Rust prevention

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by slade601, Mar 26, 2015.

1. slade601

slade601 Member

At the title says. I'm trying to find a good way for storage to help stop some surface rust on the ar. So far it's only the takedown pins and a slight bit on the trigger.

It's high humidity here all the time, so far it's just been sitting up high in the closet putting a coat of oil over the parts every few days. With the pistol I'll just throw it in a ziploc with a pack of silica gel and no worries. Any stuff out there that'll work good for this outside of a vacuum sealed bag.?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. Remington makes their Remoil that has a rust preventing chemical that for lack of a better description fogs or coats surfaces as it dissipates. I originally saw it in American rifleman a few years ago.

3. slade601

slade601 Member

I'll look in to that. Right now I've been using hoppes elite.

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
  5. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
  6. cicpup

Vermont
    I didn't say it was convenient.

On a serious note, remoil works good for my wall hangers.

7. Russians also used gun oil thinned with gasoline to lubricate their guns in ultra cold weather. Where as the Germans using regular gun oil had issues with actions not functioning in sub zero temps.

8. colthrash

colthrash Member

move to Nevada...

9. cicpup

Vermont
    That only works for wood AKs. With ARs the plastic dries out and cracks.

10. slade601

slade601 Member

I guess I'll be trying some new oils. Birdsong around here does the black t coating but, I'm not quite ready to pay. Not even sure if it works as well as cerakote.

You know cic. You had me thinking about putting a small amount of cosmoline on the external parts.:p

11. In my Midway USA flier I got today. there is a item you put in your gun safe and plug it in..

[​IMG]

here is the page to order it.

also. I got a 3 pack of rem oil. at Cal Ranch for $13 for Christmas.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  12. slade601

slade601 Member

Anyone have an idea how well a coat of clear nail polish would work. Let's say I use a hair dryer to remove any moisture from the part then put that over it. Think it'd work?

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

CLR seems to leave a nice film on my firearms... I spray some on cloth, and wipe them down

14. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I have found flitz gun and knife wax works good on my P11 and their known to rust. Or rem oil or Casey wipes work good to.

15. Bull

Does the gun wax gum up at all?

16. slade601

slade601 Member

I just read about something called tri-flow. It was oil with Teflon. You put the oil on and wipe it off I think it was? And it left a coating of Teflon.

17. slade601

slade601 Member

Oh god, my first p-11 was a rust magnet.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

No you put it on and wipe it of after it dries. I use it on the barrel, upper and lower and mags. The gun has not had any rust since. I carry it daily and they clam its good for a year or 6 months by the ocean. I have put it one once in a year and it still is working. Carbon wipes off easy with it on. I don't know what's in it but I use it and it works.

19. Bull

Thanks Moonzy!...... How's everyone doing there?.... Don't see a lot of youse guys.

20. slade601

slade601 Member

Think I'll be trying the flitz or tri flow. Did you order it online or find it local?