ruined my no issues record

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by greg_r, Oct 11, 2015.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

CF380 was 100%. I went and ruined it by converting it to a C9. Failures to extract. It's clean, so that is not the issue, I'm guessing the extractor is wore, but all is not lost. Going to call Mom in the morning and order new extractor parts. Of course I could take the parts out of the 380 slide and use them. Worst case, I can't get it to work, (I doubt it) I can just convert it back.

2. well, I haven't converted mine yet, but I am still planning on it. hope the ones for sale on ebay are not people with lemons trying to get there money back.

3. Pablo

Pablo Carbine Guy aka Zippy Member

It's just part of homesmithing. You'll figure it out.

Hate to say it but, think of baseball. Batting .400 is HUGE. As long as the misses are not safety related you are golden. My 10mm AR has been a real trial and learning experience.

4. TopGas

TopGas Member

Other than the "because I can" factor, I'm having a tiny bit of a problem wrapping my head around the issue of converting a .380 into a 9mm.:confused: Don't know how much the components for the "swap" cost (I certainly hope less than a new C-9) but for less than $200 (a lot less), just buying an additional gun seems like a MUCH better idea! A person would then have two functional weapons instead of one that doesn't function well plus a bunch of extra parts.:rolleyes:

My first HiPoint was the CF-380 which I purchased out of panic during the feeding frenzy of early 2009 :eek:. It wasn't long and I was wishing that I had held out and got a C-9 instead. Ammo for the .380 was scarce and cost more than 9mm. I had read some posts about "converting" the CF-380 to a C-9 (and will admit that I give it some thought :eek:). The local Ace Hardware had C-9s for less than $150 out the door so I went ahead and got one. No regrets (now) on either purchase. Both guns shoot well. As most know, the felt recoil of the CF-380 is noticeably less than the C-9 (a fact that someday may encourage my wife to join in the fun at the pistol range).;)

I'd put that pistol back into the CF-380 mode and start lookin' for a C-9. Just sayin'.
    TG

5. Well around here they are $180OTD and the used market is no better.

So its a whole lot easier to swallow $56 for the slide/ barrel, than $180

6. TopGas

TopGas Member

Point taken! But the fact remains that the OP went from a gun that functioned 100% of the time to one that DOESN'T! If he scraps the conversion idea, I hope that going back to the original configuration results in the same functionality as before AND that he is able to somehow get $56 back by selling the 9mm components.
    I find it a whole lot easier to spend $180 and get something rather than toss $56 out the window and have nothing. Just my personal opinion.
    TG

7. greg_r

If I had anywhere the cost of a new C9 invested, I would not have done it. I bought the CF380 used but never fired with 2 50 round boxes of Remington FMJ and a 25 round box of Speer Gold Dots for $100. Discount the ammunition and I Figured to have somewhere around $50 in the pistol. I bought the slide, barrel, and recoil spring on an auction sight for $45. I guess I have somewhere around $100 in it.

In reality, economics had very little to do with it. I wanted a 9mm, I like to tinker, the Hi Point is obviously built around the 9, the 380 seems to be an afterthought (but a good one, I might add!), and the conversion was easy.

As for it not extracting, it's probably going to be an easy fix. Won't be the first time I have replaced an extractor. FWIW, MoM is sending the parts. I tried to pay for them, even telling her what I did, and was told no, they were warranty parts. Thanks MoM! Plus, if I can't fix it I can always change it back.

It's just a hobby. I did not leave myself in a bad way, I have other firearms that can fill in for a car gun.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  8. greg_r

Finally got the time to replace the extractor. At this point the only thing old in the upper is the slide itself. Everything else is new. Thanks MoM! Decided to go ahead and polish the feed ramp while I had it apart. I know, don't fix it if it ain't broke, went against my own advice, but???

Did not have time to put but 2 magazines through it today, but they worked fine. Extraction appears to be positive. Happy now with my conversion.

9. You did put two mags through it? or did not?

10. greg_r

Did. 125 grain cast reloads and 135 grain Federal Hollowpoints.

11. And? Back to functioning?

12. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    Yeah but add 124 to it you have another complete gun

13. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
  14. greg_r

I've only shot the two mags through it since, but they functioned fine.

15. greg_r

16. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

or better yet a series 80 1911

17. to some people $124 is pretty significant. Not to mention, the FFL fees.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah...that's like, a tank of gas, or one month of cable TV.:eek:

In my AO, used HP pistols are still running $120, the same as they have been for the last 8 years.

19. $160 +FFL here. Yes PA requires FFL on all handguns.

My tank of gas is $30
    My cable bill is $45

I dont get what your getting at?

I know most people it doesn't make sense. But to me it does. I wont get sh*t for my CF.380 its used, and you have to go through an FFL adds an extra $30 to it, or knocks that off my profit.

So for $56 TOTAL the C9 slide/Barrel Makes a lot of sense to me.

20. forgotenpast

forgotenpast Member

priorities, if 120$ is to much then that sucks and i wish you the best in life.

but that is not always the case, for example

if you cannot cut your cable for 3 months to purchase something you "DESIRE" i dont wish you the best of anything because you are not willing to sacrifice for the things you want