Ruger Mini-14 Tactical in 300 AAC Blackout

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, Apr 23, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Well, someone must have wanted it!

Sturm, Ruger & Co. has announced that the Mini-14 Tactical rifle is now available in 300 AAC Blackout. This newest version of the Mini-14 rifle features an optimized gas port that cycles with both supersonic ammunition and subsonic ammunition when a sound suppressor is installed. The rifle weighs approximately 6.75 lbs., features a 16.1", 5/8"-24 threaded barrel with a 1:7" twist rate, and is supplied with two, 20-round detachable box magazines.

"This is an exciting addition to the Mini-14 rifle line," said Ruger CEO Mike Fifer. "The ability to run the wide range of ammunition available, from suppressed subsonics to unsuppressed supersonics, ... ​

Full Story:
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/4/22/ruger-mini-14-tactical-in-300-aac-blackout/

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

It's a mini-14 so eh, big deal.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I'll bet the poor souls in the Communist states will like it, though.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've always wanted a mini 14. No real reason though and never could come up with a good enough reason to spend the money. Getting one in .300BLK might be a decent reason. Then again, it would still be cheaper for me to just build an AR in .300BLK.

5. yeah thats the problem.
    IT is super cool and may help set in stone that the 300 BLK as a lasting cartridge.

But AR's are still cheaper and probably more acurate :-/

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

AR's are more accurate. That is why I got rid of mine.

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I don't understand the whole .300 Blackout hype.
    It's ballistically a 7.62x39 is it not?

8. Branth

Branth Member

Kinda. A bit more powerful.

The real selling point is the ability to feed in an AR magwell with original magazines and BCG, as well as the ability to shoot subsonic ammo without changing the gun.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, that's what they said anyway. They wanted something that was ballistically the equivalent of 7.62x39 but not in that wonky tapered case that doesn't feed well in STANAG mags. Oh, and you can load it sub-sonic and use a suppressor.

Reliable feeding in the AR platform is a big deal. I have a buddy who designed a mag for 7.62x39 chambered AR's which feeds reliably and it got immediate interest from a few "companies," one of which is now building, soon to be released from what I've been told.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

I'm with Swaga. I too don't really get the 300 Blackout. But if I'm following everyone, I can just replace the 5.56 barrel with a 300 Blackout barrel and I'm good to go?

11. Rachgier

Yeah, that's basically it. The .300BLK upper fits a standard AR lower and uses the same mags and BCG as the 5.56. Only difference is the barrel.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Basically. May need an enlarged port or an adjustable block if you are switching between supersonic/subsonic/suppressed/non suppressed.

13. Rachgier

Doesn't everyone get an adjustable gas block on their AR?

14. Branth

Branth Member

Yes, and even better, you can make your .300BLK brass out of 5.56 brass and use standard .308 bullets, so if you're a reloader, it doesn't matter at all if nobody carries the ammo.

15. Rachgier

That was the angle my buddy is pushing on me since I already reload for .308 and will be reloading for 5.56 when I get to CO. I think he's just trying to source me for cheap ammo, but if he's buying the components, I'll make them and shoot the hell out of them if I like his .300BLK AR.

16. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

.300 black out is a harder hitting rd out to 200 meters