ruger p94 promags?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by 60ratrod, May 10, 2014.

1. 60ratrod

60ratrod STFU CARL! Member

so since my 9mm p94 only has the factory 10rd mags, are the 15rd promags any good? or are they like the rest of the promags, where the functionality of them is more miss than hit? i'm looking to use my p94 for my local indoor range's uspsa/ispc shooting every other friday. they don't exactly follow the rules of uspsa or ispc, or give out trophies. it's just everyone getting together to have fun and get themselves some bragging rights, which is just up my alley:D

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

cant speak for the Ruger units, but ive had a few ProMags for my AK's and they are complete crap. the springs suck, the polymer is slick and brittle, and they are complete garbage.

3. RobbK

RobbK Member

I have tryed 3 different kinds of promag mags all were utter crap I can not recomend enough you avoid them like the plauge

4. 60ratrod

i guess it's a good thing i came across Mec-Gar. but i figured i'd ask just to make sure that all promag is pretty much junk

5. Branth

Branth Member

I don't bother with ProMag. Mec-Gar is awesome, though. I know they actually make factory mags for a couple gun manufacturers.

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

Mec-Gar make ALOT of factory mags for Browning, CZ, KelTec,Ruger,S&W,Sig Sauer,Kimber,Beretta and Taurus. and aftermarket mags for many many brands, while i dont have any of thier aftermarket mags, with a list of people they supply for, i'd safely say they make some great mags!

7. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    On the other hand, I have had zero issues with my promags for the M&P9, and I bought 2 for my Son's M&P9c, which uses the longer mags with a spacer sleeve (made by S&W)

Hit and miss with promag, depending on brand it is for.

8. desertrider

desertrider Member

Years ago I bought a ProMag for my Mini 14 and had to mess with the feed lips quite a bit and stretch and re-shape the spring before I could get it to feed reliably. Once it was done it worked well and has been in use ever since.

I know the owner of one of my LGS's pretty well, and he had picked up an H&K USP with several mags, and two of them were ProMags. Since he didn't want them, he asked if I could use them, so I snagged them since he was letting me have them both for half the price of a single USP mag. Guess I got lucky, 'cause they've worked with no problems.

9. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'll just echo what the others have said. There are companies that make decent stuff for a good price and then there are companies that sell cheap garbage. Promag is definitely among the latter. I've tried Promags in my AK and CZ75B and I'll put it like this, it is the only time either of them have ever jammed on me. They didn't function correctly at all so when I say "my AK/CZ75 has never jammed on me" I'm talking about with the factory mags. I wouldn't trust Promags for anything other than training/range mags and even then there are better options.

10. I bought 4 of these last year for a P95 and have had no problems with them

11. 60ratrod

Well before I came across the Mec-gar mags, all I was finding was the promags with more capacity than my factory 10rd mags.

12. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Oh, yeah... bought 2 of the promag 20 round mags for my KelTec Sub2000 (40 S&W) configured for the
    Beretta 96, and it has been perfect. They were the same body as the 32 round promag, but they are
    "pinned" to make it 20 rounds. I can actually get 23 in there, but the last one is rather tight.
    I go 20 for long term storage, 22 for immediate use.