S&w 29-5

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by duster066, Dec 20, 2015.

1. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

No need for any details here. I couldn't possibly say anything that far better shooters have already said over the decades Smith revolvers have been around. Instead I'll just give my impression of finally owning one of the best mass produced hand guns ever made.

I read once if you've never experienced a good trigger you don't know what a good trigger is. Since this gun is just a typical mass produced Smith and Wesson I assume I still don't know what a good trigger feels like. But I think I now have a clue what the guy was talking about. It's the best double action trigger I've ever used. Smooth, reletively light, with a crisp break. I do have a single action trigger as good, my Pietta SAA, but it's a custom cowboy action job. The stock trigger on this 29 is as good.

The lock up is nearly perfect, and the timing is as good as I can determine without a range rod. The metal finish is not perfect, extremely light machining marks remain you can see with a bright light at the right angle. The bluing is rich and deep. It handled my heavy 300gr bear load all the way to my Super Blackhawk prefered charged, so I won't need two sperate charges. It's an 8 3/8" model and shot my Bulls Eye cowboy boy plinking load like a laser, 1 and 2 inch groups off hand at about 20 yards. It took about 100 of those plus the 12 work up bear loads without leading the bore. The toughest part of cleaning it was getting rid of the 44 special carbon rings in the Chambers I bought it with.

This is just for those who don't know good revolvers, but have heard the stories of the Colts and S&W, and wondered if they were really worth the cost. I've shot lots of smiths, and own a model 12, but I've never owned an N frame and got to hold it, inspect it, load for it, and shoot it extensively as mine. I would say yes they are worth it, especially if you stumble onto a deal like I did. Very lightly used, near new for 499 bucks! Ya it's worth it.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I still hate you, but if you ever see a 4 or 6 inch 29 for the same price let me know.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/7/23/dirty-harrys-model-29-americas-shooting-star/

Dirty Harry made this model popular, again :D

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Everybody needs to own one of these in their lifetime.....once.
    Probably the most iconic handgun known to man.

5. undeRGRound

INDY
    I saw a model 629, 8.375" barrel, for a bit more but definitely a
    GOOD DEAL! Should have tossed it in lay-a-way immediately, but
    I am very hesitant at getting a new caliber started. Once I do have
    a gun in a new (to me) caliber, I purchase ~1,000 rounds just as
    quickly as I can. 44 Magnum is not one of those "cheap handgun calibers" :D

6. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

I have a 29-2 and agree completely. Everyone that shoots it raves about the trigger. I added a red dot and shoot it outdoors at a 50 yard range.

Attached Files:

7. SWAGA

What does the 3rd number indicate? 29-x

8. planosteve

Basically it is a revision number, model 29 is the original and -2 is the first revision. So on and so forth. Wikipedia has a breakdown of the changes by dash number.

9. SWAGA

And you couldn't post a link, you're gonna make me look it up don't ya?

10. planosteve

On my phone at work when I posted it, so yea look it up.

11. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

My serial number from the 29-2 puts it between 1969-1970.

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Fixed it for you, steverZ :rofl:

(I know swaga doesn't like the "B" word) ;)

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    So Dirty Harry himself could have used that one!!! :D

14. duster066

I sware man I'm the guy who never gets a break right? I can't say that anymore. I've bought 7, 8. maybe 9 guns from Frank. I never expect to feel guilty about it. Best deal ever.

15. fatal-bert33

fatal-bert33 Member

Maybe I will change my "handle" to DIRTYALBERT ?? Nevermind...my wife already uses that name for me....lol!!!

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Then TNT will ask you if your name is dirt ya'll Bert....

17. IM holding out for the good deals. I have wanted a revolver for aslong as I have been interested in guns. But I have refused to by the cheaper Taurus, Rossi ETC.

I'm hoping that some day I'll walk across a nice smith or Ruger and the current owner needs to pay rent. :rofl:

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    Nice Score, Duster...
    What did you do to change your luck? ;)

19. duster066

Exactly. That's my point. There are tons of ol six shooters, and no one wants them. They are terrific shooters, and having a few hundred saved can yield a deal.