their new finger-rest :cantlook: ). I have the UPS box sitting here but I've got two other guns down for barrel threading and I don't like having that many guns out of commision at once.

Haven't had many rounds through it (<500 rd break-in period) but no FTF/FTEs to speak of. The only odd thing it does is if you have the slide held open (it's manual slide hold-open only, will not lock back on an empty mag) and slam a fresh magazine in, about a third of the time the slide will close without you pressing the close-lever. Not a problem if you have trigger finger discipline but thought I'd mention it.

Overall, it's a handy little carry gun, especially in hot weather. Completely disappears in an IWB holster or pocket (or mini BOB). Perfect for joggers. If I had the funds I'd definitely get a Crimson Trace for the li'l bugger as the sights are very hard to pick up (some florescent paint would help).

I rate it a 7.5/10 for its intended purpose.

-'bridge

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Nice review.

Don't have one. Many would rather the Keltec P3at - which some claim was copied for the LCP. The P3at isn't as cute, but it has a longer history of reliability.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i found one claim of catastrophic failure associated with the drop safety problem. a guy dropped his pistol and it landed with teh muzzle flush to the floor. the gun fired and the barrel and slide split when teh bullet hit the floor (concrete). this was on rugerforums.

SW

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I got mine last summer. Gun shoots relatively accurate for such a small pistol. Lotta' snap for a .380.
I sent it in for the recall 5 weeks ago. They were professing to turn them around in 1 week.
Took 4 weeks for me to get it back.
Two days after I got it back I received a postcard from Ruger telling me there would be a 4 to 5 week delay on returning pistols
that had been turned in for the recall.
They said they would send along a new mag with the new finger rest on it as a reward for your patience. They did send a new mag, but not one with the finger rest.
Not really complaining, but I was somewhat disappointed.
They did mill out the peened area,(I had filed off part of the material myself beforehand.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts