Rx eyeglass delimma

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by gregj, May 15, 2008.

1. gregj

gregj Member

What do you Rx eyeglass wears do, particularly if you have bifocals? I have progressive bifocals, and admittedly probably need a new exam and new prescription, but I find it very difficult to get a good sight picture with the target and the pistol sights. I can see the target with no problem, but I have to work to get the sight picture correct. I wind up having to tilt my head up so I can get the target/sights partially into the bifocals. Real PITA. :x

And no, I'm not doing lasik. :wink:

2. I've more or less given up on irons and put a scope on everything.

3. gregj

gregj Member

Cool! An excuse for more toys :D Thanks.

4. what are you trying to do? Example - if you're going to attempt to shoot pennies at 50 yards - you'll need one set of equipment / sites. If you're looking to see how your gun is shooting for, say self-defense, and you're within a couple inches at 10 yards, you're good to go. In SD situation you're looking for center of mass (COM) and you'll likely be shooting in close range. An EXACT site picture is not needed, nor will it ever be used, in those situations.

So the key for me is, get your objectives set, then improve from there. I have a gun I use for plate shooting events and I shoot it a certain way. My SD guns I shoot a different way. And I practice each it's own way - including site pictures.

Hope this helps a bit. It's almost impossible to set yourself up for target shooting and practice that way, then expect to be effective in SD. And visa-versa.

5. I have bad eyes, no line bifocals and they are a |PITA

Use a lot of scopes red dots and shotguns

As far as pistols, I just do the best I can.

6. gregj

gregj Member

Newskate9, good points. I'm not too worried about it for SD, for the exact reasons you stated. My desire is to be able to enjoy my range sessions a little more. I'm not happy with the sight picture I'm getting, hoping I can improve it, and would like to reduce some of the eye strain.

As Waltham41 stated, I may have just do the best I can with what I got.

7. doktor

doktor Guest

You may have to go to a straight distance prescription, ie drop the bifocal. My first job in the Army was as an optician, a lot of guys that had bifocals would have a pair of just distance lenses made for shooting, they would "look through" the rear sight, align the front sight and the target, seemed to work pretty well. Unless you have extremely adaptable eyes, you will most likely do that anyhow. It may be unconscious, but very few are capable of the amount depth of field that that would require.
    If you have a pair of just distance glasses, experiment with it yourself.

Doc

8. gregj

gregj Member

Good advice Doc. I have a pair of straight vision sunglasses, I'll try them next time at the range. Thanks again.

9. p7196

p7196 Guest

Cheaper than dirt has a nice pair of shooting glasses designed for those with bifocals. It is made by HySkore. It is the Pro optic sight aid , it eve has an occluder for your non dominant eye. For $25.97 it is not a bad deal.

10. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

I don't have bifocals, but shooting with my glasses is a pain in the ass. I should get contacts, but I purchased a red dot instead...always need a good reason for goodies in my book.

11. I've been tempted by contacts a few times, but eyes are sort of a squick for me, so the idea of fishing around on them with a bit of plastic on my fingers is slightly worse than the idea that only 1 in 5 rounds of ammo I expend is worth the time it took to aim it :)

12. Man, some things I read almost make it sound like having glasses sucks.

13. elguapo

elguapo Guest

I dunno: I wear glasses, and having them saved my eyes twice.
    Sure, they are uncool, but having sight at all, its a small price to pay, wearing them.

14. elguapo is right, they are a barrier that can act as safety glasses to a certain extent.

My main bitch is that once it gets hot outside, its usually humid, and my glasses steam up while shooting, and I have to keep taking them off and wiping them. Gets old after a while.

Tried contacts years ago, but had a alergic reaction of some sort so I wont go that route again, like I could afford it, HA :)

15. shotguns

no kidding! i have seen my share of older folks go with a shotgun when the eyesight starts going. might as well cast a wide net to make sure you got everything... :)

16. just got the "degug" error code on this last post....

17. GLASSES

I have shot all my life with glasses.rifle is one thing pistols another.
    I take a 1/2 strip of plastic electricians tape and put hole in one end.set the hole to where I look at the sights, on glasses.the hole is small.I do have a hole punch in my gun box.there are commercial units to do this.
    Lyman sells one.called Hawkeye shooters optic aid$19.95 #3112020
    :roll: :shock: :D

18. I'm in the same boat as NCLivingBrit. I wear glasses. It's bad enough when something gets in your eye(s)...but to intentionally PUT something in them? No thanks. No Lasik either. Would rather not take the chance of going blind trying to get normal vision back.

19. I heard there's some type of "progressive" or "transition" lense designed to replace bi-focals... haven't kept up on eyeglass technology since I got LASIK.

20. makarovnik

makarovnik Member

I hate progressive lenses and search online and you'll find most airline pilots do as well. A lot of people say to focus on the front sight when shooting, but I find it more important to be able to see my target and use a high visability front sight that I use to cover the center of my target.

So I would switch to a straight bi-focal or possibly even a tri-focal, non-progressive. You may even have to have someone measure the distance from your eyeball to your front sight and give this information to your Optometrist. Better yet, ask your Optometrist is you can bring in a toy gun for reference so they can get the distance and proper placement of Rx on your lense for shooting.

So you need to decide whether you want to see the target or the front sight clearly. The only way to have it both ways is to get mono-vision glasses that have distance Rx in one lense and reading Rx in the other. Of course you will lose some if not most of your depth perception if you do this. You may need to have a specail pair of glasses just for shooting. Talk you're Optometrist, I'm sure he's come across this befor.