Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before anyone flames...IT IS NOT GOING TO REPLACE MY 995. I would like honest input from anyone who own's, shot, or handled one of these carbines. I went to the store to buy a glock...didnt have enough, Instead of walking away I bought a ruger pc9 9mm carbine the guy threw in 4 extra mags and a hat. how do these things shoot? are they reliable and accurate? I got it now so it's past the point of no return but I have been reading good reviews and bad reviews...kinda the same story of my 995 that I absolutely love! why did I buy another 9mm carbine if I had the 995...well I dont know and kinda kicking myself in the nads for doing it now that I'm back here at work reflecting for the last two hours on my spent wad!

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Most of the gun rags had a field day tearing them apart for all kinds of odds and ends. personal expierence is limited to fondling them in gunshops. they came across as flimsy, and rather un-ergonomic to me. they just didnt fit me well and the price tag being twice what the 995 next to it was kinda turned me off.

SW

·
Registered
850 Posts
I remember looking at one of these and it wasn't my favorite gun in the world. I've never heard anything too terrible about it, or at least nothing worse than things about the 995, but I just didn't like the price of it compared to the 995 very much. The one thing I didn't like about it the most though was that I thought it looked a lot like my little marlin .22

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If it's anything like the rest of the Ruger line, I'm sure is decent "enough" while being 2 to 3 times too expensive. That's just my experience. That being said, I'd STILL love to get a 10/22 and one of their target .22 autos!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have dome a little looking around and it accepts any p series ruger pistol in 9mm so I could sell off my taurus millenium and get a p89...thats on the same price level as my gun...and have a nice little bug out combo no need to keep up with different kind of mags and they offer a 17 round and 30 round mag for it as well...I found one listing for a pc9 police model...were these used by the police anywhere?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Owning a pistol caliber carbine has been one of my best firearms experiences. This is because the rifle cost me next nothing, the company that made it will repair it no questions asked, and it always works. This is the HiPoint guarantee, as much as I've looked at the Rugers, foldable Kel-Tecs and that Monster Beretta Storm, I realize I already have a toy that takes a 9mm round and slams it downrange, which is really all the above really do.

If I was going to spend any good some of money, I'd get a real rifle, like an M1 Garand.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have fired one a buddy of mine has one to mate up with his p89 I dont like how the mags load and ergo's arent my cup of tea, but I would say its as reliable and accurate as a 995, and it does have hicap mags. Personally I would take a sub2k over the ruger. Go getcah a Ruger P series pistol that take the same mags and you will have a really nice set up, stop kicking yourself you prolly needed a second pistol calebre carbine about as much as you needed the first one :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been lurking for quite some time now an decided to join today and it seems like I make a good decision. I've just recently become interested in the Ruger PC-9. I been thinking about the 995 but don't like the magazine issue (low capacity and seemingly a bunch of complaints about the 15-round and the stock 10).

The Ruger as mentioned has the benefit of hi capacity magazines which, honestly, are just fun to have for plinking and possibly necessary in the right (wrong) situation. The last post mentioned a sub2K. Could you elaborate a little on that one? Haven't done any research yet and it's soooo easy to just ask ;)

I already have a 9mm pistol and just like the ease of only having to buy 9mm ammo.

Edited for political content that has been banned by the site administration

·
Registered
126 Posts
I read one article in which they tested the 995 and Ruger, side by side.

I think they both functioned OK but the author found the Hi-Point to be more accurate and easier to operate (more ergonomic).

But you already bought the Ruger and it's a perfectly good firearm so enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to do my own testing...I own both carbines also. I am getting somewhat negative feedback here on the ruger and on a ruger forum I am getting positive feedback on it and negative towards my 995...I doubt either will perform much better than the other...Most feedback is biased depending on the forum and not many people have shot one or the other. I am gonna keep the 995 in the truck and the pc9 in the car...I bought 2 17 rounders for it at the gun show so its already got an unfair advantage on the 995.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before any one flames this is my opinion...ONLY mine. I am selling the 995, there is no comparison I absolutely love the pc9...the 995 is an amazing weapon in its self and It did the job for a while, I really enjoyed the ruger this weekend, It was no more accurate than the 995 but no worse, shot from standing position and at targets and game, there is no difference, the 995 is a better cost wise gun but I really liked the ruger better, the high cap mags, the interchangability between it and the recently aquired p89 were scale tippers for me. I hate to sell the 995 but I need the money and its harder to move a 500 dollar gun than a 250 dollar one. any one looking for a 995? I am asking 275 and it comes with the original box and papers red-dot already sighted in and an extra mag.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
the 'PC' stands for police carbine, the way I understand it. I've never read about any PD experience with actual use. The one I fired was about on paer witht he 995, but I went 4095 instead, mainly due to money. Mag interchangeability is a big plus.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it is hold up fine, it is sprayed over a gun cleaned with alcohol and has been out on shooting trips to the range and field. It doesnt have any clear over it and isnt flaking or chipping away yet, there is a little area that has worn on the back of the butt stock but doesnt look bad just a little thin. it will scrape off but not hardly scratch off...if that makes any sense to you.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the reddot is a bass pro it is 70. then an extra mag is 20. you cant find a 995 in my area. and on gunbroker they are selling for that without accesories. there are 2 serious about buying it locally and it should sell this weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.