Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in August 19th I posted a thread on getting Windows7 rc for free use until next March 2010. The other day I got around to installing it and giving it a try. Nedless to say I was impressed with it. As most of you know I am more of a Linux and XP fan. Vista Blows. I hate Vista. wINDOWS 7 LOOKS SIMILIAR TO vISTA BUT WAY BETTER. aS 47_Mason_47 stated in my other post.. "Windows 7 is what Vista should have been." You can install it on your XP computer if you have the Disk space and run both of them in a duel boot option. Here is a link to an article on how to set it up with XP. If you have a 64bit processor opt for that 64bit version. It is better than I thought it was going to be. I will probably stick to Linux and XP but hey. It's worth trying at least. Way, Way better than Vista.. Sorry here is the link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248-63-install-windows-vista-machine

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Yeah man, it runs great on my 2005 IBM laptop (3.06ghz, 1.5GB RAM). Vista didn't like that thing at all. So far in my testing 7 is going to be a good OS. I'm actually looking forward to it's release (other than Server 2008, I haven't looked forward to a new Windows since 2000) and plan to actually purchase a copy of it. I'm still more of a linux guy and will use that as my primary OS, but I think that WIndows 7 will finally be the OS to get me to dump using 2000. Needless to say...after 9 years I'm ready for a change of scenery.

BTW, right now there's a free trial out of the RTM (release to manufacturing) which is most likely exactly what will be released in October. Those of you that didn't get in on the RC can snag that up and run it.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137398/Microsoft_offers_free_Windows_7_RTM_trial

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Don't forget about (forgotten computer magazine name) put out a multipage article on a theme/addon for XP to give the look and taskbar features of Windows 7 on an XP machine... I'll have to get the name of the magazine when i get back to work...

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget about (forgotten computer magazine name) put out a multipage article on a theme/addon for XP to give the look and taskbar features of Windows 7 on an XP machine... I'll have to get the name of the magazine when i get back to work...
I would be interested in that information. Please do. Thanks

·
Registered
4,755 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I'm doing this after i clean up a little bit... I will post pics later.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Here's a before and after shot... I suggest reading everything before installing in safe mode.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links that you posted. I followed them and then when I got to the download link I noticed that they have a version 3.0 that is susposed to be released tomorrow on the 9th. I already downloaded the 2.0 but I will waite and download and install the new one tomorrow. I have a question. Can you add and remove just like anyother windows programs or does it make a permanent change?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
There's an option for that... patch the files or replace them during setup.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
I assumed what that meant... the patching. If not, it's nothing a restore won't resolve (i created a restore point before i did the mod)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.