Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
I own one myself and I love mine, the only issue I have with it is the springs in the mags are VERY stout I'm a big guy and I need the speed loader to get the last few rounds in but other then that it's pretty accurate. The trigger had kinda a rougher feel to it until I shoot it abit. I got mine in stainless for 400 bucks, which compaired to the XD and the G17 is a steal if you ask me, and their made in the US and ruger has excellent customer service. I'd highly recommend it. I'd recommend if you want more information to checkout gunblast.com he did pre and a post recall review on the SR9, also nuttinfancy on youtube does a VERY extensive review of it in compaired to the glock 17. I think he's done like 3 half hour vids of review and 3 vids of actual shooting.

·
Registered
367 Posts
the whole recall due to possible AD thing turned me off to them. the fit and finish is nice and they fit the hand well, but the recall replacement trigger on the one i handled was horrificly gritty.

SW
That is one issue I had initially to and I about didn't get it until I seen nuttinfancys review on it. As i've used it it's seems to of gone away. Not I noticed dry firering it without the mag in will give that feel cause of the striker block and if a particular example is dry fired without the mag in alot that will degrade the trigger pull. I still perfer a sa/da trigger pull though. But between the reviews on it and rugers customer service I got mine, plus it is a higher value to. To me the recall speaks well of ruger that they knew they had a problem, stopped production on their hot new pistol and fixed it. If you have an old one, send it in, and get a free mag for your trouble. They had a similar problem with the LCP and that guns gotten some rave reviews.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
the whole recall due to possible AD thing turned me off to them. the fit and finish is nice and they fit the hand well, but the recall replacement trigger on the one i handled was horrificly gritty.

SW
That is one issue I had initially to and I about didn't get it until I seen nuttinfancys review on it. As i've used it it's seems to of gone away. Not I noticed dry firering it without the mag in will give that feel cause of the striker block and if a particular example is dry fired without the mag in alot that will degrade the trigger pull. I still perfer a sa/da trigger pull though. But between the reviews on it and rugers customer service I got mine, plus it is a higher value to. To me the recall speaks well of ruger that they knew they had a problem, stopped production on their hot new pistol and fixed it. If you have an old one, send it in, and get a free mag for your trouble. They had a similar problem with the LCP and that guns gotten some rave reviews.
I had an SR9 pre-recall model that was unfired. Sent it in for the recall and Ruger customer service was great. The new trigger was gritty as described. Big problem was the barrel was peening very badly after only 200 rounds. Sent it back in for the trigger and Barrel issues. The trigger was reworked (not perfect but greatly improved) and the barrel replaced. However the new barrel started peening again at about 200 rounds also. Not nearly as bad as the first barrel but still quite noticable. I really liked the pistol. Had it not been for the repeated barrel peening I would not have traded it in on something else.

If the barrel peening problem has been resolved I would not hesitate to purchase another SR9 in the future.

Walt

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
where did the barrel peen at? that a new problem with them i havent seen yet in the SR9. ive seen a couple LCPs that peened around the front of the turned down section in the barrel from heavy use but that was hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

SW

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
where did the barrel peen at? that a new problem with them i havent seen yet in the SR9. ive seen a couple LCPs that peened around the front of the turned down section in the barrel from heavy use but that was hundreds and hundreds of rounds.

SW
I don't have any photos of mine since I traded it in. But I found some photos of essentially what my second barrel looked like after 200 rounds. It still functioned. And is minimal IMO and probably would have been fine. And I guess technically the second one wasn't barrel peening yet.

But after the major problems with the first barrel. I wasn't willing to take any chances. The first also had peening on the barrel itself. Similar to the LCP if I understand your reference point. Not just the normal surface scratches you would expect like the barrel in the photo. I still think there was something wrong with the material or manufacturing process on the first barrel. It only took 20 rounds for the first barrel to look like the second barrel @ 200 rounds.

I also included the link where I got the photos.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19774

Don't get me wrong I have owned many Rugers over the last 25 years and still do. And have always been treated fairly by Ruger's Techs and customer support.

