Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my 995 a couple of weeks, and love it, but looking at different reviews here and there I see that some complain about the receiver cover having a rust problem. I always keep my firearms "oiled up" and in a "dry" gun safe. Is this a problem with the product or the way they are maintained.... I was thinking of Dura Coating the receiver cover if it will be a problem in the future. Anyone else having a rust problem ???

·
Registered
44 Posts
How could it be a problem with the product. Bluing provides no rust protection. Steel with higher carbon content for heat treating rust easier. It shows that the receiver cover is not made of cheap soft low carbon metal.

I coated mine with a non rust ceramic bake on engine paint. It looks very nice and never has to be oiled.

GC

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why I was asking.........Why did you coat yours ? because you thought it was going to be a problem down the road, or just for asthetics

·
Registered
44 Posts
I coated mine because the blue finish provides no rust protection and I live in the humid south. I don't want to have to worry about always keeping it wiped down with oil. Also I like the parkerized look of the ceramic finish I applied.

Dupli Color 500 degree gray primer & then low gloss black ceramic engine paint. Excellent lower cost finish if applied properly. It cost $6 a can @ your local auto parts store.

GC

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, just wondering..I have used DuraCoat finishes on other projects and it is a little pricey but does what it advertises. My thing with the Hi point is, that the receiver cover looks like a poor bluing job, and does not look very durable. I'm in the Northeast and the humidity is not much better.......thanks for the info

·
Registered
44 Posts
DuraCoat is very good for doing custom finishes because it comes in many different colors; also it's great for painting items you can't heat in an oven such as plastics & stocks...ect. It's not any more durable than the Dupli Color ceramic paint I suggested above. The DC might be a little more durable because it's baked on.

GC

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the 995 Classic........I just added a Picatinny rail and a green laser to the bottom of the forend. I also put on the butt stock pad that Hi-Point sells. The plastic stock was moving around too much for me after every shot. I'm probably going to refinish the receiver cover in black Dura Coat, just because it will look better, and to ward off any potential problems with rust........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.