ruger mark III and 22/45 and general 22 question

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by andrew241, Jan 3, 2008.

1. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    So question about the rugers. I know the 22/45 has 1911 style grip angle and similar placement of the controls but is that the main diff between that and a Mark III? I am looking for a nice 22 plinker and the 22/45 is cheaper than the Mark III. I would rather have the 22/45 for the similar grip but still want the options that come for a Mark III like grips and such.

What can you guys tell me? I know we have some rimfire lovers out there.

Other thing, I am looking for a 22 pistol for under 300. What other options can you help me come up with?

2. Ari

Ari Guest

Dont know if you saw the post on my 22 pistol. I just went through the same process. I had read a few more negative post about the 22/45 not just bad but folks who were really mad at Ruger for messing up this gun... Not that all the post were bad. Just more bad then there was about the S&W 22a. They both had about the same good. I got this weapon with a 5.5 inch barrel hi-viz sights for $245 plus tax (New)

[​IMG]

3. Mechanically and reliability speaking there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ruger .22's. Some may not like the angle of the grips or whatever but it is hard to find a more reliable or accurate .22 pistol. Personally I have a Mark and love it. I'll add another Ruger, likely a Hunter, and see no reason not to love it too, lol.

That isn't to say the S&W or any other brand is a lesser gun, they maybe are not. I'd be happy with any of those as well so long as they perform, I'm just a gun addict. But if I can only have one .22 pistol I will, without hesitation, choose the Ruger again and again. Have fun, good luck. :)

4. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    my g-pa just got a 22 SW pistol that looks similar but it has giant arse wood grips on it. I would love to have both but... lol

5. I believe that the standard Mark pistols are a metal frame and my Mark 22/45 is a polymer frame.

I modded my 22/45 to take standard 1911 grip panels so I can customize it if I want. Feels much better in my hand now too.

I love it EXCEPT it will not feed hollowpoints reliably. If I feed it round noses, it feeds them all day long with no jams but you try hollowpoints, the flat point will jam up against the tip of the feedramp.

Other than that, no problems.

6. Bob is right. The standard MK III, with the Luger/Glock" grip is metal framed. The 22/25 is polymer. Which is "best" is just a matter of which you like best.

The only people who think Ruger "ruined" the pistol with the MK III modifications are the ones who like to make mountains out of molehills. There isn't a dimes worth of difference between the MK II, and the MK III (Or the Mk I for that matter).

The often whinned about difficulty of stripping and reassembling a Ruger is in the same class in my humble opinion. If you can't read or follow directions, you will probably have problems with them. If however, you can read, and will admit the fellow who wrote the book might know about it than you, and will follow the directions, it's no problem. Follow them to the letter because each step is important.

My 22/45 shoots dime size groups (50 shots) at 7 yards offhand all day long as long as I do my part. The center of the target is just gone. It jammed a few times at first, but after 500-1000 rounds it just runs like a watch. I even clean it once in a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. I have a 22/45 (MkII series) and my only complaint has been with the grip, what you buy is what you get unless you do some serious custom work so it will accept 1911 grip panels. Orginally my gun came with a 5.5" stainless bull barrel and was not drilled/taped for a scope or dot sight. Wanting a lighter pistol for field/pack carry I bought a 4.5" Tactical Solutions PacLite upper, it came with rail installed as well as open sights. Here is what my 22/45 looks like with the PacLite upper..

[​IMG]

The S&W 22A is another nice, under $300, rimfire pistol well worth checking out. They come with open sights and intergal scope rail and the ability to swap barrels. You can get a short barrel for field carry and a longer barrel to scope and use for hunting or target shooting.

Browning Buckmarks are another under $300 pistol, but I dont like the idea of removing the sights to field strip them for a good cleaning. Never could get a 100% sight reset after a thorough cleaning so I sold the Buckmark Camper and bought the 22/45.

8. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    So you can use components off of a Mark III on a 22/45? But you can mod a 22/45 to accept the 1911 grips huh.

9. andrew,

To mod the 22/45 for using 1911 grip panels you have to grind out the molded panels then install a threaded bushing on each side of the grip frame so you have an attachment point to hold the 1911 panels to the frame. Getting the bushing holes drilled precisely is the hardest part to the mod, then you just epoxy the threaded bushings in place and do final fitting as needed to get a flush fit.

When it comes to internal parts like hammer, sear etc etc, the items that work on the MkII will work on the 22/45 (MkII series) also. There are some internal differences between MkII and MkIII's so you have to buy Mk specific parts to ensure proper fit and safety. The MkIII series has a mag safety and round in chamber indicator so internals are a bit different, how much I am not toally sure but I do know when ordering internal parts you are asked if its for a MkII or MkIII series pistol.

rimfirehunter

10. Yes.

Here are a couple pictures of my 45 and my 22/45:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The pictures are rather terrible and show imperfections that really aren't there on the 22/45 grip panels/screws.

I can even put the standard GI wood grips on my 22/45 but I really like the feel of the oversized rubber finger groove grips (pachamyers?).

I also slightly modded the internal rail of the magazine well a tad to allow the magazine to just about drop free. Much nicer than when new.

11. Actually its not as bad as you would think.

You take the grip panels like mine. Place them onto the frame where you want it. centerpunch a divot exactly where the top hole should be. And then lightly mark the bottom hole.

Next take your caliper and measure the exact distance from the top hole to the bottom hole on a set of your grips. That will give you the exact distance between the holes.

Once that is done, you then place the caliper onto the frame of the gun and place one point of it on the divot you created and then center punch the other divot now more precisely where its supposed to be by the bottom hole lightly marked area.

That way you get the exact distance between the 2 holes, thats the most important part.

Once done, you can follow the rest of the instructions.

For the record, I didn't epoxy my bushings in place, I just slightly undersize drilled the holes and the outer threads on the bushings grabbed into the polymer nicely but if I wanted to, I could epoxy them.

12. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    nice guys.

Well I bit the bullet today and got a MK II 22/45. So its not a MKIII but I am ok with that. I got it used from a local shop for 225 with all oridingal paper work and boxes. Its the stainless version. I will see about some pics.

13. andrew,

What barrel length and which barrel?

Once you get used to the grip frame being a bit narrow you will enjoy it. I had a few issues the first 500rds but after that its been nothing but 100% reliable.

rimfirehunter

14. andrew241

andrew241 Member

Ohio
    here is a link to the specs

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdSpecsView?model=192

Its a 5 1/2" bull barrel. The guy said is a mk II series 22/45 but no clear marking on it that says that.

I took it out today and it did rather well. I am thinking about a red dot for it but its not drilled and tapped for a rail so I still have to look into that.

15. JasonJ

JasonJ Member

ive oddly never had issues with 100% sight in after disassembly with my Buckmark..

the ruger is defintitely a nice 22 pistol, i however did not like the 1911 style grip at all.. didnt fit my hand well.