RUGER precision tactical bolt rifle

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by USMC_VET, Jul 27, 2015.

1. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Anyone seen the new tactical bolt rifle from Ruger ?? , looks like a really nice tactical rifle with some really nice features . It is available in .308 , .243 and 6.8 SPC . It also is designed like an AR platform with detachable box mag and also uses an AR style buffer tube . What i like is the tactical style buttock with adjustable LOP and cheek rest

What I've read about and the few vids available is this is a very nice rifle and priced very nicely . My LGS has them right now at just under $1k and the only comparable tactical bolt rifle right now close to the Ruger is the Savage 110BA but at $2600

I'm seriously looking at getting this new Ruger bolt rifle but not sure on caliber , maybe 6.8 SPC or .308

2. It sure looks cool. I'm not into it. But like you said its biggest competition looks like the savage 110BA that costs considerably more.

Long distance guys on Reddit sure seem excited.

You said a "buffer tube" What does a bolt gun have a buffer tube for?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    When I read it in the NRA rag, they said 6.5 Creedmore, not 6.8 SPC?

At under $1000, it would be a seriously good deal, IMHO.

Threaded barrel, interchangeable AR style or M1A1 mags can be used, single piece bolt based on the Ruger American, 20 MOA rise built into the rail, fully adjustable stock, but total AR parts compatible in the trigger, buffer tube, stock, pistol grip, safety, etc...it's got a ton going for it.

Has a new 5 groove shallow groove barrel, supposed to be more accurate as it doesn't tear up the bullet jackets as much, and centers bullets better in the bore than even numbered grooves.

The review I read said the accuracy was good, well under 1 MOA in all the guns used at a press unveiling that involved lots of shooting.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Two things.

It's where the bolt goes when you cycle it back, just like on an AR, only no spring, no buffer.

And it ensures compatibility with other AR stuff you might use to customize the gun.

The entire thing apparently folds out of the way too. It's how you remove the bolt for cleaning, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. Okay, so on this its probably just an empty space, that keeps the bolt enclosed as you cycle it.

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think that Ruger may have a winner with this. Building a bolt-action rifle that uses common magazines and is compatible with many AR accessories is really pretty revolutionary.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep. Mossberg started it with the MVP that used the mags, Ruger's Gunsite Scout did it next, and now they are adding the ability to use other stuff to the mag compatibility.

Funny thing is...there have been 50 BMG rifle uppers for years, so putting a bolt action on an AR lower isn't that new. It just seemed (and was) silly, when a semi did the typical AR job so well.

The thing that makes this one revolutionary is the long range precision stuff.:)
    It isn't an AR that is a bolt gun, it's a Designated Marksman or sniper rifle that shares components with the AR.

If they had done this with .223, it'd be a joke. But two of the three cartridges they chose are 1000 meter rounds with a history in long range target shooting, that carry serious energy at range...so it makes sense.

Edit to add...the .243 is great for target shooting, but the energy at 1000 isn't quite as high. I'm not volunteering to take a hit mind you.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  8. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The MVP, however, has a pretty flimsy bolt, according to someone at KTOG who examined one very closely with the intent of buying it. Apparently, the way that they designed the bolt to strip rounds from AR magazines wasn't exactly sturdy and looked to him like it would fail in relatively short order.

As far as the Gunsite Scout Rifle goes, it uses a proprietary single-stack magazine. It would count as something in the same category as this rifle if it had been designed to use M-14 magazines.

This, however, actually has a solid bolt that works with the AR magazines. It truly has taken the bolt-action field to a whole new level.

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Agreed, it looks like the whole package, finally..:)

10. USMC_VET

Once I recover from this recent knee surgery I will be getting the new Ruger in .308 :D

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Oh, come on, live a little! Get the 6.5 Creedmore! More velocity, better BC, less drift or drop, and more energy.

Stole this off the net:

“Why 6.5 mm instead of .30 caliber? Put simply, they sling the long, slim, high-BC 6.5 mm bullets at respectable velocity. It duplicates or beats the .300 Win Mag’s trajectory with less recoil than a .308 Win. Compared to the 175 Sierra MK fired from a .308 Win, the 6.5 mm will have 27% less wind drift and about 10 MOA less drop at 1000 yards. Despite a 35-grain deficit in bullet mass, the 6.5 Creedmoor will retain 18% more energy and hit the target 260 fps faster.”

12. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I'm all for the 6.5, I'm just a $1000 short....

13. USMC_VET

Reason for the .308 is I already have a Savage .308 bolt rifle and about 1k rds of that caliber . But you're right 6.5 creedmoor is a better rd out to 1k yrds and just a better overall caliber . The 6.5 creedmoor is just a few cents more per rd than the .308 so I guess I can start stockpiling the 6.5 creedmoor

14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There you go! That's the spirit!:p

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Retails for $1,400.

I first just passed over it since I'm left handed. But giving it a second thought, a right side bolt is ideal for strictly bench rest/bi-pod shooting. You do see a lot of left ejection ports on bench rifles for rightys.

I've been thinking about building a long range rifle for myself, but given the cost, the Ruger may be the way to go.

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

And CTD will thank you for your continued patronage.

17. Fracman

Fracman Member

Just ordered it from a LGS in Montana no sales taxes. The town and county that I live have added so many sales taxes we are at 9%

18. USMC_VET

My LGS has a better deal on 6.5 creedmoor by about 0.06 to 0.10 cents cheaper than CTD .

19. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm officially shocked. Lol

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Notice...our Marine buddy is in California, the land of stupid high prices, but the gun is under $1000.

You can get cheaper guns, but not with all those features.;)