FYI - I was shooting WWB Value packs 115Gr FMJ. Total 4 boxes. Same lot number with both barrels. No +p+ or +p JHP or hand loads.

Walt

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Silicon,

Wish I had pictures of my first barrel. These photos are nothing compared to that one. It actually got high enough to catch the slide @ 200 rounds. And the barrel had a small track (peening) in it.

Over at the Ruger Forum there still seems to be alot of speculation. Some say metalurgy, others say timing or slide barrel tolerances, etc. And Ruger has never given a solid answer.IMO Only thing is if it doesn't do this by 800-1200 rounds you got a good one. And most seem content if the problem doesn't get any worse than the photo.

FYI- I tend to Drink Ruger Cool-Aid but this was too much even for me to just blow off.

LGS has one for like $550 or around there, should I look into it?

It has the new two piece trigger and everything, and its not too gritty.

That barrel peening bothers me though.
My LGS (Vances) has the Ruger SR9 blacked stainless for 399.99. But also has the Glock G17 for 499.99, M&P 9 for 469.99, XD 9 black for 419.99 and Taurus's for $349.99 and 369.99.

Walt

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Holy shat that is some crazy good prices, and my local LGS only charges like $10-$20 to get a gun shipped to them. Whats that stores number???
I'll do you one better here is the web link. Just download their monthly flyer in the upper left corner. They have alot more stuff. Also Buckeye Outdoors tends to have more items in stock. So check both stores. Plus they have ammo too.

http://vanceoutdoors.com/

Glad I could help.

Walt

·
Registered
367 Posts
well shit im going out and putting about 200 rds through mine see if it does that, if that's a common problem I might have to trade mine in cause that's not cool at all. You guys got me worried now lol I've always thought rugers are pretty darn bulletproof. :mad:

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I have a Ruger P345 with about 250ish rounds through it and I haven't noticed any problems with the barrel. It still looks very solid. It's scheduled to be cleaned tonight so I think I'll check it though... hearing about barrel problems always makes me nervous as all get out.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I dont see any issues like that with my p345 but if I find it on my SR9 after I pump somemore ammo through mine I'm gona be pissed. I'll prolly sell the sob and buy eather a glock17 or a springfield XD9. Maybe I should make a thread which one of them is better and really stir up a hornets nest lol.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I was very close to buying one, then I read about the barrel peening and based on that, along with the lack of stated warranty (vs Springfield Armory lifetime) I decided to spend the extra $200 and get a Springfield XD-M 9mm. I have not regretted the choice, even though I would still like to own an SR9 somewhere down the line - it's a very good looking and thin pistol, and I generally like the option of a thumb safety.

The XD9 service is even closer to the SR9 in price, so it should be a pretty easy decision, unless you're dead-set on a thumb safety, which I doubt you are since your alternatives are the XD and Glock.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well I've gota SR9 and so far I ain't noticed peening but I'm gona go shoot another 200 rounds through mine and see if it happens and if it does I'll prolly have ruger fix it, then I'll sell it and break down and just buy something from eather austria or croata :'( I did the SR9 it is very thin and shoots good but that's not something I'll put up with in a fighting pistol and I won't buy a smith and wesson auto loader so that really leaves me with something not made in the US. I'm not really "digging" eather the glock or the XD I just "dig" owning american. You'd think all the guns we own we can make a decent striker fired wondernine here in the states. I will go so far as to say if the XD was made in the US when I got my SR9 I'd own a springfield right now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
phooie well my sr9 has some light peening on the barrel I've shot maybe 200 rounds though it and never noticed it before till I actually bothered to get it outa the safe and have a looksie so I guess I'll send it back to ruger see what they gota say for themselves. Now I've shot 200 rds of wwb though mine and mine is very minor but still I just got the effin thing maybe 2 months ago. Bad ruger bad! lol I'll send it in and see what they say. Good thing I got my 995ts to burn up some 9mm in. :'(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts