running dual optics on 995ts

Discussion in 'Optics / Sights / Lasers / Lights' started by jamian, Feb 21, 2015.

1. jamian

jamian Member

does anyone have experience running dual optics on the carbine and if so what is a good one to go with? I want to run a scope so that I can reach out as far as possible which from what I have heard well is a lot of different things some say you can reach out to 100 plus yards and some say 50 is all its got but anyways I want something for longer distances and also like a red dot or laser or holographic mounted to scope or a 2 in 1 so I can also shoot short just point and shoot. any help would be great. I have found several dual optics on ebay ranging from 50 to 150 dollars. it will also just be cause it will look good or in my opinion will be for the look im going for. Yes I know a lot of people have their opinion and will say its just a carbine its not made for distance and just run the iron sights it came with. Well just plain and simple I don't want to.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Its just a carbine. Its not made for distance. Just run the iron sights it came with.

Hey, you asked for that. And "no", I don't believe a word of it.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Here are a couple of inexpensive holographic sights that are available at Classic Firearms. I don't run an optic on my 4595TS, but if I were to do so, I might consider one of these.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/bsa-multi-retical-electro-sight-pmrscp
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/ncstarsightd4b

I don't know where to find them cheap, right now, but you might do an Internet search on the Bushnell TRS-25, also. Palmetto State Armory had them on sale in the run up to Christmas, but they aren't on sale there, anymore. Nevertheless, someone might have a good deal on them somewhere else.

4. jamian

jamian Member

5. jamian

jamian Member

6. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Why not? I have my eye on this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291333672218?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

7. jamian

jamian Member

Yeah man that one looks good too!

8. I understand y'all don't want to spend a ton for optics for a 300$ rifle. But I'll say this that eBay crap is just costing u more money. Wont hold up to recoil,won't hold zero, and in general will not last. Put it in ur vehicle hit couple big pot holes and u have to resight.

9. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

why not go with a set up like mine ,works very well !!!:D

[​IMG]

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Didn't you also say recently that you stripped off all that kit and retired your 995 to the safe?

11. USMC_VET

USMC_VET Supporting Member

Yep but only mothballed and could go back into service in minutes if needed

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Something im not sure youre considering, dual optics....they are both going to just be in each others way unless you run one of them on either a fulltime 45° mount, or a pivoting mount. They cant both be on the top rail inline. And swapping back and forth will require a re-zero every time.
    Yes, the carbine can hit at 100yds, but its not the best choice for it, thats just a fact. A good reflex optic and back up offset irons and you'll be set.

13. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I have a thread about coming up with a DIY "tactical scope" for my MP 15-22.. Some good discussion, and the same should apply to teh carbine.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/f277/scope-idea-my-mp-15-22-a-312538/

I ended up doing this scope

[​IMG]

NcStar 4X32 Compact Scope-3 Rail Sighting System with Mil-Dot Weaver Mount

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00469AJZW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MN3M4MSPLS4W&coliid=I3J3DSSZTJI1C1

But I haven't picked up a reddot/holographic sight to go with it yet. A couple of downsides are that

A - it is a bit heavy at about 2 pounds and
    B- to get proper eye relief, for me, with my set up, there isn't enough room to also 45 iron sights like I hoped.

I do plan on putting a small reflex sight on top of the scope. Something like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2NQ6XS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1MN3M4MSPLS4W&coliid=I3HCCQ2IPOLZVW

AbdTech Holographic Red and Green Dot Sight Tactical Reflex 4 Different Reticles

Attached Files:

14. muggia59

muggia59 Member

My nephew and I shot mine yesterday, and all it is is a trs25 cowitnessed to the irons. We did have to use a spotting scope to verify our hits. 125yds to his woodline. We were impressed. And the red dot (set to level 5) did not cover the target at all. 20" paper target. I am actually considering a 4x scope, but then, for my purposes it would be the only sight. Offset irons would be a decent option.

15. talon

talon the banned wagon

To me, putting the holo sight on top of the scope makes it difficult to get a consistant cheekweld. Without an adjustable riser on the stock, youll be using your chin more than your cheek.

16. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

For me, the holo sight will be more for quick, close up shots. Proper cheek weld won't be an issue. But that is a good point that could be important for some

17. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

18. jetguy35

jetguy35 Member

How about this? Anyone here have this? I have been looking into this for the last few weeks. Looks nice and have seen some good reviews. I think it's around $250. ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1433817861.258574.jpg

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I'd be curious to hear how well it works and how long it lasts. I was issued an ACOG with a Dr. on top of it some years back on a deployment. It was a nice setup.

20. thumpboom

thumpboom Member

Reflex sight

I added a light weight and low cost reflex to my 995ts. Took off the stock iron sights and I must say it now is way more accurate and fun to shoot. Its a Mueller quick shot, paid $41.00 for it on Amazon. Target acquisition time is great and have hit a metal plate out to 300 yds with it