Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
28,873 Posts
Wow, I was all hot for that R51 like you were, (almost) and then paused... I know you got a lovely R1 out of the deal, but did Remi kill the R51 in the process? It was a sweet looking piece, but I'm a horrible beta tester, and I lost track, and interest, at about the same time. :(

In the interim, I picked up a Ruger P85 and an S&W 5906, the Smiff was a real grab, or so I thought, but I kind of like the Ruger manual of arms a bit better... Need to shoot them side by side, same ammo, same day test. Both guns are very similar and from about the same time frame. Both feel great in the hand, good weight, etc. Plus I do not mind the Era of Big Hands, I have some pretty big paws for a guy under 6' tall. Go Figure!
Gen 1 was an abortion for most people. Gen 2 was really pretty good but by that time the YouTube want to be celebrities had smelled blood in the water and, regardless of whether it was a decent gun or not, were all looking to me too and just get hits for bad reviews. Bad reviews get hits, good reviews don't. But, yes, to a degree Remington really shot themselves in the foot on that. They came out with a stinker for the first gen and then less communicative than a government agency on problems, solutions, and eventual resolution. I blame freedom group, to be honest.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
No...it’s not. The 7.5 is a bottle neck round, this isn’t.
That's why I said "lite" ;)

...once they pull off the grips and slide, and see how LITTLE the metal frame is...some might be disappointed. It’s not that much of the gun.

That's the beauty of it, to me. Really.
Nothing wrong with metal, nothing wrong with poly. They both have their place. I like it a lot, you're kinda negative or "meh" at best, so don't buy one. I probably will, and my LGS #1 is high volume so I should be able to get one in a reasonable time frame, & price!

Cuz we get all the cool stuff, back east

·
Administrator
28,873 Posts
No...it’s not. The 7.5 is a bottle neck round, this isn’t.
And it’s BRNO, ya doofus. Quit talking like a 4th grade idiot.

And I’m sure a group of people will buy it BECAUSE it’s different in that way, being metal, and think they are old school cool, and want to carry the thing IWB. At 19.2 oz, it’s not heavy. They could do it.

But once they pull off the grips and slide, and see how LITTLE the metal frame is...some might be disappointed. It’s not that much of the gun.
If it came in the new 30 cal cartridge, that no one really knows anything about yet, I might buy it just because it's different. Sometimes I like different just for the sake of not being like everything else.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I wanna work at area 51 with you, plenty of time for interwebZ posting and such, apparently. ;)

·
Administrator
28,873 Posts
I wanna work at area 51 with you, plenty of time for interwebZ posting and such, apparently. ;)
I'm currently chauffeuring my wife around so she can buy a new car. I'm in the parking lot of a Honda dealership now. Hopefully she'll give me the high sign through text message and I'll be able to go into work finally.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
TFB has a review of the CSX. He rates it better than the Shields (1,2 & Plus). He shows it weighs less than the shields and says that with an aluminum body instead of plastic it needs less weight.

He also does side by side comparisons and shows it’s smaller than the shield plus tall/long. But it holds more ammo.

I’m not a hammer fan but I’m really thinking of getting one of these.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
That CSX looks real interesting. I really didn't care for S&W semi auto polymer frame pistols until I got a MP 2.0 compact 9mm. That sucker is a sweet shooter. This one looks about the same size as my Hellcat. Not sure about the trigger though. It doesn't have an accessory rail either, not that I use any.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
A bladed but SAO trigger, on a hammer fired mini, with a safety.

I guess there will be a niche for that, no matter how hard they copy the Makarov mag.
HK P7M13 did it before the double stack Makarov's started coming in. The Suomi submachine gun took a quad stack mag & narrowed it @ the top to two columns in the 1930's, and the design is known as a coffin mag. The Ruger Max .380 is using the same type of magazine. Designers do so b/c it saves the expense of designing, testing, and manufacturing a new trigger linkage that would go around a more-normally shaped double stack magazine.

Mole, don't lust after the SIG P938. Bought one for the wife, the pull is short but the trigger weight is terrible. Maybe lust after the little Kimber instead.

·
Premium Member
36,347 Posts
HK P7M13 did it before the double stack Makarov's started coming in. The Suomi submachine gun took a quad stack mag & narrowed it @ the top to two columns in the 1930's, and the design is known as a coffin mag. The Ruger Max .380 is using the same type of magazine. Designers do so b/c it saves the expense of designing, testing, and manufacturing a new trigger linkage that would go around a more-normally shaped double stack magazine.

Mole, don't lust after the SIG P938. Bought one for the wife, the pull is short but the trigger weight is terrible. Maybe lust after the little Kimber instead.
It may have been before they came in....but the double stack Makarov was being made long before the P7 gave it a go.
The P7M13 was HK’s third attempt in the XM9 trials...and it failed just like the other two.

In fact...I’ve NEVER seen a Mak fail like this P7M13 did.

The others are a sub gun, and a gun made DECADES after the Mak. They don’t even matter.

·
Premium Member
3,205 Posts
The Suomi was made LONG before the Makarov, and the Makarov only got a double stack coffin mag AFTER the end of the Soviet Union, hence after the P-7. The Makarov as issued and manufactured in the millions is a single stack pistol.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts